Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • There's a mouse loose in da house
  • squattingmouse
    Free Member

The little bugger has ignored the fruit bowl and countless other very palatable and easily spoil able foods but what has he done…

Eaten the lids off the sunflower oil and groundnut oil and had a gnaw on some rubber gloves. I have found 2, that's right 2, pieces of mouse poo so this is one well fed mouse as he ain't eating in our kitchen. As we live in a block of flats I've told our agent who is arranging for someone to come in but have discovered whoever installed the kitchen has left huge gaps behind the cupboards and round the edge of the walls where pipes come in out of sight.

I think it's a new addition to the house as the lack of poo or food going missing doesn't show him as being here for ages and neither has it been taking any nesting material. One consolation – with our kitchen being relatively clean we aren't feeding the little bugger someone else is…

Keva
    Free Member

you need one of these

scotabroad

Mousetrap + peanut butter = dead mouse

GrahamS

Get some mouse repeller plugs. They just plug in and make a very high frequency noise that will scare off the little bugger.

jemima
    Free Member

Don't you mean "there's a moose loose aboot the hoose" or is this some sort of modern gansta moose?

Jamie
    Free Member

Keva:
    you need one of these

A shed?

GrahamS

Top marks for the ironic OP name versus thread topic

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Get some mouse repeller plugs. They just plug in and make a very high frequency noise that will scare off the little bugger.
    POSTED 22 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

I found those a 100% waste of money – just get someone in to kill it.

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Hopefully company that looks after the block will get someone in especially as I've found where the little bugger gets in. Both me and the better half are allergic to cats so I'm contemplating some sort of python…

Tiger6791

Ours have chewed through the wiring in the house 🙁

I made a humane electronic trap with a sensor and magnetic trap door.

Used a peanut for bait.

Over a few months I caught 37 of the buggers before I found where they got in. Not the same one 37 times because I used to release them when I got to work 5 miles away.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Over a few months I caught 37 of the buggers before I found where they got in. Not the same one 37 times because I used to release them when I got to work 5 miles away.

and at your work someone was getting equally titted off at all these mice so got a humane trap and drove 5 miles….

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

and at your work someone was getting equally titted off at all these mice so got a humane trap and drove 5 miles….

Hilarious! I did that with a mole, took it over the road & the little git was back next day!

GrahamS

I found those a 100% waste of money – just get someone in to kill it.

I'm usually really against killing things just because they happen to be inconvenient.

But… we had a rat getting in, there are too many holes in our old house to possibly block them all, and my wife is 35 weeks pregnant.

So to our shame and guilt we got Rentokill in.

But we got the plug-in repellers as a final warning. It only seemed fair.

squattingmouse
    Free Member

I have absolutely no guilt about getting an exterminator in. I'll quite happily gas the little bastard to his doom. If he wasn't in my kitchen I may feel sympathy but if one of us gets ill as a result of him…

zaskar
    Free Member

Dancake
    Free Member

you need one of these

A story.

We once had an odd smell in the kitchen and it was getting worse. My wife blamed it on her spilling a pint of milk over the oven; some of which must have got into it through the knobs.

Anywhoo, the smell got really bad, so I took the side off the oven to clean it, only to find a RAT stuffed into the cables and gubbins under the electric hob (must have electricuted itself) Said rat had been cooked over and over again for what must have been weeks.

After disposing of the oven, we ripped out the kitchen units and found a nest and a trail of dog biscuits. This rat had been LIVING in my KITCHEN!!

It is almost certain that my crap (but much loved ) cat had brought the rat in through the cat flap and then let it go; he does this with birds too.

This was a few years ago now and he cant really be arsed these days.

Thankfully

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Dancake – one of my students told me her cat is taking bits of it's food and feeding a rat under their shed. They have yet to catch it…

Pest control coming tonight and I have four traps, some garlic based mouse repellent (worth a try and cheap) and some expanding foam to spray up any mouse holes we find.

IA

Wire wool good for blocking up the holes – they can't gnaw through it.

GrahamS

Rentokill guy recommended usng concrete with crushed glass in it to stop them gnawing.

squattingmouse
    Free Member

The vermin control man has looked around and said there are just so many gaps in the pipe spaces in this block of flats blocking them up would be impossible. He's put down some poison that takes a while to have an effect but apparently dries the mouse out, mummifying him. Hence no smell, or an undead super mouse…

IA – thanks for the suggestion – may put some in my foam which is mostly to block up holes and try and find out how he gets in.

GrahamS

Apparently if you can get one finger through a hole then it is big enough for a mouse. Two fingers and a rat can get in.

timber

mouse traps here loaded with a raisin, they can't get them off the tines, our champion raisin has 16 kills and we've not had one for months now, just a few indoors from when the house was vacant I think

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Think I've worked out he/they are getting in behind the washing machine. Bunged up all the hole with foam and gaffer tape so will see if any of it has been nibbled in the morning. Hasn't chewed anything we've noticed although the sudden death of the last washing machine due to an electrical fault makes sense now…

bruneep

Apparently if you can get one finger through a hole then it is big enough for a mouse. Two fingers and a rat can get in.

Hmmm will check the wife out later.

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Mwuhahahahaha! He's taken the bait the pest control guy put in the bottom of one of the cupboards! Due to the ineptness of whoever built our kitchen you couldn't seal this cupboard now as all the pipes come into it and they've just left the back and side off it which now lead directly into the pipe space for the building.

I've also filled every other gap leading into this space with expanding foam so if he does get back in we'll know where…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘There's a mouse loose in da house’ is closed to new replies.