Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • There. Their. They're.
  • Three_Fish
    Free Member

There: refers to a place or to the existence of something. ‘Over there’; ‘There are cows in the field’.
    Their: possessive. ‘Their belongings’.
    They’re: contraction of they are. ‘They’re very small’.

Their cows are over there. They’re not small, they’re just far away.

Drac

[We’re did you here that knot sure that’s what eye was tort at the school were I went too, we were told something very different.

yunki
    Free Member

Except in Dr Suess’s The Sneetches – where the Star belly Sneetches had stars upon thars

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RustySpanner

You forgot one:

Jamie
    Free Member

Your fighting a loosing battle, OP.

geoffj

You should of said something earlier.

grum
    Free Member

I once brought a book about stuff like this.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

You forgot one

I pacifically left it out.

RustySpanner

grum – Member

I once brought a book about stuff like this.

Me to.

GrahamS
    RaveyDavey
    Free Member

We have weighted two long for this too happen.

tomhoward

We really need to put the breaks on this kind ov thing

wordnumb
    Free Member

It’s not really all that difficult to understand what someone means when they make these common errors, to be fare.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Awe, they’re there OP

chip
    Free Member

When do I use ‘s as opposed to s.
    Thanks,

(Goes off to find a pen and paper to write this down)

Mister-P
    Free Member

Right it down Chip.

chip
    Free Member

wright you are MR P.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

* you’re

chip
    Free Member

* you’re

Now I am confused, and I can’t find my thinking head anywhere, damn you handsome head.

konabunny
    Free Member

Oh dear! OP was being a smartarse pendant but now he’s hung from his own petard!!!

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve given up pointing this out to people, I just judge anyone who gets it wrong. **** idiots. Amazing how many people in reasonable jobs can’t get this right. Instant fail for me if you did that in an application/interview.

And breathe…

Gary_C

What really pisses me off is those that write of instead of have.

Drac

I’ve given up pointing this out to people, I just judge anyone who gets it wrong. **** idiots. Amazing how many people in reasonable jobs can’t get this right. Instant fail for me if you did that in an application/interview.

I do it because of my dyslexia, luckily it’s not held me back at work and now employers are very supportive with people who have dyslexia rather than being judgemental.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I just judge anyone who gets it wrong. **** idiots.

I just judge anyone who thinks it’s that important when they understood perfectly well what the person meant. **** idiots.

njee20
    Free Member

Meh, didn’t say it was a good thing, just that I do it. Slippery slope if you adopt the ‘you know what I meant’ though. Get it right then if you know it’s wrong…

That said “Should of” is worse, as is “we was…”, and excessive glottal stopping. And saying somethink/anythink.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Eats shoots and leaves.

njee20
    Free Member

Let’s eat grandma!

Drac

Get it right then if you know it’s wrong…

It’s not that easy. I know which way is the correct way but sometimes I can’t read my mistakes as to me the word is the right one. I might spot it 5 mins later an hour later or just not at all. That’s why sometime my posts make no sense what so ever on here, the word may be because it sounds like the one I wanted, I miss words out, spell them wrong amongst other things. It made it difficult for me to grasp english grammar, I put in the lower classes at school because they didn’t know what to do there was very little support. I’ve had over 30 years of people saying things like ‘**** idiot’ so rise above that now. Yet because I’ve learnt to cope with it I’ve excelled at work, I’ve gained a BHsC a Diploma and passed many exams. I struggled a couple years ago in an exam because the words I wanted to use I couldn’t recall in the OSCE, I had to come clean with the Uni for me re-sit. I was embarrassed to tell them, despite being normally very open about it. During the re-sit I started to get mixed up again so they allowed me to describe in my own words.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Only one absolute necessity in my two daughters’ education.

That they know how to use there, they’re, and their correctly, and that they ALWAYS get it right.

At 15 and 12 they passed with flying colours a few years back.

My job is done.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Slippery slope if you adopt the ‘you know what I meant’ though. Get it right then.

Saying ‘you know what I meant’ doesn’t mean that they know how to get it right.

I’ve just received a couple of texts from a very dear friend of mine. Her texts always make me smile because they are full of the most imaginative spellings I have ever seen. She is an intelligent woman but very poorly educated, coming as she does from a poor rural Irish family.

She knows full well that her spelling is always hopelessly incorrect. But she also knows that as long as I understand what she means there is never a problem.

Sometimes it takes me a little while to figure out what she means as her texts can never be read at a glance, but I always get their in the end.

Bizarrely she has a passion for Shakespeare, art galleries, and the preforming arts. I always end up feeling a bit of a philistine in her presence as she stands admiring works of art that go right over my head.

EDIT : Just noticed this : but I always get their in the end. No it wasn’t deliberate. 🙂

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

butcher

There, Their and They’re are something I get mixed up a lot. I know the difference. I am often particular about presentation. I will notice it instantly if someone else does it, and I will notice it the second I read my own mistake back to myself.

When I’m actually writing though, sometimes it’s as if my sub-conscious mind just does not care. Or it’s like when you mean to use a word, and you write a completely unrelated but similar sounding word – something else I do often. Because my brain has moved onto the next words, the previous words are no longer in thought, they’re merely a sound.

That’s my cognitive processes anyway, I don’t know about anyone else.

If I didn’t normally check what I’d written, you’d see my there, their and they’res mixed up a lot!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

njee20
    Free Member

Drac, my ‘get it right’ was more in response to ernie’s ‘who cares if you know what they meant’. Clearly there are shades of grey, but if I knew it was an issue I’d get someone to check an application for a job before I sent it. Knowing that to some, rightly or wrongly, it matters. Equally I’d wear a suit to an interview. Shorts and t-shirt would protect my modesty, but people will make snap judgements. It’s no different.

A lot of time it’s either laziness or not caring. I’ve pulled plenty of folk up on it. **** that I am.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

The bare bear bared his teeth..

Then put his trousers back on

john_drummer
    Free Member

Star belly Sneetch

I wondered where that came from.

“You’re a star-belly sneech
    You suck like a leach
    You want everyone to act like you
    Kiss ass while you bitch
    So you can get rich
    But your boss gets richer off you

Well you’ll work harder
    With a gun in your back
    For a bowl of rice a day
    Slave for soldiers
    Till you starve
    Then your head is skewered on a stake

Now you can go where people are one
    Now you can go where they get things done
    What you need, my son:.

Is a holiday in Cambodia
    Where people dress in black
    A holiday in Cambodia
    Where you’ll kiss ass or crack ”

butcher

Drac, my ‘get it right’ was more in response to ernie’s ‘who cares if you know what they meant’. Clearly there are shades of grey, but if I knew it was an issue I’d get someone to check an application for a job before I sent it. Knowing that to some, rightly or wrongly, it matters. Equally I’d wear a suit to an interview. Shorts and t-shirt would protect my modesty, but people will make snap judgements. It’s no different.

A lot of time it’s either laziness or not caring. I’ve pulled plenty of folk up on it. **** that I am.

Whilst I see the other side to this one. To me, suits at an interview tell you nothing about the person being interviewed, and if someone is shit as spelling or grammar, well, it’s not the end of the world. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

However, some people definitely do not care. At work I generally speak to people in high positions. Decision makers. Manager directors, senior management, stuff like that. A small minority are impeccable with their words – they tend to be engineers. Most are fairly haphazard at best. And some have taken me years to understand – like learning a new language. I sit reading emails, gob-smacked, wondering how these people became successful… The obvious answer is that they don’t waste their days worrying about the finer points of anyone’s grammar. But so much time gets wasted because I can’t understand a word of what people are telling me…that surely can’t be an efficient way to run a business? In that respect, I consider it quite important.

wilburt
    Free Member

Another dyslexic here, I also left school at 15 and didn’t do much when I did attend.
    I’ve done ok with work though and quite frequently write complex and/or technical documents but have to proof read my own stuff several times still occasionally get it wrong but to an acceptable level.

I’m not going to put that much effort into posts on here.

konabunny
    Free Member

trailofdestruction – isn’t that an example of the use of punctuation rather than grammar?

deejayen
    Free Member

I was reminded of this thread when I popped into a shop on my way home tonight, and saw a basket containing a few apples and oranges with a handwritten sign saying, “20p each! When there gone their gone!”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘There. Their. They're.’ is closed to new replies.