Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • There must be another way? (or Gary gets it)
  • spock
    Free Member

I’ve got a Gary Fisher Hifi pro 2008 frame, its eating eyelet bushings on one of the shock mounts, about one a month, so i’m reckoning the mounting hardware is a little worn(the bushing runs directly on the bolt in the photo). There are also a couple of (ceramic?) spacer/bushing things that i doubt are helping as they’ll be 2 yrs old now.

Anyway, I’ve bee quoted £95 for a replacement set of the bits in the photo below, which i cannot afford, so either another way needs to be found or ill be looking for an on-one 456 very soon.

Anyone have any ideas?

The mounting :

Taken apart:

Thanks a lot

hambl90
    Free Member

Get a few more quotes, that seems a bit expensive to me.
    Try a google search on them.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Is the frame out of alignment? I don’t believe it should be eating bushes that quickly.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Is the frame out of alignment? I don’t believe it should be eating bushes that quickly

I’d go for that as the cause, back to the LBS

rOcKeTdOg

don’t trek offer lifetime warranty on bearings?

spock
    Free Member

I think it’s the bolt that the bushing runs on is worn, when i got the frame about 6 months ago it had play in it so i replaced the bushing, maybe it was used for a while with play? wearing the bolt? It’s acting as a top hat spacer which you’d usually replace every once in a while. I don’t think the frame is out of alignment, not had any big crashes on it.

spock
    Free Member

I asked trek about the part, part no 292904. They didn’t let me order it from them as im only a consumer…

Taking it back to the lbs isn’t really an option as i bought the frame second hand.

rOcKeTdOg

when i got the frame about 6 months ago it had play in it so i replaced the bushing,

ah, 2nd hand so no warranty, sorry!

spock
    Free Member

is there an easy way to check frame alignment? seems like a hardtail is becoming more and more likely…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘There must be another way? (or Gary gets it)’ is closed to new replies.