Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • There has been a big bang in Swindon
  • DavidB
    Free Member

Has the badger been doing his tubeless thing down our way?

yossarian
    Free Member

It’s likely that the communal gastric band has snapped.

Expect a chip shortage.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17697328

Coyote
    Free Member

Not one of Binners anal announcements?

CountZero

It was mentioned at the end of the BBC local news. I’m fifteen miles away, so can’t say I noticed. Lyneham’s closed, so can’t be from there.
    Maybe someone’s finally got tired of the crappy town centre and gone for some instant urban renewal, structure-hitting all the big buildings simultaneously. 😈

Jamie
    Free Member

#bigbang already trending on twitter.

CountZero

Just looking on Twitter, and it appears that it was heard from Malmesbury up as far as Coventry and Leamington Spa, shook doors and windows in Coventry. May have heard something in Chippenham, but indoors and had the telly on, so could easily have mistaken it for an empty trailer behind an artic banging on a pothole at the top of the road, often happens.

allthepies
    Free Member

Sonic boom from a Typhoon fighter apparently.

cinnamon_girl

I heard it here, thought it was either something fallen down in the house or more soldier games on Salisbury Plain. Or thunder. 😕

JEngledow
    Free Member

I heard it here in Witney nr Oxford but though our neighbour had just slammed a door!

molgrips
    Free Member

A sonic boom would explain why it would be heard in a long stripe across the country.

However they tend to sound like several bangs close together, don’t they?

CountZero

MOD has apparently confirmed it was a Typhoon going supersonic, naughty boy. 😀

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Does a sonic boom occur once when you pass through the sound barrier? So the plane was speeding up and slowing down through the sound barrier constantly?

CountZero

Page last updated at 19:38 GMT+01:00, Thursday, 12 April 2012
    Loud bang was Typhoon sonic boom
    A loud bang which sparked a deluge of calls to emergency services across a large part of England was a sonic boom from a Typhoon aircraft, the MoD said.

Mystified residents across the West Midlands, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire, Somerset and Wiltshire reported hearing a loud boom at about 18:10 BST.

The MoD revealed it was from a Typhoon responding to an emergency call.

A Coventry resident said: “I thought somebody had thrown a brick through the window.”

The Ministry of Defence initially said it was investigating what was behind a loud noise in Oxfordshire but a spokesman later confirmed it was from one of two RAF Typhoons that had been launched following an emergency call from a helicopter.

The helicopter had transmitted on the wrong frequency, he said.

Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service had also said it was looking into what caused the noise, after a flood of calls.

Some of those who heard it said the sound lasted a few seconds.

The British Geological Survey had also said it was investigating the incident.

There were reports of the noise being heard in Bath, Swindon, Coventry, Rugby and Oxford.

BBC © 2012

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Yup, Typhoon, but not a naughty boy.

s
    Free Member

& there was me thinking it was binner venting 😉

CountZero

dirtbiker100 – Member
    Does a sonic boom occur once when you pass through the sound barrier? So the plane was speeding up and slowing down through the sound barrier constantly?

No. It’s air compressed by the plane exceeding Mach 1, the noise follows the aircraft along its flight path so long as it’s transonic, just think of it as a cone of noise expanding behind and travelling with the plane, so it will be heard as a series of bangs by successive people as it passes over, and the noise ‘cone’ expands outwards.

CountZero

I’m sure the helicopter pilot who made the original transmission will be spoken to, and I’ll bet anything you like the Typhoon pilot relished every second he was flying transonic right across mainland Britain. Not often that happens with official sanction.

Drac

Was one up here a few months back, it was pretty impressive shuck the whole building at work and set car alarms off and we were good distance from the source.

Jamie
    Free Member

shuck

*chortles*

Sandwich

So not the republican development agency then!

Oggles
    Free Member

Are the woods behind Nationwide safe?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

To quote one of my ex RAF colleagues, “that chopper pilot will be having a strong listening too on the spikey chair”

marvincooper

Just when start to think I might be spending too much time reading this forum, I spot this thread and it explains what the hell that loud bang was earlier. My faith is restored.

DavidB
    Free Member

The woods behind Nationwide are certainly safe, there are a few doggers unaccounted for though.

Kryton57

There goes my hope that the stupid roundabout had finally gone…..

jonahtonto
    Free Member

fracking init

molgrips
    Free Member

Typhoon, yeah right. It was UFOs, this is obviously an official cover up.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

incidentally, i dont have a problem with fracking, its only a problem in countries where fresh water is scarce 😉

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘There has been a big bang in Swindon’ is closed to new replies.