Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Them p7 torches or tesco torches links to info on them or info from yourself…?
  • willy
    Free Member

There were looooads of threads about making these torches into bike lights on the old site but obviously they are now all gone.

i was really wanting to make myself a set of these (well get me dad to hes a bit of a whizz with electronics), they sounded well good and alot cheaper than buying proper ones. So if anyone can help me out i would be gratefull…im wanting to know…

first of all how to do it, that would be turn your p7/tesco torch from a torch to a bike light.

What sort of battery you would use to get a decent 2/3/4 hours out of it and where the cheapest/best place is to get one and a link to the site if possible would be great. if anyone has a decent battery that would work fine and is willing to sell would be even better!

wich is the better of the two ( more worth the money ) tesco or two tescos or a p7 or even two p7s.

where the best place is to get a p7 from is (cheapest) links to sites again would be great.

If anyone has any photos of them workin or is willing to go to te lengths of taking any for me would be excellent. Failing that if anyone could compare them to a known bike light that they reckon they are similar to in light quality/power etc…

and any other general info really.

cheers guys!!

takisawa2

Not sure about making P7 torches into dedicated bike lights I’m afraid. I sold my £200 Hope HID because the P7 torches offer more light for less outlay. They will last a little over an hour on a single cell & swapping cells takes a few seconds so why bother…?
    I run with a P7 on the bars & one on my helmet. They offer about 1300 lumen for an outlay of about £70. Reality is an insane amount of light for the money, & mine are on the lower settings for most of my rides.

Shopping list below…

1 of these
    2 of these
    1 of these
    1 of these (Bar mount)
    1 of these (Helmet mount – if compatible but doesnt work too well with a Giro Xen)

Pic of my bar mounted P7 with an extra large ‘O’ ring I use to make it a bit more secure.
    Pic of the beam from mine. I tried to get an accurate picture but I’m no pro photographer so make your own mind up.

Hope it helps.
    PT

pk-ripper
    Free Member

Here you go Willy, here’s a review I did on them a while ago, with light shots and everything…

http://road.cc/content/forum/905-cheap-chips-lights-test-shots

My understanding is that the Tesco one is on a par with the ultrafire 606A, but to be honest, the reliability horror stories I’ve heard of the tesco one, coupled with the impeccable performance of the 606 thus far means I’m glad I have the 606s – they’re the best helmet torch I’ve used due to the relatively focussed beam.

Will be selling a spare MTE p7 if you’re interested – brand new in the box. Should have a couple of new batteries for it too. I’d say they probably put out around 500 lumen, in a relatively flooded beam, so there’s no real bright spot. I now have one of the On-one sold P7 specific lights, and that’s slightly brighter with a better beam, but for 25% of the price, the MTE is very good.

willy
    Free Member

pk – ripper and takisawa thats exactly what i was after thanks alot!!! perfect.

now according to you guys it seems like the p7s the way to go soo in that case pkripper how much you wanting for the torch? cos ill have it, also if you have any other bits like spare battery/mounts/charger etc for it then ill take those too. if you get back to me via my email gibbymc@hotmail.com we’ll take it from there.. i couldnt find your email in profile?

cheers guys.

mattsccm
    Free Member

If anybody wants another take on this theme try searching for
    mine-explorer.co.uk
    Lots of playing there.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Not sure about making P7 torches into dedicated bike lights I’m afraid. I sold my £200 Hope HID because the P7 torches offer more light for less outlay. They will last a little over an hour on a single cell & swapping cells takes a few seconds so why bother…?
    I run with a P7 on the bars & one on my helmet. They offer about 1300 lumen for an outlay of about £70. Reality is an insane amount of light for the money, & mine are on the lower settings for most of my rides.

Shopping list below…

1 of these
    2 of these
    1 of these
    1 of these (Bar mount)
    1 of these (Helmet mount – if compatible but doesnt work too well with a Giro Xen)

Pic of my bar mounted P7 with an extra large ‘O’ ring I use to make it a bit more secure.
    Pic of the beam from mine. I tried to get an accurate picture but I’m no pro photographer so make your own mind up.

Hope it helps.
    PT

Can regular rechargeable batteries and charger be used with it? I have loads of them for my cameras and gadgets so it’d be good.

Richyb
    Free Member

You need to use the 18650 lithium ion cells as far as i’m aware, they’re not expensive, I basically ordered the same as listed above just before christmas and it was all waiting for me at work last friday. The p7 torch is incredibly good compared to a Hope HID, and for a fraction of the price, just get one ordered.

DezB
    Free Member

Well, it all goes to show how pointless beam shots are!
    These are supposed to be the same torch? 🙂

[img]http://www.sublimedelusion.com/singapore-0.9.11/galleries/Light%20and%20Colour/Light%20Test%20-%20MTE%20900%20-%20High.JPG[/img]

Sounds like my WF-606A will be ok for walking the dog anyway.

takisawa2

Just to add a word on my beam shot…
    I’m no pro-photographer. I simply fiddled with my EOS350d until it took a pic that seemed to capture how the P7 lit up the path. There’s a pic from a Hope HID taken at the same time in THIS lot. If you’ve got the cash go for dedicated set of bike lights. Because while these torches work well enough, at the end of the day they are just torches…!!!

pk-ripper
    Free Member

ah, my beam shots are all standardised according to the camera settings suggested by Dave on ride.cc

That way any beam shots and distances are comparable. That said, mine do, in my opinion come out pretty dark, and the actual light output (whilst nowhere near as bright as Takasawas one) is perfectly good for off-roading on a single beam.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Them p7 torches or tesco torches links to info on them or info from yourself…?’ is closed to new replies.