Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • the wire – best tv ever??
  • fantom
    Free Member

just finished watching last episode…what a absolutely stunning series, no point watching any tv anymore…UK TV is dumb…

alwyn
    Free Member

YES! I love this show, it is so good. I just bought it on DVD after reading a review and I was amazed at how good it is. Really recommend to anyone.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I hardly ever watch TV (because most of it is shite), but I got well and truly sucked in to The Wire at New Year.

Just finished Season 3 (no spoilers please!)

Absolutely superb programme, brilliant characters and some of the storylines are Shakespearean in their scope (Frank Sobotka, the Avon/Stringer Bell dynamic…). Lots of comedy too – Bunk and McNulty have me pishing myself.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    Jamie
    Free Member

#
    CaptainFlashheart:

No.
    This, however……

Reassuringly predictable.

cove123

Top show, still do not understand why BBC ITV 4/5 have not brought it for us with out SKy/FX

andym
    Free Member

If you like The Wire then look out for Generation Kill by the same writers – on the FX Cannel at the moment.

The Morecambe and Wise clip is worth five minutes of anyone’s time.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Andy, once more you agree with me….

See? I’m always right. 😉

Jamie, what’s wrong with predictable when it’s something that good?

varzi
    Free Member

amazing. finished it last week. best tv ever, bar none. utterly enthralling.

andym
    Free Member

Andy, once more you agree with me….

I think you’re mellowing.

macmclaren
    Free Member

i’m halfway through season 1. Please tell me that it gets better. So far its not even a touch on the shield. Pretty boring i think. Very disappointed

Lanesra
    Free Member

Best series ever, Series 2 and 4 are the best imo.

If anyone wants to send me a hard drive/memory card, I can transfer over all 5 series

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Stick with it macmclaren…

The first few episodes are really just scene-setting, character development etc.

IHN

Better than The West Wing? If so, I would be impressed.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Wire is very nearly the best TV ever.

Twin Peaks is better though.

pumpanani
    Free Member

Simply yes. Omar was amazing and i was shocked to find out Stringer Bell was actually english.

MTT
    Free Member

Couldn’t get past the first episode…

I thought it was dire.

pumpanani
    Free Member

seriously stick with it i watch very little TV because most of it is pants but this was really good from start to finish. I’m just about to start watching the shield if its half as good as the wire I’ll be happy.

grumm
    Free Member

Fantastic – I quite enjoyed it not being on tv as it meant I watched it all in a concentrated period, sometimes 3 episode a night, so really got into.

I’m amazed anyone could think it was rubbish.

kimbers

yeah it probably is

never thought id find anything to beat the sopranos
    that 5 mins of morcambe and wise is superb but 5 seasons of the wire is that much better!!

i love the shield but not as clever as the wire,
    its the most realistic cop drama ive ever (apart from maybe hampsterdam) especially having seen louis theroux recent 2 parter on law and order his exchanges with the corner boys in philladelphia were could hace been directly lifted from the wire
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD36JmK4q4I&feature=PlayList&p=845133C777D24825&index=0

for me the saddest thing is that the closest british tv drama can come to anything this good is the laughably silly spooks!

yet america has sopranos, oz, the wire, carnivale, rome, dexter, shield, battlestar galactica, west wing, generation kill, john adams, mad men, firefly (while it lasted), deadwood…….

right now tv is way better than anything thats commin out on the big screen

chakaping
    Free Member

right now tv is way better than anything thats commin out on the big screen

True dat.

anagallis_arvensis

It is excellent TV but I thought Carnivale and Deadwood were better but have less of a social commentary

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Reassuringly predictable.

What’s that? CFH or M&W…Oh yeah, both…

[Edit]Mind you, so was my post…[/Edit]

jobbyheid
    Free Member

the wire – best tv ever??

kimbers

all this reminds me i need to re-up on my package

billybob
    Free Member

Is it as good as Demons?

Eggbox
    Free Member

I loved the Wire from start to finish…but Nulty’s accent irritated me just a little bit. I watched it all on DVD or online.

UK TV drama is an embarrassing waste of space in comparison IMO

mksimith2
    Free Member

Truly spectacular. The Wire Seasons 1-5 was a show that refused to be what anyone expected. Just when you though it couldn’t get better the next episode would air and you would remember all over again why you loved it. The grand scale of such intimate moments allowed us to care about characters because they became people. There have been great shows before this and there will be great shows after this but The Wire stands, with it’s protagonists, with its feet firmly on the ground staring its fans and its detractors right in the eyes. This was a call to arms for those out there who knew that TV didn’t have to be Two and A Half Men.

warton
    Free Member

just amazing in my opinion, dickens like in its characters and plots. I’ve just finished season 1, waiting for season 2 to arrive from lovefilm

I also thought nothing would beat the sopranos, this does hands down…

uplink
    Free Member

BBC are showing it starting Monday – 1 episode each night

sophia7777
    Free Member

A "wire" is police shorthand for a wiretap – a way to observe and record people without their knowledge. Soon you realize this is also a metaphor for the show itself – you as the viewer are getting a chance to be a hidden observer into the workings of a modern American city at all its levels, from the streets to the corridors of power. It's really like a televised novel – a realistic, complex exploration of the characters and the world they inhabit. As episodes build the hidden web of interdependence between the people and institutions from the lowest to the highest levels in the city of Baltimore is vividly brought to life. And as in life, the quick conclusion you make after seeing the surface of a person or institution is often revealed to be a completely different truth when you start peeling back the layers.

theflatboy
    Free Member

generation kill was fantastic as well, i can't wait to see their show about new orleans.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘the wire – best tv ever??’ is closed to new replies.