Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • The weirdness returns!
  • CountZero

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=42375
    This time on cable, so expect the Owls to really be not what they seem!
    Damn fine pie, though!

Pigface
    Free Member

This will be interesting

kimbers

Really looking forward to it,

The end was dark, who knows where they will take it.

DezB
    Free Member

Hopefully, it’ll be interesting.
    Started watching the re-runs on Sy-Fy, but couldn’t remain interested, it was just too darn slow. Audrey lived up to expectations though.

hels
    Free Member

Amazing TV. Slow ? This was all made before the internet and box sets, you looked forward to every episode and savoured it, there was just nothing else like it on TV. Scared the crap out of me at the time, although I agree the ending was just nuts.

Rewatched it recently and it has aged exceptionally well, the only clunky moment was one scene when somebody pulled out the worlds biggest cell phone.

This will be awesome. Or as disappointing as Prometheus.

scotroutes

Cup of Joe anyone?

hels
    Free Member

Oh well, maybe people will get me now in meetings when I start randomly addressing comments to Diane. And carrying a small log around with me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I was 17 when we discovered this, and tbh the only time we ever watched it was on the magic fungi. Mental memories.

DezB
    Free Member

Amazing TV. Slow ? This was all made before the internet and box sets, you looked forward to every episode and savoured it, there was just nothing else like it on TV. Scared the crap out of me at the time, although I agree the ending was just nuts.

I agree, back then it was extraordinary. It was also on weekly rather than every night like the re-runs. Just couldn’t keep up, I like the old-skool weekly broadcast style. These days I have too many other things to watch!

CountZero

I’m with Dez here; I watched the original series religiously, dissected it down the pub, quoted chunks of dialogue, etc.
    Started to watch the re-runs with a fair degree of excitement, and I just couldn’t engage with it at all.
    The dialogue and characters all seemed rather stiff and clunky now, sadly.
    I guess I’ve been spoiled by more recent series like True Detective, and Dead Like Me, Buffy, Pushing Daisies, etc, which have much better scripts, it seems, and rather better acting.
    That’s my feeling, anyway.
    I’m still looking forward to this new version, it’ll be interesting to see how the freedom allowed by the cable networks opens it up to darker storylines.

kimbers

Nah I got the boxed set couple of years ago

And it took a few episodes before I was able to fully appreciate it after more modern stuff

But I was loving it by the end

Helped that opposite my house this appeared on the phone box

maccruiskeen

This was all made before the internet and box sets, you looked forward to every episode and savoured it

I remember after it had first aired a friend of mine who was studying film had diligently recorded all of it, in order, back to back on VHS so we watched the whole thing through in one go on a rainy november saturday. My first experience of a box-set style splurge. It was such a strange way to re-see it. Watching it as it went out on TV it was a sort of enduring mystery that played out over years. The actually story time from Cooper’s arrival to the last episode is only actually about 2 weeks. So watching it in one go is closer to the story’s timescale. But of course it took years to film – you can see peoples hair growing.

chakaping
    Free Member

The only TV show I’ve re-watched multiple times, and there’s still never been anything quite like it.

Could have been a bit concerned at this quote from the YouTube teaser: “providing long-awaited answers and a satisfying conclusion”.

But I’m sure Lynch and Frost will succeed in doing justice to the original.

D0NK

please don’t ruin it, please don’t ruin it, please don’t ruin it, please don’t ruin it, please don’t ruin it, please don’t ruin it, please don’t ruin it, please don’t ruin it, please don’t ruin it, please don’t ruin it, please don’t ruin it…

Will have to rewatch soon, see if I can get mrs interested.

senorj

That bit with Bob at the end of the bed,scares me now just thinking about it.
    I Hope they don’t spoil it too.

noteeth
    Free Member

How time flies…

Whether the new episodes are good, bad or indifferent (Dave, just channel the darkness of Mulholland Drive!), it won’t change the fact that 1.) as a kid, Twin Peaks bewitched me like nothing else on TV & 2.) the intro sequence is still one of the greatest things ever made.

GrahamS

couldn’t remain interested, it was just too darn slow.

you can see peoples hair growing

So.. a little slow then? 😆

hels
    Free Member

Boo No Thanks to “long awaited answers and a satisfying conclusion”.

We want inconclusive and unsatisfying weirdness please, Diane.

noteeth
    Free Member

I missed the very last (& terrifying’how’s Annie?’) episode because I had to go to some youth group thing. I set the video to record it, and the crappy rural Somersetshire TV reception resulted in an extra layer of Lynchian static, thus making it even more confusing.

We want inconclusive and unsatisfying weirdness please

Amen to that.

Alphabet

I watched it when it fist aired and although I loved the music, style and weirdness I must admit to loosing track of the plot about half way through. I was still clueless after the final episode but perhaps that was part of the point. Hopefully there will be answers in the new series. Although I suspect not.

noteeth
    Free Member

I loved the music

The OST remains one of my favourite albums… the first series was shown as I was getting into mountain biking – and the title theme will forever be synonymous with riding in the woods, at dusk.

about half way through

It went rather/further off-the-rails at that point, tbh.

maccruiskeen

Boo No Thanks to “long awaited answers and a satisfying conclusion”.

The funny thing is – it was the pressure from the channel (ABC I think) for a conclusion that lead to the inconclusiveness of jt all. They insisted on revealing who-dun-it less than halfway through the second series to boost ratings. So for a dozen episodes after that there was nowhere for the plot to go, instead it was just license to go nuts.

hels
    Free Member

I love seeing the actor who played Leyland Palmer in various straight roles. Just can’t take him seriously after Bob.

chakaping
    Free Member

I love seeing the actor who played Leyland Palmer in various straight roles. Just can’t take him seriously after Bob.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

eltonerino
    Free Member

Fire walk with me was pretty rubbish. But I can’t wait for this series.

hels
    Free Member

I think Spoiler Alerts expire after 20 years chapaking.

And Darth Vader is Luke’s father, in case you hadn’t caught that.

norbert-colon

I shall look forward to this. Hope they don’t ruin it.

Not understanding the plot was part of it, if I remember correctly?

Where has that 25 years gone then? 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

My mum was a fan, I was too young at the time, but would quite like to watch it now!

chakaping
    Free Member

I think Spoiler Alerts expire after 20 years chapaking.

And Darth Vader is Luke’s father, in case you hadn’t caught that.

Next you’ll be blabbing who killed JR.

🙁

GregMay
    Free Member

I am really looking forward to this. Was young when it came out (10) but remember the scenens that were shot in the red room with the dwarf.

I watched it a few years later,16 ish, and didn’t get it. Then watched it a few times again in my 20’s, still didn’t get it – but could appreciate it a lot more.

This could be really good, or a terrible thing. I hope the former.

CountZero

I’m really hoping that they do go full out on the really, really weird! I’ll certainly be watching it when it comes out, that’s for sure.

nach
    Free Member

Was discussing this elsewhere, and someone pointed out the cast have enough about them that, even if it’s terrible, it’ll probably still be fun to watch. Most of them were good 25 years ago, and David Lynch is still good now.

Hurley was a boring sh*te though. I really hope he’s been written out, but is referred to in increasingly ridiculous and unbelievable ways by the remaining characters.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m really hoping that they do go full out on the really, really weird!

I always enjoyed it most as a soap opera tbh. But then I admit to not really enjoying Lynch’s weirder movies (so most of them).

Watching the pilot again this week, I think the reason the weirdness worked so well (and why none of the imitators came close) was that they did the odd/funny stuff completely deadpan.

“Who’s the lady with the log Harry?”

“We call her the log lady.”

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘The weirdness returns!’ is closed to new replies.