Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)
  • The upside to government cuts!
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They're turning the speed cameras off!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10755509

Thank god for that!

😀

(Now we find out for real how much BS it is about them saving lives)

PJM1974
    Free Member

I'd bet the quid pro quo means road charging…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

BD – I imagine that's a link to the Daily Mash. I'll not even bother clicking on it if it's all the same with you…?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'd hate you to be exposed to any satire Peter. 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bring on road chargeing, I barely drive (live next to the rail station (costs about the same as fuel if I'm traveling alone), car's arent allowed at work so either have to cycle, or get the bus or train, and the midget is a year too young for tax exemption, which peeves me off so it would remove my itch to sell it and buy an older one.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I'd prefer more speed cameras. When driving they are much preferable to the alternative traffic calming measures like speedbumps or choke points/chicanes (which rather than slow traffic just seem to cause extra danger for cyclists with cars trying squeeze pass without leaving anyroom)

wwaswas

that's a bit of an odd one.

the speed cameras they put up near Sussex University during road works with a reduced speed limit earned more money than the road works cost.

I'd imagine they'd generally be lookign to up revenue rather than just reduce costs so surely there shoudl be more speed cameras?

convert

It kind of blows up the myth often stated fact that speed cameras were merely there as a method of government fund raising as ranted by Clarkson et al. Surely in times of austerity you would increase not decrease your camera numbers if this were true.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'd hate you to be exposed to any satire Peter

I'd just hate to be totally underwhelmed by something that tries so hard to be amusing and fails so catastrophically. I've never found satire funny, sorry. Becasue it's not, mainly. 😛

STW is far funnier than the Daily Mash, IMO. 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What's the problem with speed cameras being installed as a means to create revenue anyway? Even if it were true. The fact that most people blatantly disregard the Law on speeding, means that one of the only ways to 'punish' them or create any sort of deterrent, is to have speed cameras. You speed, you get fined. You do it repeatedly, you get banned. Don't want to get fined? Then don't speed. Simples. Squeak.

Mind you, speed limits on some motorways are a bit silly. That could be looked at. 100mph wouldn't be inappropriate on some stretches, and modern cars have better brakes and that.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'd prefer more speed cameras. When driving they are much preferable to the alternative traffic calming measures like speedbumps or choke points/chicanes (which rather than slow traffic just seem to cause extra danger for cyclists with cars trying squeeze pass without leaving anyroom)

Personally, I'd prefer every speed camera to be replaced by 2 police officers in a fast car. Becasue they don't just slow people down, they catch the ones drink driving, with no insurance, on the phone, with bald tyres, carrying drugs, driving like twunts, in stolen cars, after doing an armed robbery……

But that's just me. I like the Plods.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Personally, I'd prefer every speed camera to be replaced by 2 police officers in a fast car

Have you done a proper cost feasibility study for this? That would cost a fortune. I'd prefer to see more police patrolling on foot or by bike, in high crime areas, rather than zooming about like they're auditioning for Police Camera Action. Too many fat sweaty coppers these days. No wonder youths are stabbing each other so much; if the Plod do turn up, they can just trot off at a leisurely pace, knowing the coppers will be out of breath and collapsing through exhaustion within a few yards. Obese Babylon.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Obese Babylon.

No-one else says this Fred. 🙂

mtbfix

Our council in Oxon. should have popped a few cameras on the road from Reading to Oxford. They could have easily made up the short fall in govt funding given the number of idiots whizzing up and down. Instead Mr. Cameron is splashing the cash flying out to India to ask them for more money please whilst telling them that they are not welcome here. Bunch of a**e, but not like it comes as a surprise.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What's the problem with speed cameras being installed as a means to create revenue anyway? Even if it were true. The fact that most people blatantly disregard the Law on speeding, means that one of the only ways to 'punish' them or create any sort of deterrent, is to have speed cameras. You speed, you get fined. You do it repeatedly, you get banned. Don't want to get fined? Then don't speed. Simples. Squeak.

Becasue it don't work quite like that, simples.

Laying all my cards on the table here, I've never been done by a static speed camera (One by one hidden in a plain van before they stopped doing that 11 years ago, I'll admit. I was driving a van, I didn't know it's 60mph for a van on a dual carrigeway, not 70mph….) becasue they are soooooo easy to see. And also becasue in the places they tend to put them, I'm not going to speed anyway. I'm mostly fairly steady and careful.

But, I ride a motorbike, so cameras and a lack of police benefit me a lot. I know where the cameras are, so I'll happily hit 130-140mph (Which I'd imagine is faster than the majority of people ever get even close to) on empty roads away from prying eyes, knowing I won't be caught. And I have a nice clean license. 🙂

I know a people who you would say are 'safer' than me with points on their licences from static cameras becasue they just weren't paying attention.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

BigDummy – Member
    Government plans to scrap speed cameras were last night welcomed by middle-aged men who believe themselves to be excellent drivers.

You won't find this funny of course. But it is

Cheers, one of the funniest things Ive read for a while

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Have you done a proper cost feasibility study for this? That would cost a fortune. I'd prefer to see more police patrolling on foot or by bike, in high crime areas, rather than zooming about like they're auditioning for Police Camera Action.

Oh yeah, fairy nuff, so would I. Point taken but I just said that as an example. 🙂

wwaswas

so PP either we install gps on all vehicles that link speed to location and generate a ticket automatically or we use the same gps linked to a speed limiter based on prevailing speed limit?

richmtb

I have nothing against speed cameras if they are put in sensible locations, outside schools, before junctions on A-roads etc. But the placement of some of them is just cynical, the bottom of a hill on a motorway where it changes from 70 to 50 for example.

Also the so called demonstrated safety improvements almost always rely on a very well known statistical phenomenom called "regression to mean"

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

mtbfix – The A4074 is an absolute joy for giving it death on!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

I'd like it if there was a speed camera every 100 yards.

You do not have the right to speed. You just don't. MTFU and deal with it 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

either we install gps on all vehicles that link speed to location and generate a ticket automatically or we use the same gps linked to a speed limiter based on prevailing speed limit?

Not ever gonna happen. Won't work. Sorry.

wwaswas

Won't work.

well, it would work but people wouldn't accept it…

kimbers

i think the daily mash has it spot on with this one

and as for the cuts i liked this quote from the bbcs report on the bank of england and interest rates

"The idea of a Greek-style crisis in the UK was always very unlikely. The 'emergency' budget was more about political theatre than economic necessity."

Junkyard
    Free Member

whatever PP and his 140 mph safe driving says speed is a factor in a third of all crashes and the faster you go the more likely you are to crash and also die.
    Hopefully one day speeding will be viewed in the same way as drink driving is…remember when everyone did this and no one could see why it was such a big deal?
    PP I am sure you and everyone else who speeds is safe attentive and has a clean driving licence and does not cause carshes and I await the stats you have at hand to support this …you dont have any as it is BS
    Stay within the speed limits please the roads are for all and the rules are there to keep us all safe. Speed kills it realy does

Surley elfinsafety should have posted this

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

well, it would work but people wouldn't accept it…

Go on then, you start, tell me how it works and I'll then carefully explain where you're mistaken, starting with "Who's going to pay for it?" 🙂

mtbfix

The A4074 is an absolute joy for giving it death on

From Reading to Wallingford is a smashing stretch of road but north of that the width eggs the idiots on into overtaking where they shouldn't.

jon1973
    Free Member

The upside to government cuts!

They're turning the speed cameras off!

(Now we find out for real how much BS it is about them saving lives)

If cameras were just a way of making money (rather than a saftey thing) then why are they switching them off to save money? If anything it shows they were about saving lives and not making money.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

whatever PP and his 140 mph safe driving

Please copy and paste below exactly where I said 140mph was safe, then prove to me it's not. 🙂

Speed kills it realy does

No, it really doesn't. You just believe the BS that's been forced down your throat for so long, that's all.

wwaswas

"Who's going to pay for it?"

maybe they should introduce some sort of road tax to fund it 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

maybe they should introduce some sort of road tax to fund it

"Road Tax" does not exist. The Disc in your car is not a tax on roads, nor does it pay for roads. It is "Vehicle Excise Duty" and is a tax on car ownership and goes straight to the goverment. 🙂

tron
    Free Member

As PP has said, for the committed speeder, cameras are no bother at all. Statics get slowed down for, and once a mobile camera's been spotted, you know the rest of the county is probably clear.

The people who I know who get nicked by cameras a fair bit are generally fairly uninterested drivers. Half of my mate's family have been repeatedly nicked by the same mobile camera, in the same place about half a mile from their house. My mum now does an emergency stop for every camera. How the hell do you do that unless you're not paying any attention?

By far the biggest behavior change I've seen is the reaction to the signs that display your speed. They make much more difference to traffic speed than a camera does.

I really can't understand the logic behind road pricing – if we want to charge people for travelling about, pump up the fuel duty. Miles travelled is pretty proportional to fuel use, with inbuilt penalties for speeding and going to town at peak time. Road charging needs a load more infrastructure, and opens a massive can of worms on the privacy front.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If cameras were just a way of making money (rather than a saftey thing) then why are they switching them off to save money?

Again, please copy and paste below where I said they were a way of making money…..

I did question weather they save lives however. Which can be argued either way…..

wwaswas

"Road Tax" does not exist.

which was precisely why I suggested they introduce it rather than raise it…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Tron, thanks for understanding my (possibly a bit vague?) point. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

which was precisely why I suggested they introduce it rather than raise it…

OK, fairy nuff. 🙂

In that case, let's say I still had my 1972 VW Camper. How are you going to design a speed limiter to fit in something with no EFi electronics, that works the same as the one you'll fit to my Ford Focus?

You'll need to retro-fit every car in the country, so you're gonna need a LOT of different units to do that. Which don't exist….. Then you've got to get someone to actually fit them….. And then some way of enforcing them……

Are you beginning to see the practicalities of this yet? 🙂

kimbers

of course speed kills modern cars can cushion the impact of a 30mph crash, much better than they can a 70mph crash
    increased spead means you need greater breaking distance and reduced reaction times

and these cameras arent being removed to save money or make the roads safer

its a policy decision to keep the clarksons/pps of this world happy

jon1973
    Free Member

Again, please copy and paste below where I said they were a way of making money…..

OK, Fair enough, but it is the standard argument put forward by people who are anti-camera.

I would be interested to know what you think the Governments motivation for cameras are then if it isn't for money or safety.

birky
    Free Member

Junkyard; speed is a factor in a third of all crashes

The 1/3 figure is a bit of a con because it includes crashes caused by driving too fast for the conditions but within the speed limit. In those situations the driver wouldn't have triggered a camera. The % of accidents caused by speeding is much lower.

'Swindon switched off all its fixed speed cameras a year ago, saying they weren't an effective tool in cutting road traffic accidents as only 6% were caused by people speeding'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10762590

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘The upside to government cuts!’ is closed to new replies.