Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • The unfit club
  • sor
    Free Member

Lurking through the threads of photos, rides and new bikes is making me wonder if I'm just torturing myself being on here rather than some other, non-bikey forum instead.

Because almost a month ago my doctor warned me off any and every form of physical activity due to having a blood count of less than half what it should be. Next week I go into hospital for the quacks to try to track down why this might be. Still no clues about how long it might be before I am back on a bike, or back running, or back at work, or back doing any of the things I used to do.

So let's have a roll-call of the sick and the injured and the broken, but who still consider themselves bikers even if they're bodies aren't up to the task!

(Or, alternatively, do you have any suggestions of forums for discussions on hospital wards and medication side-effects?)

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I'm still suffering from a badly sprained ankle that happened nearly 3 weeks ago. Even though i have the time to ride now i'm unemployed and the weather's fine i'm sat here feeling sorry for myself. 🙁

Nowhere nr as bad as a low blood count but still pee'ing me off…

racefaceec90

i don't ride my bike,anywhere near as much as i would like to,even though i'm unemployed(long term depression).and it annoys the hell out of me!!!good luck to you sor,and muddydwarf!!!

ton

21stone which is 4 or 4 too much
    no cartiladge in left knee, and not much in right knee
    blind in right eye
    fused right wrist
    almost solid right ankle from no physio after torn ligiment
    high blood pressure
    probably v high bmi
    and a very annoying boil on my left buttock at the moment…….
    eat some liver and MTFU…….. 😉

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Bloody hell Ton – should we take you out back & put you down? 😛

Perhaps we should organise the 'STW unfit & unemployed layabout club' then?

thejesmonddingo

I had a stroke three weeks ago,high cholesterol and high blood pressure,had a nice 5 mile ride this afternon.
    ian

cinnamon_girl

Does being "too bl**dy old" count?

Ailment is known as a mid-life crisis 🙄

thejesmonddingo

I'm 54,how old are you CG?
    Ian

cinnamon_girl

Bit younger 😉 Just have my work cut out trying to keep up with the "youngsters" 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

"Only" 42 here but i can feel what little fitness i had leeching away as i spend my time on my expanding arse!

chvck
    Free Member

Fractured Radius, as of Monday, here. Lucky for me though I'll be back out within 6 weeks (unless something bad happens!)

cinnamon_girl

Actually, I'm fortunate really as some of you have not nice difficulties to deal with. Get well 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Aye, i know it's only a month til my ankle is fine again but it's driving me bonkers, plus i want to get into MTB/outdoor leadership stuff & it's not helping me volunteer.

Still, i'm in a far better position than some on this thread so i'll stop whinging!

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Thing that worries me is if Ton dies on a ride what the hell would his partners do – bugger to bury him due to the size of the hole, but probably easier than trying to carry him off.

Couldn't leave him to rot cos he'd attract vultures from Africa.

GJP
    Free Member

Can I also join this club – I am almost embarrassed to go out on my race bikes at the moment now as I have lost so much fitness from being off the bike and off work for 3 months earlier in the year with severe Depression and to add insult to injury I have now put on a load of weight due to the meds.

It seems now that I am regularly overtaken by people on hybrids – last week I thought it was a fluke when some stunning girl overtook me on her hybrid but then I looked at her amazing athletic legs and thought OK fair do-s, ces't la vie etc but this morning it could well have been the postman.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Mr MC is at home with knee in air having broken his knee on day 1 of holiday in Morzine and ended up having surgery. So far 5 weeks at home and off work not being able to do anything. Another 4 weeks loom at least! It's amazing how long he can spend playing on the internet 😉
    He's feeling your pain as he bought a new Santa Cruz Nomad which got delievered the day we got back from Morzine .. think it may still be clean next summer!!!
    Get well soon all. x

john_drummer
    Free Member

can I join the club?

broke my leg 3 years ago & never really got my mojo back, and I've piled on the weight (even more of it) since – I reckon I need to lose at least 4 stone. The crap summers we've had have not helped.

But I've just returned from a fab non-biking holiday in the Canadian Rockies & I can hear the bike calling me

kennyfinest
    Free Member

im sitting in my chalet in morzine with a severely dislocated ankle (suspected ligament damage) after an off on wed, my first days riding of a week long hol was monday 🙁

zaskar
    Free Member

Blood count low?

Eating healthy? B12, Folate, Iron etc

john_drummer
    Free Member

I'm sitting in my chalet in morzine with a severely dislocated ankle

did you get that reduced before they let you sit around the chalet with it?

Cos that's what did for my leg, only in my case the Fib fractured as well, just to complicate things

DannyLeigh
    Free Member

I ruptured my spleen in June and I can't cycle until next year. 😯

It really is torture to look at everyones lovely ride pictures.

rj
    Free Member

Gammy leg, no balance to speak of (due to previously mentioned gamminess), bruised ribs, fat, bald, beligerant, curmudgeonly.

Apart from that I'm a biking machine.

john_drummer
    Free Member

anyway, to all those that are more broken than me, get well soon 🙂

sor
    Free Member

Well if nothing else it's just proved that old saying that there's plenty of folks worse off than myself. Best wishes to you all.

So here's to us getting the curable cured and living with what's left behind.

zaskar
    Free Member

Ditto hope all goes well for everyone rcovering from boils to strains…

I could join as I'm overweight.

Started at 98kg now 88kg from June. Target is 78kg-another 3 months of lettuce?

Also just pulled my quad badly and my neck is killing me-it'lll be winter before I get some riding in and I hate winter! lol oh well.

Tango-Man
    Free Member

December 2006, infection in my spinal column, crushed spinal cord followed by paralysis, then had it drained, septacaemia and a huge blood clot in my left leg to just round things off, Compression stockings for the next decade at least and was advised to stop all activities that could result in bruising to my left leg, so all the mountain bike gear went, DH bike and XC bike, learnt to walk again and get my balance back, still have balance issues when walking

I did stop everything, I'm now 4 stone overweight, the thought of carbon forks on my road bike terrifies me, hence I avoid it!

But, I did sneak off and find! Ahem (legally!) a mountain bike, I'll *not* be riding later

I still class myself as a biker

ken_shields
    Free Member

I was gonna complain about having a knacked knee from a motorcycle accident in 1985 but I don't think I'll bother as you lot seem much worse off than me…..got some cracking scars tho 😯

zarquon
    Free Member

Think I'll sign up. Back problems for two years meant very little biking and my weight ballooning up. Seemed to turn a corner a few months ago and then developed a weird knee injury that is causing problems. Thought all of that was sorted a few weeks ago, did one 4 hour ride in Sweden last week and was ecstatic that my body made it. Started commuting into work last week and all was ok, had pictures of losing loads of weight and long rides at the weekend, build up that Rohloff into a commute bike, the future was looking glorious. Then played badminton on Friday night and back comes the crappy knee. Bugger, bugger, bugger.

growing old is crap, I don't want to mix it with the speed merchants anymore I just want to be on my bike and do some XC!!!!

zaskar
    Free Member

Been there where you sell all your bikes to injury or sickness.

Stay positive and hope everyone is back on the bike again.

iainc

I was feeling sorry for myself with achy knees that are getting worse due lack of riding and swimming as I sit with a monster no walk bandage on my foot from a big toe fusion……then I found this thread – I'm gonna MTFU now 😆

edit – how does a wrist fusion go then – having had my toe done and 'immobilised' i can't see how that would work on a wrist ???

MrNutt
    Free Member

quite frankly I'm just permanently exhausted.

grumm
    Free Member

Not been on a bike for at least a couple of weeks now. Had some sort of really nasty virus that has left me really weak and feeling distinctly strange.

Been going slightly mad sat in bed for most of the time – looking at bike bits/trails obsessively. At least I've bought a new bike to cheer myself up 🙁 🙂

December 2006, infection in my spinal column, crushed spinal cord followed by paralysis, then had it drained, septacaemia and a huge blood clot in my left leg to just round things off, Compression stockings for the next decade at least and was advised to stop all activities that could result in bruising to my left leg, so all the mountain bike gear went, DH bike and XC bike, learnt to walk again and get my balance back, still have balance issues when walking

Seeing things like this kind of puts it into perspective though. Good luck!

samuri
    Free Member

I'm really fit, ride between 100 and 250 miles a week and none of my clothes fit any more becaue I've lost so much weight. HTH.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

samuri – that's inspiration that is 😉

Not been on the bike at all much the last 2 years, life just got too complicated in every way. Trying to find the energy and enthusiasm to start again now… probably 1.5 stone above my "best" weight from a few years back, so that isn't too bad (though my best weight was 17 stone 10… but I am built like a tank).

Think it is just energy, motivation and enthusiasm I am lacking rather than any injuries though. So I really just need to give myself a good kick up the arse! Need me some riding/drinking buddies… the last one pissed off to Australia!

NikNak7890
    Free Member

I'll add my 2 penneth.

Was (deliberately) run down last June, and my Consultant didn't agree with me that I had a non-union fracture until the end of October. Had a plate put in with 9 screws.
    Over the last 6 months had 4 of the screws start pulling out of the bone, so went in for more surgery on Saturday to remove the whole lot.

Now sitting recuperating, waiting for the all clear to get back on my bike and plan this winter's Snowboarding trip.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘The unfit club’ is closed to new replies.