Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The Tragically Hip – Did they make it here?
  • SaxonRider

As above, really. Did they make it over here at all, and if so, how were they perceived?

I ask, because Gord Downie seems to have been a bit of a Canadian hero, and he died today from a malignant brain tumour. May he rest in peace.

In any case, if you don’t know who/what I’m talking about, then my question is already answered.

jimdubleyou

You can see many of the tragically hip on the streets of Shoreditch and Hoxton, but I have a feeling that’s not what you’re on about 🙂

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I was in Canada last year and it coincided with Gords last gig in Kingston. Was a very big event and there seemed to be a huge amount of love for the band and grief for Gord Downie. I have to say the music did absolutely nothing for me but the Canadians loved it.

shermer75
    Free Member

You can see many of the tragically hip on the streets of Shoreditch and Hoxton, but I have a feeling that’s not what you’re on about 

I’m guessing you haven’t been there recently, it’s all drunken stag dos and obnoxious city boys now!

frogstomp

Here!? Are they akin to the Big Hitters?

Spin
    Free Member

Not really. I think they toured but they never took off. I remember almost everyone in Canada being nuts for them but couldn’t get into them myself.

Coyote
    Free Member

The only thing of their’s I’ve heard is “Lonely End of the Rink” from Seasons. Pretty good track. Might have to listen to some more.

alexpalacefan

Rings a bell for me.

APF

scuttler

I lived in Canada in 1994-1995. Popular (there as the Kingston gig testified), is an understatement.

“My memory is muddy. what’s this river that I’m in?
    New Orleans is sinking man, and I don’t wanna swim”

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaeEopDW0V4&feature=youtu.be&t=34[/video]

Not sure I ever heard them here though.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’ve got a CD of theirs from the 1990’s,Fully Completely.
    Can’t remember when I last played it though & I can’t remember them touring over here.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Never heard of them… but have Canadian friends who’ve filled me in. Did see the last concert live on telly over here

househusband

Knew he was terminally ill, sad to hear that he’s passed on.

I’ve got one of their albums, on cassette, ‘Road Apples’… bloody hell that’s from ’91 so explains why I have it on cassette!

ji
    Free Member

Sad news- never saw them live as they weren’t big in the UK. Heard Fully Completely in someone’s house and went straight out and bought it. Wheat Kings is probably one of my all time favourites

[video]https://youtu.be/9xIaBcfL6vU[/video]

Coyote
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1x605byL68[/video]

Yup, that’s the one.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I once had a girlfriend who had spent a year as an exchange student in Canada. So she introduced me to the Tragically Hip. As above, Fully Completely was the album.

I doubt I have listened to them in the intervening twenty odd years, but the lyric, “Cold wind blowing over your private parts” has stuck my head for some reason.

walleater

Anyone would think that everyone’s spouse and dog had just died judging by Canadian’s Facebook statuses over here. I just don’t get it (not being Canadian but living in Canada). It seems like the equivalent of a car enthusiast being passionate about Vauxhall Vectras. So more much more interesting music out there, but Canadians just seem to like to listen to quaint songs with the singer drawling on about their truck, horse etc….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘The Tragically Hip – Did they make it here?’ is closed to new replies.