Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 495 total)
  • The Tories – for those of us old enough to remember 1st hand
  • porterclough
    Free Member

It was not including house prices in inflation that meant interest rates were fixed too low in the pre-07 boom.

But the entire sham economy required us to keep borrowing the money the Chinese were investing in London that we'd given them for making all our stuff so that we could feel rich and keep borrowing to buy more Chinese made stuff so that they would invest in London so that we could [repeat until inevitable crash]

ianv
    Free Member

I remember chucking eggs at thatcher's car on one of her visits to that economic miracle that was Keighley, West Yorkshire 1983 ish.

I fail to understand how anyone other than an Essex barrow boy could give the tories the time of day.

porterclough
    Free Member

Some people are forgetting that although nearly everyone went round in the 1980s saying they hated the Tories, at election time people voted for them in droves.

The modern day equivalent I think is people paying lip service to green issues then jetting off to Prague or Barcelona every other weekend.

Dickyboy

Started a promising training career with the coal board in 1982, ditched it just before miners strike 😥 Alot of this countries wealth was built on the back of miners who worked in terrible conditions & only received a decent wage for about the 10 years upto the time that Mrs T shat one them from a great height 👿

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I remember when government spent what it could afford rather than what it could print.

You mean when we had North Sea Oil?

I have to say that Thatcher had it easy. During her time we had a massive subsidy from North Sea Oil that isn't there any more. The difference between then and now has got sod all to do with the supposed Tories superior financial management.

Thatcher was also responsible for the Dash to Gas, building loads of gas power stations that now leave us reliant on imports from Russia, whilst at the same time destroying our coal industry.

thatscold
    Free Member

Just remember the calibre of opposition that Thatcher had to face…
    Kinnock = Comedy Gold

Blame Thatcher if you must, but remember the Labour government in the '70s, put us in a position where we were the sick man of Europe and had to call in the IMF, like Greece of today. The economy was so bad they started printing money like a banana republic…… printing money who'd of thought we'd be doing it again?

Edukator
    Free Member

If Thatcher had it easy then Blair had it easier. Fact is they both squandered a fabulous resource that could have lasted decades longer with an appropriate energy policy.

porterclough
    Free Member

Thatcher was also responsible for the Dash to Gas, building loads of gas power stations that now leave us reliant on imports from Russia, whilst at the same time destroying our coal industry.

and allowing us to meet our CO2 targets agreed at Kyoto.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

In 1975 with inflltion at 25% Labour fixed the interest rate at 11%. Totally inappropriate.

In 1981 with inflation at 12% Thatcher set interest rates at a highly appropriate 15%.

In 1997 Gordon Brown made the Bank of England independent and put a stop to the use of interest rates as a political tool.

Edukator
    Free Member

Oh come now Righplace, the BOE does what the government tells it to. Since 1997 that has been to keep to an inflation target based on inflation figures provided by the government. How independant is that? Perhaps if the BOE had been truly independant then it would have increased interest rates when faced with market bubbles, runaway government spending and nonsense government infaltion numbers.

I was born in '62.
    As I was approaching school leaving age, we were constantly warned that unemployment was almost 1 million and we would have to do well in our exams if we wanted a job.
    Then came 1979 and the "Labour isn't working" posters.
    Within a couple of years, the Conservatives had unemployment up to 4 million.

Big employers like Cadbury closing is a major news story now.
    I can remember a feature on the end of the TV news every night listing all the job losses. Every day there were factories and businesses closing with the loss of hundreds or thousands of jobs.

Trying to claim the Brixton and Handsworth riots were "race" riots.

Raising funds by selling off nationalised industries.

Edukator
    Free Member

Nationalisation of industries where free competition was possible has benefitted us all. However, monopolies such as water would have best remained public IMO as a public monopoly is no less efficient than a private monopoly but more expensive as there are share holders to pay. Would you really go back to a monopoly telephone provider?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Get a grip, get out on your bikes and stop arguing over history.

I love the way, in the face of overwhelming damning testimony of real experiences of life under the Tories, the best any Thatcherite apologist can come up with is 'oh let's forget about it all and just ride our bikes'. 😆

Pathetic. That the best you've got?

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Since 1997 that has been to keep to an inflation target based on inflation figures provided by the government. How independant is that?

More independent than it used to be. And GB didn't have to do it did he? Must have been very tempting to hang onto that particular lever of control, but he didn't.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Would you really go back to a monopoly telephone provider?

We have some of the shittest and most expensive internets of any developed nation. Had the telecommunications infrastructure remained in public hands, the whole nation could now be benefitting from renting it out to all the different telecommunications companies, instead of one private company holding the rest to ransom. Fair competition? My arse. We could have had proper fibre optic cables all over by now. Instead, we have an increasing number of customers being squeezed onto ageing copper wire technology which is completely inadequate at supplying demand.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Blue thro and thro!

Edukator
    Free Member

Funny that, I have a fibre optic Internet connection provided by a private company and the bill for that, HD TV, and unlimited telephone use is about a fifth of what I paid the state monopoly provider for telephone alone ten years back.

colnagokid

Mines being shut down as unecconomic, still millions of tonnes of high quality coal in the ground, better than the stuff they import- just to shaft the NUM really
    Shipyards forced to compete for orders against foriegn subsidised yards- just to further shaft the workers really
    The selling off, to her rich cronnies, the services of our country-pulling the wool over the eyes of the population by bunging them a couple of quid for 'their' shares
    Giving people the right to buy council houses at vastly under-market value, without putting anything back into providing more social housing
    etc
    etc
    etc

Talkemada
    Free Member

Funny that, I have a fibre optic Internet connection provided by a private company and the bill for that, HD TV, and unlimited telephone use is about a fifth of what I paid the state monopoly provider for telephone alone ten years back.

Where do you live? Not the UK, I'd wager…

anagallis_arvensis

I remember loads of riots in and around Birmigham and I remember wondering quite why I was considered the scum of the earth for growing up in a single parent family. (which reminds me of an old thread when I had a huge argument about this with somone or other….

brown_eyed_girl
    Free Member

"There's no such thing as society".

That summed her up for me.

Edukator
    Free Member

Well the NUM needed shafting. It got pay back for imposing its political will on the country rather than fighting in the interest of its members. When you vote for a government you don't want or expect a union to dictate government policy (unless you voted Labour at the time in which case you knew you were voting for a trade union funded political party).

allthepies
    Free Member

>You mean when we had North Sea Oil?
    >I have to say that Thatcher had it easy

Did North Sea oil only come on stream in 1979 ? Or did the Labour government pre-Thatch have access to the oil money also ?

uplink
    Free Member

Did North Sea oil only come on stream in 1979 ?

It was a little before that but not much – it wasn't till the early 80s that it was coming ashore in enough quantity for us to be self sufficient

Dickyboy

[Well the NUM needed shafting]

Yep couldn't agree more, unfortunately the working miners and their communities were caught in the power battle between Scargill & Thatcher. Much like the poor Iraqi's caught up in the chaos caused by Bush, Sadam & Blair.

Don't vote it only encourages the b'stards

Edukator
    Free Member

You win your wager Talkemada. None of the 3G telephone network was installed by the monopoly state operator either here or in the UK AFAIK. Companies bid huge amounts of money for licences with clauses on the quality of infrastructure. The same public regulation of private providers could be applied to ISPs. However, it's competition that has brought prices down. I pay 35e/month for fibre optic which is only 5e more than ADSL from one of half a dozen providers.

grantway
    Free Member

I remember Black Wednesday, Poll Tax, The Riots in London, I witness the signing of the end of the mining strikes.

I cannot forget the intrest rates going sky high day after day
    and The Tories had no idea how to control it or what to do.

Also Trever Howard screwed up the pensions and introduced private
    pensions was the way forward and how many are about to suffer?
    But also Gorden Brown has screwed up here too!!!
    Also every time the Torie MPs got caught doing wrong, and you expect them to chuck them out of Parliment they do this Done Thing and kept them in.

Also the Tories sold most of our Assets for next to nothing.

The Tories sold off our social housing cleverly to control the working class people.

I also had a client who introduced the back to basics policy for the
    Tories, but unknown to him what was going on And The Tories had taken
    him to court but he had won. If it was not for Labour who had given him help
    He had his phone bugged and was constantly followed.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Somehow, I can tell Grantway went to school in the Tory era…

allthepies
    Free Member

>Also Trever Howard screwed up the pensions and introduced private
    pensions

Yeah, but he ROCKED in Brief Encounter.

hora
    Free Member

Look at Labours legacy. Its disgusting. expansion of the public sector to 60% of the working population, then theres the "we'll help the poor" by feeding complacency and idleness rather than tough love.

We are going to get 5 more years of this from them and then the Tories will have to pick up the pieces.

Don't get me wrong. I grew up in poverty. Poverty some of you have never known the likes of. However I, like many working men am aspirational. I want something better. As such I can't vote for a party that enriches itself whilst showing the ultimate incompetence.

Labour does not represent the working man. Never has. None of them have. However any honest hard working man wants something better for his children. Look alot of Asians for instance.

Therefore I look to the Labour legacy, £900,000,000,000 debt and growing.

We are all poor now.

uplink
    Free Member

Trevor Howard 😆

julianwilson
    Free Member

The bits that stand out for me (born in 1977 btw) are
    -falklands
    -miners
    -poll tax
    -poll tax riots
    -Kenneth Baker
    -Care In The Community Act
    -Student grants phased out in favour of loans.

I didn't like drinking milk as a child and so remember it well and remember being not at all bothered about it. 🙂

My father in law worked from 16 to retirement for british gas/transco. He also loves/fundraises for etc trains and Vulcans (the plane that is). His three favourite things in life fairly well dismantled under conservative governments and still he looooooves them so. 😕

Northwind

I'm too young, mainly I remember "kill the bill", being told that there was no chance at all the CJA would ever be used to suppress peaceful protest, then my mates being arrested under the powers in the act 24 hours after it was passed while peacfully protesting. Impressive stuff.

"Fuel prices is my current issue"

Oil is expensive. The tories massively increased fuel tax, for most years of the last labour government fuel taxation fell in real terms. Fact.

Talkemada
    Free Member

then theres the "we'll help the poor" by feeding complacency and idleness rather than tough love.

Or

By providing better health care, education and social support. Areas where Labour have performed better than the Tories.

Hora; you've not thought this through really, have you?

However I, like many working men am aspirational. I want something better. As such I can't vote for a party that enriches itself whilst showing the ultimate incompetence

So, you won't be voting Tory then? 😀

We are all poor now.

No we're not. We live in one of the most affluent countries on Earth, you numpty! Poor? I thought you said you knew what real poverty was? 🙄

uplink
    Free Member

They talk about terror laws being used as the basis for all sorts of arrests now but I can remember when the Tories [Trevor Howard again, I think 😉 ] ordered the police to break up peaceful protests using – long forgotten – Victorian laws to arrest people
    'watching & besetting' – WTF?

allthepies
    Free Member

>being told that there was no chance at all the CJA would ever be used to suppress peaceful protest, then my mates being arrested under the powers in the act 24 hours after it was passed while peacfully protesting. Impressive stuff.

You'll love Anti-terror legislation introduced under Labour then 🙂

>-Student grants phased out in favour of loans.

Yes, Labour implemented that one ( http://www.independent.co.uk/news/student-grants-and-free-tuition-to-end-next-year-1251578.html )

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

"Well the NUM needed shafting." Edukator, you're a teacher, what the **** do you know about the coal industry? Scargill may have had an overinflated ego, he may well have made the struggle personal due to his emnity of Thatcher, but you know what? He was right. And as an ex-pat, what gives you the right to hold forth about the state of the nation?

Talkemada
    Free Member

He's got French broadband. 🙁

Northwind

"You'll love Anti-terror legislation introduced under Labour then"

Yep, exactly the same thing… Except that the anti-terror legislation is being abused, the CJA was designed to do the job it was used for from the ground up, but that's a trivial distinction.

bassspine
    Free Member

left school, went on dole.
    B4st4rd f3cking Thatcher

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 495 total)

The topic ‘The Tories – for those of us old enough to remember 1st hand’ is closed to new replies.