Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • The top 5 OT Topics…
  • DrP

Firstly, I am aware the T in OT stands for topic…., but Off topic topics works!

Secondly, there is no ‘officiality’ to this; simply an amusing interest and educated perception of what’s commonly sprouted from these here parts!

In no particular order, I reckon the top OT posts are probably about:
    -iDave and not eating carbs
    -log burners
    -petrol or diesel
    -divorce, or other personal family matters
    -medical questions (maybe I’m more aware of those?)

It seems that the obsession with coffee (for which, if you remember, sprouted it’s own forum) has cooled down a bit???

Anyhoo, just an though I came up with in my post-night-shift-glazed-brain…..

Sleep well….

DrP

TheFlyingOx

Niche razors.

scaredypants

You’ve not seen the new coffee lounge, DrP ??

Man, you’re missing out

justatheory
    Free Member

Dogs

samuri
    Free Member

I can’t ever remember seeing a thread about log burners. Although to be fair, I’m guessing my brain would block out such middle class arsery as an automatic process.

I think you’ve missed out ‘My computer is broke’ followed by a lengthy thread of unhelpful and ignorant answers before one of the three people here who actually know about computers pipes up with the solution.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Sir Jimmy Saville

(For quality if not quantity)

yossarian
    Free Member

The ‘no smoke without fire’ thread has become an existential classic.

It’s how all threads should be.

scuzz
    Free Member

Indignation.

nickf
    Free Member

Niche razors, log burners, woodpiles and dogs. The fact that I contribute to all of them in no way influences my thoughts……

Hadge
    Free Member

I know I’m biased but one OT that gets a lot of responses from total non participants in is the spider threads. It’s great getting comments from members about our hobby and it’s always pleasing sharing our information and posting pictures of these “little” creatures and long shall we do so 😀 But I agree with the OP to his choice of the top 5 as well.

Jamie
    Free Member

If you replace top 5 with best 5:

– Spider/nature threads (hoho) – Hadge/Roper etc
    – Doing stuff threads – Stoner’s shed/McMoonter’s wood based activities etc
    – Random members losing their shit thread – Kaseae RM / No smoke without fire etc
    – Nice threads – The Bullheart thread / Sue W needing cheering up etc
    – Everything else really sans politics or the topics that get the usual suspects hot under the collar.

Edit: I had started writing this before Hadge commented 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Any big hitter/oracle flame war thread.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You’ve all forgotten ‘Molly asks the forum…’

Dropped off the list for a bit, but thankfully he’s back in work and we get to play surrogate again.

zokes
    Free Member

Absolutely NOT any thread with the term “big hitter” in it

DezB
    Free Member

The best OT topic (is that a bit like PIN number?) EVER is the Tune Association thread. So music is top.
    Followed by driving.
    You could make something up about driving, like say, getting a speeding ticket and the thread would go bonkers.

PS. I never make anything up, that would be like kerazy cuckoo, man.

zokes
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me what happened at the end of the Jimmy Saville thread? I was just getting onto the last page when it suddenly vanished…

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Oddly enough zokes, not a lot about the saville, just a number of insults and threats between the guy who started the thread and one or two others.

zokes
    Free Member

Excellent anonymous tags btw… There must be someone self-important about.

Cougar

This is the Chat forum. For a thread to be Off Topic, it’d have to be about bikes.

Most common On Topic threads:

Which phone should I get?
    Which anti-virus should I get?
    Which computer should I get?
    Which camera should I get?
    Which razor should I get?

stevious

Not forgetting the highly emotional threads about different types of operating system.

It will never cease to amaze me how worked up people can get about other peoples choice of electronics.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Guitars
    Moaning about Top Gear
    My coffee/ale/pot roast recipe is better than yours.
    Moaning about Fatcha/Broon/CallMeDave/Milliband
    Are my children normal if they do/say this?

Jamie
    Free Member

It will never cease to amaze me how worked up people can get about other peoples choice of electronics.

Sounds like the sort of thing an Apple user would say.

Get back to your iPad, hippy!

schmiken

Clown race thread?

ski
    Free Member

Lets not forget all the dog owners bickering posts too

bikebouy
    Free Member

Or those utterly pointless and hugely annoying:

“I’m a Landlord, my Tenants an asre and I want them out, ohhh hang on I can’t so how do I do that?, whats a S21? can’t I just turn up with the heavies and chuck their stuff in the street?, ohhh wait they’ve paid their rent so that’s nerfed that idea, ohhh no, no I still want them out cos’ they smell, what d’ya mean I can’t kick them out cos’ they smell, ohhh hang on they’ve gone and trashed the place (well taken a lampshade down, but it’s the same thing right?) ahhh now I’ve re advertised the property with another useless Agent, god they’re crap, what can I do about that?, ohhh hang on they’ve found someone, should I take the new Tenant? Ohhh wait, someones called me asking they don’t go through the Agent, should I do this I mean it’ll save money right?!!!”

Type threads.

chakaping
    Free Member

You forget the threads that look like they might be interesting topics but turn out to be a fatuous love-in among various tedious big-hitters.

These are getting almost as bad as the argumental threads, IMO.

molgrips
    Free Member

I missed the Saville one, was it good?

PJM1974
    Free Member

The “What’s in my hip-flask?” threads are always good though. More of these please.

DezB
    Free Member

Clown race thread?

I don’t remember that one..

scaredypants

it was yesterday Dez – all about cheap components from overseas

ratherbeintobago

medical questions (maybe I’m more aware of those?)

There aren’t that many of those.

Andy

(In any case, the answer to any medical question is always pre-oxygenate for 3 min, thio/sux/COETT, air/O2/Iso/opioid/atrac, unless I’ve been spending too much time on the Anaesthetics forum of DnUK :-P)

scaredypants

MrTobago – was your username previously strongly linked to yr last comment ?

ratherbeintobago

No, but I am by no means the only member of the STW gas board.

Andy

DrP

You’re right, probably not that many medical ones, just a heightened awareness to them!
    I think I’d add:
    Driving and speeding
    DSLRs
    Being attacked by dogs!
    What car…

DrP

duntmatter
    Free Member

Niche consumerism of various hues turning into passive-aggressive one-upmanship.

DrP

^
    You’ve just summarized STW, no?!

DrP

chakaping
    Free Member

There have been more medical threads of late I reckon, specifically in the depression/fatigue/non-specific illness arena.

🙂

duntmatter
    Free Member

You’ve just summarized summarised STW, no?!

FTFY

I have now. 😉

Eyepic
    Free Member

Sorry but I feel compelled to point out that there are nowhere near enough threads about Log burners, woodpiles and chainsaws/axes.

Can you actually talk about them enough?

Eyepic
    Free Member

Ohh and Lights… they havn’t been mentioned for ages…now the days are getting longer.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘The top 5 OT Topics…’ is closed to new replies.