Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 242 total)
  • Tree Surgeons? Will I die if I try this?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

The pictures are not that clear I’m afraid.

I have a 50ft tree that has partially uprooted itself in the storm. It’s held in the canopy of an adjacent tree and seems stable for the short term.

Should it fall it will take out my Pool Hoose which I obviously dont want to happen.

What is the best plan forward. I have a grey Fergie tractor and a 4×4. I was thinking attatching a rope as high up the tree as I can then cutting a hinge on the opposite side its falling towards. Not cutting it through completely and trying to tow it away from the building and hoping it would fall safely. If needs be I could ask at the farm for the hire/loan a huge tractor or maybe a loadall.

I’m worried I’m using words like ‘thinking and hoping’. What would a pro do?

Holyzeus
    Free Member

As a layman, your’re going to pull it towards you whilst sitting in a tractor/4×4….?? 😯

m00s3y
    Free Member

You might be able to twist it around but really it needs a proper job – don’t underestimate how heavy these things are!

I’d imagine they’d cut it in steps from the stump end but no expert..

meehaja
    Free Member

You are going to die eventually whatever happens. Might as well take the tree down.

I’d be inclined to rope it as high as possible, get a friend to pull it away from the pool house and then climb up it, using your weight to pull it the rest of the way down (shouting “weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee” as the tree falls is optional, but recommended.)

v8ninety

I say go for it. Just make sure the rope is longer than the tree is tall. What’s the worst that can happen? So long as it doesn’t involve anyone getting squished, then crack on…

wwaswas

as soon as you put any strain on it via the rope the end you’re sawing may decide to let go and ping up taking your chainsaw and/or face with it.

personally, I’d pay someone who knew what they were doing to have a go.

They’ll have insurance to cover tractor/4×4/poolhouse/face replacement as well.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

User the tractor and a big rope to move the Pool House instead!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’d get a pro in. That’s not an easy one to get right, especially by yourself. Ideally I reckon you’d want to be pulling it as its being cut, but a small mistake on the rope tension and its bye bye pool house…. worth the risk?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

As a layman, your’re going to pull it towards you whilst sitting in a tractor/4×4….??

Even if the rope is around the roots, if it’s longer than the tree itself, then shirly no problem with being squashed?*

(* – other problems with this job are available)

Can’t really help, but as a happy amateur, looks like one of those hang-ups that I would cause with a badly placed hinge that takes ages to drop safely. Video of the final solution please 🙂

thepurist

Whatever you do, video it! 😀

Chris-S
    Free Member

Whatever you do, just remember to get someone to video it – Could end up on you’ve been framed !

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Just drop kick the son of a bitch down.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

In my professional opinion you need explosives.

cheers_drive

A few hundred quid to pay someone to do it or a pretty good chance of serious injury.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Hire in Chuck Norris?

bruneep

Best all round if you move out and I move in.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d put a rope around it as high as you can and have a go at pulling it to see if it’s all feasible…if it looks good then I think your idea CANNOT FAIL should be OK….I’d use a bloody long rope though so you’re nowhere near it when it breaks.

Oh and I am thinking tree surgeons will be hard to come by in the next few weeks…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

serious suggestion – would your buildings insurance cover it?

Jamie
    Free Member

Whatever you do, video it!

^^This please.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Mcmoonter converts pool house into yet another log store!

Klunk
    Free Member

hire one of these

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwwkO7m4bpY&feature=related[/video]

v8ninety

If it was me, I had access to a tractor, chainsaw rope and reasonably useful mates, I would be all over this. So long as you think one step ahead, think about where the energy transfer is, respect the weight of the tree and the cutting gear, and take careful precautions for all of the above, then why part with cash? The satisfaction of getting it done will be worth it alone. It’s proper bloke stuff, isn’t it? (so long as you still have a face)

rickmeister

I’m not a pro but applying a bit of sense…

1. Check home insurance…….
    2. Get advice from a pro. or ask a pro (who will have insurance), to do it… .. working with windblown and hung up trees with a mate who knew this stuff, windblown trees were quite unpredictable in which way they went and how the broken bits behaved, especially at the nasty/chainsaw where your standing, end…
    3. Very big tractor and rope sounds a good idea and it looks like there is good access from your pictures… you may just be able to drag it rather than cutting it which may be more controllable and safest at the end of a rope, in a tractor….

v8ninety

If the big tractor has a hydraulic winch you could just drag it from the base having tied guy lines to prevent it from falling on the pool hut?

jon1973
    Free Member

We have a candidate for the 2012 Darwin Award already.

SD-253
    Free Member

If you can afford a pool house you can afford an expert who is insured. Are you insured if you cock it up? Will your insurance company pay out if you drop the tree on your “pool house”. Also they would probably pay for someone to come and cut it down as this maybe a claimable item.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

serious suggestion – would your buildings insurance cover it?

Its a buckshee building with no planning consent so the insurance company would just laugh at it.

I’m with V8 ninety on this. Access is good from the pulling side. I have some super strong webbing strops. I was having doubts about using the cabless Fergie. But with a big tractor and some common sense it has to be doable.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh no – not the Ferris Bueller’s Day Off house!!!!

SD-253
    Free Member

You have get up there to put the rope/chain round thats the dangerous bit, so cherry picker maybe worth looking at? PS everything is

doable

sebgt
    Free Member

Pulled a tree out of the ground with a bigger trunk than that over the Christmas holidays.
    Used a spade and axe around the roots, tied a rope 5 meters up and pulled it over with a tractor.
    Tree was close to a building one side but had no issues with it going the ‘wrong way’ Got lots of logs for the fire now though

Video’d it too

damion
    Free Member

As a tree climber of seven years, turning up to that first thing in the morning would have me scratching my beard.

Things to consider: the root plate is acting as a counter weight: as the weight is removed, it may try to sit up again, pinching the saw if you carry out the gob it up, and cut from behind.

With my health and safety hat on, I’d want a mewp to dismantle the crown before tackling the stem. With my self employed hat on, I’d prolly try and dismantle it top down from the adjacent tree.

Look like ash, correct? Straight grain see, notorious for barber chairing, hmmm… still scratching.

rickmeister

Where are you, can I come round and watch!

Fishing rod and line to get a rope over the tree as high as possible and then pull 90 degrees to the trunk and hope it swivels on the root ball….

Like V8 says, think it through carefully if your going to use a chain saw on the base…. and mates is a good idea…. and dont forget your escape route if it goes a bit pete tong….

SD-253
    Free Member

v8ninety – Member

then why part with cash?

To save money its like insurance

The satisfaction of getting it done will be worth it alone.

You are easily satisfied? Do you work behind desk all day? or coming up to your 18th birthday or both.

It’s proper bloke stuff, isn’t it?

Get a life

I’m a lumberjack and I’m okay
    I sleep all night and I work all day
    He’s a lumberjack and he’s okay
    He sleeps all night and he works all day

I cut down trees, I eat my lunch
    I go to the lavat’ry
    On Wednesdays I go shopping
    And have buttered scones for tea
    He cuts down trees…
    He’s a lumberjack…

I cut down trees, I skip and jump
    I like to press wild flow’rs
    I put on women’s clothing
    And hang around in bars
    He cuts down trees…
    He’s a lumberjack…

I cut down trees, I wear high heels
    Suspendies and a bra
    I wish I’d been a girlie
    Just like my dear papa
    He cuts down trees…
    He’s a lumberjack…

WAHH! And I thought you were so RUGGED!

damion
    Free Member

yeah, big tractor, big rope as high up as possible, gob it 90 degrees to the pool house, REALLY thick hinge, and lots of video 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Damion

I had a horrible experience with a root root plate pulling the stump vertical once before. That freaked me senseless.

I dont think it is an Ash.

I’ll do a bit some more head scratching before I try anything heroic.

I’m in Fife.

rickmeister

I’ll do a bit some more head scratching before I try anything heroic horrific

FIFY !

Pretty windy here in Musselburgh today… think there were bits flying off TJ’s roof too

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Hire a telescopic chainsaw and take it down in sections.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

…pinching the saw if you carry out the gob it up…

…notorious for barber chairing…

Wow! It’s like a different language bearing a tree surgeon.

CaptJon
    Free Member

If you’ve got some rope use it to keep the tree upright by pulling it back a bit/tying it off

rickmeister
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 242 total)

The topic ‘Tree Surgeons? Will I die if I try this?’ is closed to new replies.