Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • THE THE did I miss something tonight?
  • lurpak

Been a fan since the 80s bur think I might’ve missed something online this evening? Any pointers?

tang
    Free Member

Say what? More info please

peajay

Is it just me or is Soul Mining the best album ever made?

lurpak

TODAY at 5pm UK time. #THETHE
    Tune into #RadioCineola for music, poetry + chat. https://t.co/LAb9NETjLD

johndoh
    Free Member

I want to be Infected

jambalaya
    Free Member

This is the Day … what a great song

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I used to think that until Infected was released. Then he released Mind Bomb.

Listening back to the three of them, Mind Bomb would slightly edge it for me. I’m still amazed that albums released in the late ’80s are still so lyrically relevant. Matt Johnson was writing songs about Banking, Greed, Middle East conflict, Religious scaremongering, the collapse of inner cities etc that at the time was low on the political agenda.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Heartland is a prophetic song, in fact that whole album is as good as music gets IMHO.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Neneh Cherry tied to a trainline……

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Nah. The best The The LP, maybe. Every one of the first four LPs have some heartbreaking big old stone-cold classics that would be painfully absent if there was ever one ‘best’ LP. It was potent stuff for my post-teenage mind. Still get existential angst and major chills when I hear ‘Another Boy Drowning’ or ‘The Mercy Beat’. ‘Love Is Stronger Than Death’ reminds me of losing a close friend at 23yrs old, around the time I first heard it. Thankfully I discovered other genres of excellent music otherwise this body might well have been floating in the Bristol Channel since 1990 8)

bodgy
    Free Member

Dammit, missed the Radio Cinema session.

tang
    Free Member

The last time I saw the the live was on the mind bomb tour. One of the best gigs I’ve ever been to. Three orange kisses from Kazam? Even the b sides from soul mining are gems.

zippykona

If you want to set my brain into meltdown just ask me to choose the best version of Uncertain Smile. Single or album version , maybe single but aagh I don’t know.

tang
    Free Member

Or the 12″ with funky flute section!

codybrennan
    Free Member

“If you want to set my brain into meltdown just ask me to choose the best version of Uncertain Smile. Single or album version.”

I’ll put your brain at ease- its the album version 🙂

tenfoot

Does the single have Jools Holland on it?

Soul Mining is my favourite album. Still sounds great .

tang
    Free Member

Jools Holland can be forgiven most irritations for his piano solo.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

this thread got me in the mood for some Soul mining- listening to the extra lp on the 30th anniversary edition. This is the Day is still my bad day record ala Lamacq. Smashing.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Ah, brings back great memories.I got to see them at the Royal Albert Hall on the Mind bomb tour featuring Johnny Marr on guitar.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘THE THE did I miss something tonight?’ is closed to new replies.