Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The stw wine appreciation thread
  • geoffj

Tesco Simply Côtes du Rhône is going down very nicely.
    Got a coupla bottles of Vermentino lined up for Sunday lunch tomorrow. What you lot drinking?

tootallpaul

Saint Emilion Grand Cru from Lidl. Cracking.

higgo
    Free Member

Cote Rotie tonight.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Yeh I love wine ……….that’s all …….;)

wool

Salon 1990 simply amazing.

Stoner
    Free Member

hate to break it to you tootallpaul, but “grand cru” on a a St Emillion is effectively meaningless and denotes nothing of any additional quality unless its is suffixed by “classé”. And if it really was a “grand cru classé”, you wouldnt be buying it in Lidl 😉

you can read up on it here if interested
    http://www.thewinedoctor.com/regionalguides/bordeaux12stemilion.shtml

Me, Im drinking “good french red” from a Morrisons box, but then Im not going to waste the good stuff on Moonraker 🙂

sputnik
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbOZccv9ym8[video]

sputnik
    Free Member

Bloody link not working for me 🙁

Here goes, Astralian table wines-

A lot of people in this country pooh-pooh Australian table wines. This is a pity, as many fine Australian wines appeal not only to the Australian palette, but also to the cognoscenti of Great Britain.

‘Black stump Bordeaux’ is rightly praised as a peppermint flavoured Burgundy, whilst a good ‘Sydney Syrup’ can rank with any of the world’s best sugary wines.

‘Chateau Bleu’, too, has won many prizes; not least for its taste, and its lingering afterburn.

‘Old Smokey, 1968’ has been compared favourably to a Welsh claret, whilst the Australian wino society thouroughly recommends a 1970 ‘Coq du Rod Laver’, which, believe me, has a kick on it like a mule: 8 bottles of this, and you’re really finished — at the opening of the Sydney Bridge Club, they were fishing them out of the main sewers every half an hour.

Of the sparkling wines, the most famous is ‘Perth Pink’. This is a bottle with a message in, and the message is BEWARE!. This is not a wine for drinking — this is a wine for laying down and avoiding.

Another good fighting wine is ‘Melbourne Old-and-Yellow’, which is particularly heavy, and should be used only for hand-to-hand combat.

Quite the reverse is true of ‘Chateau Chunder’, which is an Appalachian controle, specially grown for those keen on regurgitation — a fine wine which really opens up the sluices at both ends.

Real emetic fans will also go for a ‘Hobart Muddy’, and a prize winning ‘Cuiver Reserve Chateau Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga’, which has a bouquet like an aborigine’s armpit.

montylikesbeer

just done a white rioja, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Konastoner
    Free Member

Chateaux Saint Paul 2005, decanter needed though. £10 on offer from Co-Op of all places, can’t go wrong on a 2005 Bordeaux.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Everyday quaffer – Berry Bros Good Ordinary Claret.

(Disclaimer – I do not drink this, or anything for that matter, every day!)

Stu_N

Spanish night tonight here. Some Rias Baxias Albariño (Burgans, from Oddbins before they went pop).

Then a bottle of Marques de la Contraviessa CabSauv (a holiday wine, but pretty good in its own right – from the mountains below the Sierra Nevada).

Then a tiny glass of Noë Pedro Ximinez sherry for the digestion. From Majestic, if your local still has any left – they only stock it occasionally.

I love wine almost as much as I love bikes. FACT

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Loving any Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough at the moment.

sc-xc

We had 1/2 a glass left in two bottles. Mixed them together, and tasted alright.

They were both red, so it’s allowed.

Milkie
    Free Member

Found a £40 Virgin Wines voucher, so bought something similar to this.

trailmonkey

following my usual strategy of buying whatever is half price at tesco, i have stumbled upon this – outstanding.

ordering a case for the summer

sunnrider
    Free Member

White wine: Belondrade & Lurton
    If you can find it, it´s about £20 a bottle and is the nicest white wine I´ve ever tasted. (working in restaurants means I get to try lots of expensive ones but I prefer this)

Red Wine: Rioja Bordon Crianza
    Costs about 6euros here in Spain but tastes better than a lot of the 50euro+ bottles. Nice smooth, easy drinking wine.

If you have the wallet, then go for some of the Ribera del Duero wines.
    The Vega Sicilia Valbuena 5° is incredible (in both taste and price).

coolhandluke
    Free Member

+1 for the Castillo San Lorenzo when it’s half price at Tesco.

Also, Dino, when it’s half price is wonderful too.

geoffj

At the seaside today so will pop into the posh wine shop in St Andrews on way home.

juanking

Been enjoying some really rather good Amarone from Marks & Spencer. marksandspencer.com/Amarone-della-Valpolicella-Villalta-2008/dp/B000TQAOEM
    Needs a little time to breathe but boy is it good. This afternoon I am mostly drinking ice cold Gavi, another good not too expensive number!

Edukator
    Free Member

Saint Emilion Grand Cru from Lidl. Cracking.

Had one of those too if it’s the same one sold in France. I thought it excellent value for money with characteristics you’d hope for in a wine costing 50-100% more.

Edit: A Jurançon from the cave-cooperative “l’aperitif d’Henri IV” this evening as an apéro. Very pleasant.

BillMC

Chateau Poujeaux, Moulis Medoc, 2005. Sublime. Bought from the estate for half the price equivalent wines cost here.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘The stw wine appreciation thread’ is closed to new replies.