• This topic has 31 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • The "Something interesting" thread
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

A while ago there was a “tell me something interesting from your place of work” type thread that was pretty popular and full of random interesting bits of obscure information.

Lets have another one 😀

it can be:

. an interesting fact
    . an interesting picture
    . an interesting video
    . a good joke or story

RealMan
    Free Member

This is great, and well worth a read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions

Trekster

Apparently 2 people a year re killed operating industrial steam boilers. Just had a one day training course on how to operate a mobile package unit we have hired in at work. Worried 😯
    boiler explosion

ourkidsam
    Free Member

What would happen if you stuck your hand in the large hadron collider?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NMqPT6oKJ8&feature=player_embedded[/video]

ton

on a thursday, when i do my weekly phone round to get owed monies in, the best excuse i have had for non payment is………………..

‘sorry, i cant pay you cos the dog has eaten my wallet’……… 😯

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Someone on this forum is related to a former prime minister. iDave knows who it is.

FuzzyWuzzy

The quantum two-slit experiment made we “wtf” out loud whilst watching the Horizon “what is reality” program the other day.

I’d also be interested to know if anything useful has actually come out of all the billions invested in particle and quantum physics? Not having a dig but I can see we’ve had usable stuff come out of atomic research etc. but have all these colliders actually produced any results of benefit to mankind? If/wehn Higgs-Boson is finally detected will it actually give us any meaningful benefit? I can see quantum computers being a huge leap but how far off a usable quantum computer are we (i.e. one that has a practical application)?

anjs
    Free Member

hmm I think you will find the transisitor has be fairly useful

CaptJon
    Free Member

That guy from D:Ream would be well annoyed.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

FuzzyWuzzy, we don’t know how exactly beneficial this research will be in the future, but scientific research often provides unexpected bonuses. For example the World Wide Web was developed at the CERN accelerator. I think you’ll agree that has been a meaningful benefit.

oddjob
    Free Member

I am certain that Schrodinger’s cat is dead by now.

anjs
    Free Member

have you looked?

MrNutt
    Free Member

superpowers, obviously.

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

By far the greater part of the methane cattle expel is through burping, not flatus as commonly reckoned.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    Someone on this forum is related to a former prime minister. iDave knows who it is.

Interesting fact – It’s not me.

donsimon
    Free Member

For example the World Wide Web was developed at the CERN accelerator. I think you’ll agree that has been a meaningful benefit.

You don’t come here very often, do you?

Luminous
    Free Member

Today:
    Where the heck were CAE 6 months ago ?, its a bit late to tell us theres and issue now.

Amusing office moment:
    In one office, mate of mine noticed the new office layout posted on the notice board.

He decided to rearrange said plan, obviously placing the office totty on the desk next to him, mates near by etc.

He worked through the plan re-locating people, rubbing out names and replacing them with others, etc, thought it’d be a laugh.
    Then we found out it was the original and only plan 😯

Then we laughed !

DezB
    Free Member

Interesting sport what I just discovered

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP0zDMpLlx0&feature=player_embedded[/video]

iDave
    Free Member

Someone on this forum has a puppy that they go on and on and on about all the bloody time.. 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

DezB, I’d heard about that before, I’d love to give it a go, its just a problem finding a club..

ourkidsam, its things like that that almost made me do physics at uni, great video.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

lol @ Don Simon

bullheart
    Free Member

All of these ‘Bright Young Things’ studied at my school:

Adele
    Blake Harrison
    Dane Bowers
    Emily Head
    Imogen Heap
    Jeremy Warmsley
    Kate Nash
    Katy B
    Katie Melua
    Kellie Shirley
    Leona Lewis
    Marsha Ambrosius (Floetry)
    Natalie Stewart (Floetry)
    Noisettes
    Rickie Haywood Williams
    Amy Winehouse
    Polly Scattergood
    Stefan Abingdon (The Midnight Beast)
    FranKo (Band)
    Jessie J

DezB
    Free Member

DezB, I’d heard about that before, I’d love to give it a go, its just a problem finding a club.

Let’s start one!
    Remember, the 1st rule about Chessboxing club…

RealMan
    Free Member

Let’s start one!
    Remember, the 1st rule about Chessboxing club…

Proper LOL 😆

I’d have to work on my chess, haven’t played properly in a long time.

DezB
    Free Member

How about Scrabbleboxing?

RealMan
    Free Member

Not got the same ring to it.

DezB
    Free Member

‘Ring’ ha! I gettit 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Phil – when did you get that rather dandy ‘P’ prefixing your name? Are you on the register now?

Edit – I’ll tell you what would be interesting… why’s my name in black and others in blue?

philconsequence
    Free Member

i subscribed to the mag and got excited with the thought of premium content online too (assumed i’d have access to other users home address, bank details, bra size etc)

think the ones with blue just have a link set up to their name (dezB is an email address for example, others might link to their blog or chosen website)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

42A

Drac

I’m related to a former Prime Minister, iDave doesn’t know who it is.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘The "Something interesting" thread’ is closed to new replies.