Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)
  • "The SNP’s model of independence is broken beyond repair"
  • Daffy

Independent of Westminster. If Westminster could be totally reformed – a federal system of government with PR voting – I’d lose all interest in Scottish independence. But I don’t believe that can possibly happen, and I think Westminster is so totally broken that the only option is for Scotland to go it alone, despite the risks.

PR wouldn’t help the SNP…at all. Perhaps if the Scots stopped being so bloody provincial and tried to affect change ALL over the UK, say by forming a party which helps promote the values that seem to be cherished by them, something might get done. Tearing something apart in a desperate attempt keep small parts of it alive has never, ever worked.

Egypt, Rome, China, Palestine, Korea, Vietnam; In the immortal words of George Santayana.

bencooper
    Free Member

PR wouldn’t help the SNP…at all.

Fine with me, I’m not a SNP member.

Perhaps if the Scots stopped being so bloody provincial and tried to affect change ALL over the UK, say by forming a party which helps promote the values that seem to be cherished by them, something might get done.

Like, um, the SNP? How’s our efforts to effect change across the UK going so far? Not all that well, as we’re outnumbered by the Tories and a Labour party who can’t decide if they’re tearing themselves apart or abstaining on everything.

gordimhor

@big n daft And the jobs lost in the renewable energy industry? HMRC? The round of cuts approaching in council services, and social care looks pretty grim too? (and I mean the cuts already in the pipeline not ones to come in the autumn statement)
    As for the question what is Scotland? I’ve been asking myself that for some time now

imnotverygood

That’s not really the point, though, is it? The point is we were told the shipyard jobs were safe with a No vote. We were told the steel jobs were safe with a No

But Trade union GMB Scotland welcomed the prime minister’s announcement, stating that it would secure employment.
    Jim Moohan, the union’s senior organiser and chair of the Confederation of Shipbuilding and Engineering Unions said: “Once again this is great news for Clydeside, which has been rewarded for its continuing quality of work produced by the skills and experience heavily invested in by BAE Systems.
    “Instead of the peaks and troughs which caused redundancies in the past, we now have continuity.
    “This should be welcomed and not used for political mischief by those who have no knowledge in this area of industry and whose vision going forward was a dated Type 42 Destroyer to be the sole protection for Scottish waters in the event that the referendum question had answered Yes.”

Daffy

bencooper – Member
    Like, um, the SNP? How’s our efforts to effect change across the UK going so far?

Who have campaigned solely on the idea of an Independent Scotland, they have absolutely NO intention of attempting change in the UK, just division of it. What is needed is a UK party, not a Scottish National Party, which will take those ideals (which no one seems to be able to define) and offer them to a wider audience. Have the SNP done ANY of that? Anything at all?

Did Nicola Sturgeon help the hundreds of Scottish Steelworkers? She has the power, she has the budgetary controls…nothing, not even a measure to help local business.

RE Steelworkers and job losses, remember that THOUSANDS of english steelworkers also lost their jobs when hundreds of Scots did. Why did this happen? A Chinese economy that’s shrinking, a European law which prevents the government from acting (this wouldn’t change if Scotland were independent, as the SNP have vehemently stated that they’d be staying in the Euro) and high UK wages driven by a growing economy…

tpbiker
    Free Member

To be fair its what the vast majority of econonomists were saying all along. It shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone with a shred of intelligence.

Whats equally unsurprising is that the SNP leadership appears to have known that the numbers didn’t add up, but were happy to put the livlihoods of its citizens at risk in its vain attempt to achieve its goals…

copa
    Free Member

Scotland is a nation of over five million people, with good natural resources and decent infrastructure. It would cope fine with not being controlled by upper class loons trying to cling on to a crumbling British empire.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

trying to cling on to a crumbling British empire.

😆

gordimhor

Which powers should she have used Daffy just to help you here’s a list of devolved and reserved powers from the scottish parliament website
    Devolved matters
    Devolved matters include:
    agriculture, forestry and fisheries
    education and training
    environment
    health and social services
    housing
    law and order (including the licensing of air weapons)
    local government
    sport and the arts
    tourism and economic development
    many aspects of transport
    Reserved matters
    Reserved matters include:
    benefits and social security
    immigration
    defence
    foreign policy
    employment
    broadcasting
    trade and industry
    nuclear energy, oil, coal, gas and electricity
    consumer rights
    data protection
    the constitution

konabunny
    Free Member

I’m glad someone brought up Scotch independence. I think it’s an idea that merits further discussion to see if something might come of it.

mt
    Free Member

Free Yorkshire from the petty stupid narrow minded squabbles of Westminster and Holyrood. We are bigger better and only reliant on a good cup of tea.

epicyclo

konabunny – Member
    I’m glad someone brought up Scotch independence. I think it’s an idea that merits further discussion…

Yes, it’s about time this was brought up. 🙂

But surely the Scots are too wee and stupid to be trusted with running their own country.

What we really need is rule by Etonian porcine necrofellatio enthusiasts under the wise guidance of corporate billionaires, and the opportunity to go killing foreigners in their own homes. We are truly blessed.

🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Free Yorkshire

Something the rest of the country can agree on, piss off and don’t come back 😉

Perhaps we can find somewhere to put all the separatists then evict them, how about Essex?

lemonysam
    Free Member

Free Yorkshire

Yeah, good luck trying to get them to pay for it.

Daffy

gordimhor – Member
    Which powers should she have used Daffy just to help you here’s a list of devolved and reserved powers from the scottish parliament website
    Devolved matters
    Devolved matters include:
    agriculture, forestry and fisheries
    education and training
    environment
    health and social services

housing
    law and order (including the licensing of air weapons)
    local government
    sport and the arts
    tourism and economic development
    many aspects of transport
    Reserved matters
    Reserved matters include:
    benefits and social security
    immigration
    defence
    foreign policy
    employment
    broadcasting
    trade and industry
    nuclear energy, oil, coal, gas and electricity
    consumer rights
    data protection
    the constitution

Perhaps the same ones that Cameron used (Training (to free up £9m to help local businesses and Environment(by attempting to cut the environmental tariffs applied to high energy use) and the ones which the Italians used better Health and Social Services.

Daffy

What we really need is rule by Etonian porcine necrofellatio enthusiasts under the wise guidance of corporate billionaires, and the opportunity to go killing foreigners in their own homes. We are truly blessed.

What we need is a new system, not just for Scotland, but for the UK, the Libdems were positioning themselves to be just that in 2010, but screwed themselves and the country (in the long term) by focusing on the short term wins offered through entry into a coalition. Don’t get me wrong, some of the measures they managed to get enacted during their time in coalition were exceptional, but they sacrificed their party and the future to do it.

Proportional Represenation is where the Lib Dems would still gain the most and the tories would lose the most. Same goes for the SNP.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

White Paper debunked – tick
    Record in office – WIP

mefty
    Free Member

Proportional Represenation is where the Lib Dems would still gain the most

Although UKIP would gain far more.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Yeah, good luck trying to get them to pay for it

Try asking Harrogate, that’s where all the rich buggers live. We’ve got nowt dahnere but oils int rurd.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

It’s not a question of whether some other party can do better it’s a question of whether it’s economically possible.

Spot on.

epicyclo

Best comment I’ve seen in a while on the state of the UK

The UK is like a late middle aged man with impotence. He still strives for the glory days of his youth so he spends on expensive toys that he can’t afford and lets the kids go hungry to compensate for the fact that he can’t get it up any more.

This is a country which is about to go to war yet again, not because British military intervention would actually make any real difference. A few more bombs from the handful of planes that the RAF can spare won’t change the outcome of the war in Syria. The reason that the UK is going to war is because it allows Davie Cameron to pose as an international statesman. It allows an aged superpower that’s no longer a power in its own living room to pretend that it still matters in a world where it’s long since been an irrelevance.

The only thing that the UK can still get up is the Prime Minister’s tongue up the backside of the US President. It would be laughably pathetic if it weren’t for the fact that people are going to die.

It’s why we want out.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I’m waiting for the turn of the rest of the UK to vote on whether we want to hang on to Scotland or cut them loose.

That will be more illuminating.

br
    Free Member

Scotland is a nation of over five million people, with good natural resources and decent infrastructure. It would cope fine with not being controlled by upper class loons trying to cling on to a crumbling British empire.

This.

grum
    Free Member

All the people lining up to slag off the author and the paper etc – it’s quoting a former SNP policy adviser saying that the SNPs independence model is broken. Now unless you think the quote is made up, isn’t that quite remarkable and worthy of consideration?

This is what gets on my nerves with lots of Yes supporters, we keep hearing about how much you all want a new kind of politics etc but then you keep resorting to the same cheap ad homs, whataboutery and faulty-logic emotional arguments that you claim to be rejecting. Disappointing.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Now unless you think the quote is made up, isn’t that quite remarkable and worthy of consideration?

Not really, everyone knew including the ‘Yes’ voters.

epicyclo

grum – Member
    …This is what gets on my nerves with lots of Yes supporters, we keep hearing about how much you all want a new kind of politics etc but then you keep resorting to the same cheap ad homs, whataboutery and faulty-logic emotional arguments that you claim to be rejecting. Disappointing.

We’re really just like anyone else in the UK, faults and virtues and all.

It’s just that we find colonial rule a bit oppressive.

footflaps

All the people lining up to slag off the author and the paper etc – it’s quoting a former SNP policy adviser saying that the SNPs independence model is broken. Now unless you think the quote is made up, isn’t that quite remarkable and worthy of consideration?

Not really, economic models change all the time. You could just as well argue that every country’s economic model is now bust as a result of oil almost halving in value, yet they all keep ticking along….

dragon
    Free Member

It allows an aged superpower that’s no longer a power in its own living room to pretend that it still matters in a world where it’s long since been an irrelevance.

This statement is so wrong its depressing that people actually believe this.

grum
    Free Member

We’re really just like anyone else in the UK, faults and virtues and all.
    It’s just that we find colonial rule a bit oppressive.

Well I see lots of idealistic stuff about being freed from the colonial shackles and becoming a proud new progressive nation, but then it looks like it’s all going to be based on the same spin and BS we’ve already got. Oh well.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but then it looks like it’s all going to be based on the same spin and BS. Oh well.

and the nasty colonial powers will still be to blame

philjunior
    Free Member

I voted for independence in the hope it could stop the tories from ripping essential public services to shreds here. I’m yet to see any argument against that.

To those that see the North Sea as a main part of Scottish finances, it is a nice bonus but by no means the majority of economic activity here, and were there to be appropriate investment (probably by a government that doesn’t rip up all renewables subsidies overnight) we could have a flourishing green energy industry.

It’s all irrelevant now, we’re stuck in the union. If people in the UK vote to leave Europe but Scotland doesn’t, I think there would be good reason to have another referendum on Scottish independence (Despite the SNP’s similar levels of willingness to blame Brussels for everything)

mefty
    Free Member

If an industry is dependent upon subsidy, I struggle to see how it can be described as flourishing.

epicyclo

ninfan
    Free Member

It’s why we want out.

Then why didn’t you vote for it?

Democracy can be a right bitch can’t it? 😆

philjunior
    Free Member

If an industry is dependent upon subsidy, I struggle to see how it can be described as flourishing.

If an industry is critical to society, it is likely to be subsidised to some degree. Conventional power rightly is in order to ensure reliable supply. Being that renewables are dependent upon newer, less well developed technology, it is reasonable to assume that for now subsidies (probably greater than those for conventional power) will be required to achieve the development and encourage the private investment required. It may then flourish and provide an income stream to the country in the future.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So epicyclo, is that 37% thinking it’s the biggest issue because it is or isn’t happening. Perhaps 37% think that the constant nagging question and bickering is the issue. A once in a lifetime referendum thats what you need to put that issue to bed for the next you know generation.

tpbiker
    Free Member

To those that see the North Sea as a main part of Scottish finances, it is a nice bonus but by no means the majority of economic activity here, and were there to be appropriate investment (probably by a government that doesn’t rip up all renewables subsidies overnight) we could have a flourishing green energy industry.

So we are relying on an industry that we don’t yet have yet…what else? Finance is pretty strong in Edinburgh, but there was major doubt that that would have remained the case in an independent Scotland.

exactly….

Like it or not the Indy economic arguement was weak at the time. Now even those who pulled it together are saying we’d have been stuffed.

grum
    Free Member

If an industry is dependent upon subsidy, I struggle to see how it can be described as flourishing

I dunno, I reckon our arms industry could easily be described as flourishing right now, or at least very soon.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dammit. A graph. And it’s only page three.

*wanders off grumbling about declining standards*

dancingfool
    Free Member

Finance is pretty strong in Edinburgh, but there was major doubt that that would have remained the case in an independent Scotland.

exactly….

What exactly is a massivle bailout of a failing bank if not a subsidy by a different name?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘"The SNP’s model of independence is broken beyond repair"’ is closed to new replies.