Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • The Snowdon summer voluntary ban
  • Pook

How did it come about? Do you still get a lot of people on the hill pre 10 and after 5 over the summer months?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Because MTB's screeming downwards and 000's of walkers walking up the same track do not make for a happy day out.

Junkyard
    Free Member

with the voluntary ban are you ok going up hill before 5 given it is mainly a carry/hike for mortals or is it a dont set out before 5?

ampthill

Pook do you meam walkers or cyclists?

Milkie
    Free Member

How did it come about?

Idiot walkers & idiot MTB'ers I believe.

I think there was an incident where MTB'ers came flying down, pushing for the 10 mins or whatever it is; a bunch of walkers decided to block the MTB'ers path, swerved round them, massive accident involving MTB'ers & some poor inocent walkers walking behind.

Pook

cyclists. Thinking of a summer trip

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

its voulentary, you can ride it at miday if you like. But the result would be the upping of the current situation to a total ban.

So yes you can go up before 5, but they count the number of wheels on the track at various points, so unless your bike is carbon framed and carbon wheeled it will still count as one more nail in the access coffin whether your pushing or riding.

Milkie
    Free Member

cyclists. Thinking of a summer trip

Wait for next months STW mag, I think they have a route guide..

No I don't work for STW!

I want to get to the sumit for sunrise, and be down by 10am.

Pook

So yes you can go up before 5,

I said before 10, and after 5. I wasn't considering breaking the ban at all.

bobbyspangles

last time i rode it (llanberry track) we pushed up at, starting at 4:30 and even then there was a 'helpful' ranger who informed us that the ban was in place.
    its a great descent though and worth the effort, at least once in your riding life.

chakaping
    Free Member

How long does it take to get up and down for average riders?

BigJohn

Average riders can't get up or down.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Are you still planning it for the one weekend in the whole of the year I can't attend? 🙄 😉

Pook

no. But we may have to miss HtN…..

robdob
    Free Member

I'm planning to go up in June as well, as I'm on holiday in the area. WOuld like to know how long it will take me up the Llanberis path – I walked the ranger path a couple of years ago and IIRC it took 3.5 hours (can't really remember though). I was hoping to start at 5pm and be back down for 9pm when it'd still be light.
    Any suggestions?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I walked up it last week with the Mrs and Dogs, and didn't go for it, and it took just under 2hrs..

Its bloody steep in places…But looks to be great fun.

Saw a few of here about to head back down..

mafiafish
    Free Member

Does the ban cover pushing the bike up or riding the bike up and dismounting around non-believers? Surely being considerate, verging on obsequious to others means they're unlikely to do/say anything?

robdob
    Free Member

I walked up it last week with the Mrs and Dogs, and didn't go for it, and it took just under 2hrs..

Was that from Llanberis to the summit? Seems pretty good, I am sure you could ride bits of it on the way up to reduce the time a smidge.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

non-believers

😀

robdob
    Free Member

Does the ban cover pushing the bike up or riding the bike up and dismounting around non-believers? Surely being considerate, verging on obsequious to others means they're unlikely to do/say anything?

I think it's beyond that now IMHO. Stick to the rules and there won't be any aggro for anyone. You only want to go up on a nice day and early morning or evening is the best time anyway. No point in trying to ride down a very busy walkers path, its a bit pointless.

I am sure some retard will ignore the ban one day and make it a total ban, therefore spoiling it for everyone.

Its a sensible rule and it isn't a big deal sticking to it. When I walked up there was no way you would have been able to ride down without having to slow to a crawl every few seconds.

scruff
    Free Member

Snakebite went full pelt into a woman walker on the scree bit near that bridge halfway up. What a tw4t 😳

slowrider
    Free Member

teetosugars, that was probably me and my old man. it took us less than an hour and a half to get up to the summit. we only rode the bits that wouldnt have knackered us for the way down and we stopped for a sarnie 3/4 of the way up too. its a pretty gentle gradient other than the very start on the road, a section of steppy rocks just after half way, then another steep section just after you go under the railway for the last time. well worth it though.

we were pre-ban this time but last year we went mid-may, arrived at the start of the bridleway at 4:50 and met a ranger. he started to tell us off because it was before 5 but when i asked him if we were allowed to push our bikes up before 5 he said yes. we were grateful for the excuse.

even outside the ban ive never managed to blag my way on to the train though, try it very time!

backhander
    Free Member

I saw some bikes up there in the middle of last september. About midday. They were gone when I came out of the cafe 30 mins later. ****.

BermBandit
    Free Member

For normal mortals walking up the Llanberis path with bike and riding when you can is a 2 – 2 1/2 hour enterprise. there wil be some either side of that who are uber fit or uber fat, but reckon on that and you won't be far out. I last did it in November, on a pretty foul day, and even there there were too many walkers to make it an entirely pleasant descent. So I personally I would be inclined to keep well outside the times simply to make the experience better for yourself.

As far as down is concerned, it took me 20minutes including a stop at halfway house, one largish off, and a very emabressing gear cable hooked up on gorse bush moment at the top of a steep bit. (Rapid deceleration ending with me still clipped in hanging over the front wondering what had happened)

hora
    Free Member

even outside the ban ive never managed to blag my way on to the train though, try it very time!

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-BOD-BAG.htm

I've got one of these that I used to take my bike onto the underground in. Once at Victoria I folded it up and packed it away in my camelbak. Sorted.

hora
    Free Member

I can see why the ban is needed though. We can only see our own conduct. I bet the Rangers have seen/dealt with alot of near misses, complaints and the very real risk of a death to a walker or rider.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

So is it up Llanberis and down Ranger?

robdob
    Free Member

+1 Hora

…plus that bag is utter GENIUS!!!

Apart from the uber-expensive cost of the Snowdon Railway, it's a perfect plan.

hora
    Free Member

It meant I could get across the whole of London to Victoria Station on the tube from my house rather than the 5/6mile ride each way then train then long ride off road when I lived in London!

rOcKeTdOg

how about putting a bike into a flight bag, going up on the train and assemble it at the top, then 5 pm exactly start downhill?

edit: i never read what Hora posts

Teetosugars
    Free Member

robdob – Member

Was that from Llanberis to the summit? Seems pretty good, I am sure you could ride bits of it on the way up to reduce the time a smidge.

Yeah, It was…

I used to be pretty fit in my old job of walking up and down The Brecon Beacons… 😉

slowrider – Member
    teetosugars, that was probably me and my old man

It was on the 16th April..

There where 3 Guys- one on an older G-spot, 1 Chumba, and I can't remeber what the last one was.. 😳

slowrider
    Free Member

ourkidsam, yep thats the best route of the three options. take a couple of spare tubes though, the last trail back down to llanberis is so easy to pinch flat on if you miss time hopping the water bars.

2-2 1/2 is probably a fair estimate in bad conditions. last week it was clear, warm and pretty still which made it sooo much easier. couldnt believe the difference! as anyone from the peaks pootle posse will verify, im no mountain goat but 1 1/2 hrs was comfortable though we did keep moving.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Its about £30 on the train!!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes up Llanberis down the Rangers. Stop before the zig zags at the bottom and up and over the steep hill to descend on other path to get back to Llanberis. I agree with the riding outside these times but I agree on 2 + hours for mortals up so it would be a rush to leave at 5 to get back in day light IMHO for most of summer

hora
    Free Member

Its about £30 on the train!!!

Clucking bells.

edit: i never read what Hora posts

and you think I read my own posts? 😉

robdob
    Free Member

anyone from the peaks pootle posse will verify, im no mountain goat but

Don't try to take my crown away from me, I'M the slowest rider on the Peaks Pootles…. 😉

BUT I have been doing some secret training, lost 9lbs in weight…..

hora
    Free Member

I'm still on the last Peaks Pootle.

Pook

I'm off out again looking for stragglers.

£14 one way ticket on the Snowdon train tractor pushing a box

robdob
    Free Member

I'm still on the first one. 🙂

slowrider
    Free Member

wasnt me then, didnt see anyone else on a bike all week!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘The Snowdon summer voluntary ban’ is closed to new replies.