Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The smiling affliction
  • iDave
    Free Member

what has changed people (mainly women) so that they can no longer smile in the traditional sense, but have to form some Gromitt like abomination, showing all their teeth and gums like a bloody race horse? Are posh spice and Cherie Blair so influential? It’s upsetting to say the least.

McHamish
    Free Member

Are people just grimacing at you instead of smiling?

maxray
    Free Member

Sounds like they are trying to fake a smile at you, you must need to try harder 😉

iDave
    Free Member

They’re not (all) doing it at me. At cameras mainly. Caught my daughter doing it and had to chain her up in the cellar until she learns.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Chained in a cellar you say…

dooosuk
    Free Member

My GF has the opposite problem when smiling. She won’t show any teeth at all.

Jamie
    Free Member

Caught my daughter doing it and had to chain her up in the cellar until she learns.

You are Joseph Fritzl and I claim my £5*

*Too soon?

thepurist

According to Hess & Kleck, 1990, people pull different expressions depending on whether they’re just told to smile, or to make an expression that would make observers think they’re actually happy. So in short s’lebs who gurn rather than smile tend to just use the zygomaticus major to do the lip corner stuff rather than using the orbicularis oculi too.

Sandwich

iDave I need a new cellar. When can you build it for me?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

By mouthing the word ‘Bread’ you set your mouth position into that of a natural smile. 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

Jamie, paypal OK for that fiver?

McHamish
    Free Member

While they’re asleep draw permanent smiles on their faces…that’ll learn them.

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie, paypal OK for that fiver?

As always, yes.

wooobob

My sister told me that ‘celebs’ and the like are trained to smile as if they were taking a bite from an apple without allowing their lips to touch it, in order to give that full beam Hollywood smile and show off the glitzy teeth.

On the odd occasion I’ve tried it for photos, the results have not been quite as successful.

I now tend to go for the Posh Spice press-you-lips-together-and-flare-your-nostrils, as it’s easier to pull off quickly (with a little practice) and less likely to scare children.

iDave
    Free Member

psychle
    Free Member

What kills me is how they can hold that smile and talk at the same time??

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘The smiling affliction’ is closed to new replies.