Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The shipping forecast…
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Does anyone else find this strangely hypnotic? I am a proper land lubber but I just cannot fall asleep these days without having first listened to the shipping forecast? It’s addictive I tell you!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Does anyone else find this strangely hypnotic?

Yup. And I find it also strangely reassuring when I’m abroad and far away from Blighty.

loddrik
    Free Member

If I didn’t think musical ringtones are ponsey I swear I’d have Sailing By as mine.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Just for you loddrik :

I found it quite emotional ……. 😥

loddrik
    Free Member

🙂

tails
    Free Member
    Spongebob
    Free Member

Do they still play that old music with it?

LycraLout
    Free Member

funny, but as a sailor and sea kayakist who regularly listens to (and understands) the shipping forecast, i don’t get all misty eyed over it. it’s just another brilliant thing the bbc does that doesn’t get the recognition it deserves.

skidartist
    Free Member

Its a fabulous poem, all the bits of britain saying good night to each other. Like the end of the Waltons, but with a better theme tune.

j_me
    Free Member

you might like this old track then….
    click me!

allthepies
    Free Member

I wake up to it each morning as that’s when my radio/alarm kicks in 🙂

theotherjonv

is it just me that needs to interject extra words or phrases into the forecast.

eg: Forth, Tyne, Dogger ^Style!^……

Fisher, German ^Helmet!^…….

and my favourite (due to obscurity factor)

North Utsire, South Utsire, ^in the midst of life we are in debt, utsire^ – must be done in a Morrissey voice.

Just me then.. 😳

skidartist
    Free Member

definitely

singletrackmind

I listen on my way to work . If the inshore waters forcast is good I get a wriggle on and can often bunk off at 3pm. This means a high speed dash home in around 40 mins , closely follwed by a frantic rigging session on the beach in front of my flat . I can normally be on the water 1 hour after leaving work, and catch the sea breeze for an afternoon blast.
    Do find it very informative and coupled with Windguru an excellant aid to getting the most out of a sometimes fustrating sport.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

A mate’s mum used to read it!

Essential listening for me being a surfer and boaty type.

wwaswas

Just tried to find the Mint Sauce shipping forecast, but failed.

agree – somethign strangely comforting about Sailing By and the shipping forecast

bassspine
    Free Member

If you love the shipping forecast, I highly recommend this book

BigJohn

I’m usually Lundy, Irish Sea.

And by the time it’s worked it’s way round to there, I’m so mesmerised that I can’t remember the details of what they’ve said.

“..what..did he say backing or veering…was it 4, maybe 5 later?”

My Mom used to tell me the coastal stations report was about cakes. “good – some icing” I still can’t get that thought out of my head when I hear it over 50 years later.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Reminds me of listening to End the Week on R4 as a teenager.

Sadly though it’s an old age thing, as my elderly mother can’t sleep until she has listened to the shipping forecast, plus most of the radio programmes during the night.

Junkyard
    Free Member

amases me how many times i have heard it an dhow few of the places i can name…..agree with ernie reminds me of blighty

mcmoonter
    Free Member

+1 for Attention all Shipping, great book

Houns

Another fan here

mefty
    Free Member

Don’t hear it as often as I used to as I listen to Test Match Special on digital now – what more quintessentially British juxtaposition could there be.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘The shipping forecast…’ is closed to new replies.