Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The Scale of the universe (2)
  • organic355
    Free Member

Like woah Dude!!

http://htwins.net/scale2/

samuri
    Free Member

impressive and certainly shows us how insignificant we are.

MSP

It’s good, but it made me want to strangle a choir!

Kryton57

What males anyone think the universe has a size? I mean, whats stopping it / the walls of the universe? Why couldn’t it be infinate?

Harry_the_Spider

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSnJl7B_TVs[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

“Space,” it says, “is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to space

yunki
    Free Member

without doubt the only important thing in that (at least of any significance to STW) is Russell’s Teapot

Cougar

There are few threads that can’t be improved with a good Douglas Adams quote.

(That’s two today, good work)

plop_pants
    Free Member

As the sky at night is mainly black, space can’t be infinite, otherwise it would be all starry white due to the infinite number of stars.

Cougar

There are few threads that can’t be depreciated with a good idiot.

ahwiles
    Free Member

What males anyone think the universe has a size? I mean, whats stopping it / the walls of the universe? Why couldn’t it be infinate?

it’s been expanding at a finite speed for a finite time, therefore it’s size is finite.

still really really big though…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

As the sky at night is mainly black, space can’t be infinite, otherwise it would be all starry white due to the infinite number of stars.

What if that light hasnt got here yet?

RobHilton
    Free Member

plop_pants – Member

Only if it had existed for ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever. Amen.

CountZero

Just because the container’s infinite, the stars it contains only make up a small percentage of its entire mass. Dark matter, anyone?

funkynick

Well, actually it is… okay, it’s not starry white and there aren’t an infinite number of planets, but the ‘light’ from the big bang/stars is there all across the sky. It’s just that this light is from so long ago, and we are accelerating that the light has been doppler shifted back into the far infra-red part of the spectrum. This light can be detected, and is known as the Cosmic Background radiation, and it’s essentially constant in whichever direction you look.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

There is no container. The size of the universe is finite but growing all the time. Growing in the sense that the space between the galaxies is, on average, getting bigger. Beyond the finite universe there is nothing; there is no space; there is no beyond.

brakes
    Free Member

Gomez’s hamburger was a highlight for me

bonj
    Free Member

Not necessarily, because less bright stars are in the way of, and block the light from, brighter ones further away. 😛

seosamh77
    Free Member

Beyond the finite universe there is nothing; there is no space; there is no beyond.

That’s something I can’t grasp, there must be something. My personal preference is that there an infinite number of other universes beyond.

Squidlord
    Free Member

I was once lucky enough to have a 5″ telescope to play with one clear night. Not sure I’d agree with “mostly black”. The amount of stars I could see was staggering. Many, many, many times more than you can see with the naked eye.

I wish everyone had the opportunity to do this – it’s quite breathtaking.

(This proves nothing about the size of the universe, of course).

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

So – what is the universe expanding into?

peterfile
    Free Member

Whatever is the cool niche.

29ertrackuniverse seems to be hot right now.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What is the universe rotating round ? That must be one big ‘something’.

Are there any other universes also rotating round it ?

And is there any chance that our universe might collide with another universe ?

I think we should be told.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Good questions there earnie, suppose it might be plausible that if there are universes then there is also the possibility the the might behave like atoms, planets, solar systems etc that they do orbit something. Or it could just be a completely different set of physics.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Not sure the universe is supposed to be rotating around anything? But

could just be a completely different set of physics.

Someone more knowledgeable will be along in a minute I expect, but as I understand it, our current laws of physics don’t work well at very very very small scales. So perhaps the same might be true at very very very large scales?

And here’s an idea – imagine another universe made entirely of particles that do not interact with the particles our universe is made of. It could be sharing the same space with us, and we’d never know.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

here is also the possibility the the might behave like atoms

I see, our universe might be like a an electron whizzing round a nucleus.

I’m getting the distinct impression that there might be something very big out there.

And it would be nice to get to the bottom of it ….. I would really like to know if our universe is just a bit of an atom which is a fragment of a molecule of something bigger which a small part of something else.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Not sure the universe is supposed to be rotating around anything?

Surely it makes sense that if it’s rotating then it is probably rotating round something else ?

Our Universe rotates around its ‘axis of evil’

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It isn’t expanding into anything. There is nothing to expand into. In the universe we can measure the distance between two galaxies. And over time we can measure a greater distance – space between the galaxies is growing.

Look at this amazing gravitation lensing image. All the weird looking stuff in rings is a galaxy behind the cluster in the middle. The cluster lenses the light from the concealed galaxy so we see it encircling the cluster and repeated multiple times.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

buzz-lightyear – Member

It isn’t expanding into anything. There is nothing to expand into.

So what’s beyond infinity then ?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘The Scale of the universe (2)’ is closed to new replies.