Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • The Saturday night trail name thread!
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

We've all got 'em. Local trails, with names known only to the groups you ride with. So, let's have a few of them…

On Wombledon Common, we have the lovely climb, Slippery Sex Aid (Named by a lass known as Dildo. It's a long story!)

In the Surrey Hills, there's a section known to us as Welcome to the Jungle (Hidden below Summer Lightning)

Salisbury Plain has the Lift Shaft, on Sidbury. Straight down, and straight back up again. Fast.

Also on Wombledon, there's Foxy Chavalicious. Smashing section!

So, let's hear some of yours!

rOcKeTdOg

the Lickey hills has "rocket's back passage" and "the split penis" trail

sc-xc

From my commute:

[list]The Birmingham Road
    Burnt Tree Island
    Pensnett High Street[/list]

I'm a lucky fella 😉

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

We named one particular drop on one of our regular rides as 'Tarzan' last week. This was in honour of the noise that one of our party made when he didn't succesfully navigate it!

mattymer
    Free Member

Leigh Woods, Bristol has – Springtime for Hitler, Squirrels Breakfast, Endor, Ho-Chi-Min and 7 Boot Trail.

nbt

Today's ride was Cheeky woods (nailed the exit, second go) to the canal, Roman Bridge, climb Shielan, through the sandy track, Hague drop (nailed first time), Nields way, zig zags, back up to Black Lane, some playing in the quarry behind Mellor Cross, then off the front of the cross and down The Banks. The Banks are in great shape, it’s all frozen solid so it’s running like lightning! Ben had to shoot off home at that point, so the rest of us took the cheeky path up the side of the golf course (ok, we need a better name for that one) and rode The Banks again, then off down Linnet’s Clough, at the first bend I took the bike up to the singletrack, rode the top exit as Jane had done on her skills course to see what it was like as it had never occurred ot me to do that, then down to the bottom, riding the exit twice to show Jane and Gareth the line to take.

Jane, Iain and Gareth went back at that point and Martyn and I went out for another little loop – up Shielan again, over to the Fox, cheeky pint (mmm, that new Dragon Fire is a lovely pint!) then down Green Lane to Strines station (over the new cheeky car park exit), along to Capri farm, up to Shielan and back down it (riding after beer rocks, I’ve never ridden that trail so fast!) and home for a snooze. Brill day.

"Our" trail names in bold, proper names off the map in italics.

jordie
    Free Member

Our local trail is now called "Dirty Den" as even mud tyres are struggling to get up to the top due to the mud.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

A favourite local trail I seem indisputably to have named: Heart Bypass

Nearby, Slot Cars has a double life as Scalextric
    And no-one can agree if Christmas Trees is actually Santa's Grotto.

These names closely reflect the character of the trail, which seems the most important thing.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

one of our regular night rides ends with a rocky drovers road called "The babies head" as every rock on it is as described the size of " t b h"

Gary_C

On a local nightride,we can do 'Phoebe's Trail',or turn left and do 'Heaven & Hell' into 'Sidewinder',& finish off with'Woodys Downhill'.
    There's a new trail that we instigated but I can't remember if its called 'Dark when Light',or 'Slippy When Wet'.

Can't mention where they are tho,(local trails for local people)….

😉

Who_else
    Free Member

Jesus trail to jesus house.

nbt

I know where the jesus trail is, dunno about jesus house though 😉

singlespeedstu

To the OP.

Aren't all your local trails called "flat boring and not that local"?

🙄 😉

jimthesaint

There's a good trail near me called 'Keegans Run' because the perm meister himself owned the house at the bottom.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stu, Wombledon and Surrey Hills local to London, the Plain local to, well, the Plain! 😉

It's all fun, though!

slowrider
    Free Member

high five, hang ten, shakey stevens sh1t streak creak, chocolate fudge, the nadge,the log run, string him up, north lawn, cowpat hill, dog sh1t alley…theres loads more but cant think of any right now.

singlespeedstu

It's all fun, though!

Maybe I'd need a long travel bike to ride trails as technical as those. 😉
    How many of these "local" trails are straight out your door though…

Oh and I bet you don't have a "dirt alley" Even a hardcore bummer like Barry Bethel almost spewed when he saw what went on up there.

hairyscary

A couple of trails built by myself and Betsie (ex of this forum).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jocarda1/sets/72157604884147965/

Both trails are very short so are named 'Gone in sixty seconds' and 'One minute wonder'.

This bit took about 20 hours to build and rides for a few seconds 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How many of these "local" trails are straight out your door though…

Blah, blah, blah. None, actually. But then do you have the National Gallery on your doorstep? Nope. Well, I do. 😉 Some people live in cities, you know. They're great. Some of those people love to go ride as well, good isn't it?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pre-trail-centre Glentress had "Bed of Nails" and "The Pipe" among others.

Ha! I know this and you don't!

I rode them and you didn't! 😡

singlespeedstu

But then do you have the National Gallery on your doorstep

Hell no.

And thank **** for that. It'd attract "city types" to the area blocking up the streets with their 4×4's. 8)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I tend to walk or ride to the National, Stu. Nice ride up a local trail I know as Whitehall. 😉

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Well, we have:
    Haribo hill- where we stop and eat haribo jelly babies.
    X-ray,
    Bill- a skeleton on one of the trails
    View rock- the viewpoint (on a rock) above a descent.
    camels back- a descent over rocks with two small humps
    the widowmaker- a sharp climb lasting a minute.
    Tesco tumble- a tricky downhill where local tesco manager fell.
    water splash- dont have to explain this?
    whales back- a rock with a ridge to it, looks like a- you guessed it.

there are more.

singlespeedstu

You stick to your tarmac trails that need an allmountainfreemincebike* and I'll stick to my my local trails that i can ride on a rigidsinglespeed*1.

*MBUK must have bike.

*1 Jaded seen it all before bike.

🙄 😉

4ndyB
    Free Member

Elephant Shitbath, a very muddy section.

Tunnel of Doom, a steep rocky chute overgrown with trees.

Jim shaped hole, a section of trail that was used on a commute by Jim, who slightly widened a gaps in the bushes to aid his commute.

Gordymac
    Free Member

Sticky treacle No explanation needed
    Stella Bottle top on the ground on entry
    Fridge Dumped fridge with "Jesus lives written on it"
    Oil drum run Oil drums on entry
    Mondeo ridge Burnt out mondeo on the trail
    819 Scene of an expensive tubeless rim ding
    Harry potter Filmed in the gorge
    Pink floyyd Runs beside a wall

sc-xc

Oh and I bet you don't have a "dirt alley" Even a hardcore bummer like Barry Bethel almost spewed when he saw what went on up there.

[vietnam]
    you weren't there, man…you weren't there
    [/vietnam]

To think he sucked his dad off kissed his mum with that mouth

takisawa2

On Cannock Chase we have…
    The Beard, The Moustache, Route 66, The Chatsworth, Turtons Knob, but the best is "Petra's Gash".

singlespeedstu

Barry.

That wasn't his dad he was sucking off…

Bet you've still got that one in your wankbank though. 😯

jedi

i rode a trail in canada called lick her sore! 🙂

meehaja
    Free Member

"signs and graffics" is my favourite bit of single track at the moment. So called due to the number of random woodland signs advertising a signs and graffics company. I also like rollercoaster for obvious reasons.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

looks good haryscary

Tesco tumble – lovin' it!

rp16v
    Free Member

bristols garlic valley is a real killer when wet
    just dont fall left!

beerbelly
    Free Member

Last wednesday started with the 50 50 trail then pet cemetary up to forseter's woods roman road up pig shit field down condom alley down stu's descent then back via the cobbldey path 🙂 was ace

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

grahams birthday trail (was primed for a birthday ride)

the jumps

that corner you drift on

bridge of death (a 2 plank wide bridge over a burn – 90 degree left hander through a hedge goes straight onto it, so always a bit nervy and slow speed)

down past the oak trees

grassy field

steep climb

the one to the carpark

denhead (actually nowhere near denhead)

along the kinnesburn

so yeah, imaginative names eh!! thing is though that one could describe a good 2 and a half hour ride with them.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Wizard's Cuff!

Euro
    Free Member

Jim shaped hole

Quality!

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

on the doorsteps we have:

death valley
    staggered steps
    hitchcock (causes vertigo – it's really narrow and perched right on the edge of the hill!)
    oak apple

and in Brum – tesco value run (really is like a 'value' version of a bike trail)

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘The Saturday night trail name thread!’ is closed to new replies.