Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • The reasons schools shut is?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Not a moan or rant, but I assume there is a reason schools shut when it snows.
    As every workplace in sight around here has a full compliment of staff it can't be the problem of getting in.
    Is it some H&S reason.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Temperature? In the building I mean.

Jamie
    Free Member

I think extra care has to be taken when their are kids are involved.

Plus teachers are all workshy fops who are not happy with the 3 months off a year they get anyways 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

When I was a kid our school didn't close once, even in the worst of the snow. Now they close it at the merest hint of snow.

andywarner
    Free Member

As a workshy fop I think it's fair to say that schools generally shut because SNOW IS FUN and kids should be out playing in it. I was devastated at half 7 this morning when I found mhy school wasn't closing – was all set for making snowmen with my baby daughter.

ourmaninthenorth

It's only state schools that shut. Publc schools carry on – you can't close down a school when the kids are already there..!

Though we did have the longest running snowball fights at school as a result of being there all the time… 😀

vinnyeh

Nice one andywarner. That's my sort of attitude. 😆 at the grumpy old men

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I used to bunk off school if there was snow anyway so it didn't bother me if it was open 🙂

NJA

My wife had to make the decision this morning it really is quite complex:

You have to decide by 6.30am as you have to let the school buss companies know whether to do the pick ups or not.

You have to have an eye on the Weather forecast – not just if the pupils can get in safely in the morning but the likelyhood of getting them home safely in the evening.

You have to guess how many teachers and support staff will make it (more than you think – they are not all slackers) into work and how many children. Then you work out if this is a safe ratio of pupils to teachers.

Then you make a judgement call on how likely it is that the pupils at home will be home alone and potentially unsafe.

Then you check if the heating is working.

Then you make the decision.

My wife is not the head of the school but she makes the decision jointly with the facilities manager (caretaker) as she is normally the first person to arrive on the premises each day.

My Wife is the ———

Catering Manager!! (Not – I repeat NOT a Dinner Lady).

uplink
    Free Member

so the cook & the caretaker maker the decision? 😉

mudshark
    Free Member

How do the schools let the parents now that the school is closed?

I went to 4 schools and none were ever closed – 3 were fee paying if that's relevant?!

NJA

Yes – and this morning, the last day of term, the last working day before christmas, with three inches of pure white snow ready for hundreds of excited children to play in it they decided that the school was

OPEN!!!

andywarner
    Free Member

they put it out on the radio and send emails and texts to all those whose relevant details they have.

NJA

The message goes out on local radio – you have to give them a special codeword – a bit like when the IRA used to give warnings of bombs.

druidh
    Free Member

I don't understand this "check the heating" thing. Just because there's snow, that doesn't make it the coldest day of the year. If your kids aren't at school and both parents work, who is supposed to be looking after them?

jon1973
    Free Member

You have to have an eye on the Weather forecast – not just if the pupils can get in safely in the morning but the likelyhood of getting them home safely in the evening.

You have to guess how many teachers and support staff will make it (more than you think – they are not all slackers) into work and how many children. Then you work out if this is a safe ratio of pupils to teachers.

Then you make a judgement call on how likely it is that the pupils at home will be home alone and potentially unsafe.

Then you check if the heating is working.

Surely you could write an Excel spreadsheet that would do all that for you? 😀

andywarner
    Free Member

SNOW DAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😀

goon
    Free Member

I was devastated at half 7 this morning when I found my school wasn't closing

Don't take this personally, but the use of this word is really starting to grate here. Just how could you describe your feelings if something really bad happened. Or are we all living on a plateau of devastated feelings?

andywarner
    Free Member

Yes goon i was fully DEVO'D mate. DEVASTATED DEVASTATED DEVASTATED! As you probably know my friend language meaning and nuance changes over time. If not we'd all be communicating through grunts and bodily gestures. "Devastated" does not have the same gravity as it did 10 years ago. If you spoke to a Victorian about intercourse in front of a microwave they'd think you were referring to a conversation you had on a quiet beach Language is a fluid and constantly changing "thing" 😀

Cooroo
    Free Member

I think teachers like to live at a reasonable distance from the school where they teach, just so they can get a break from the kids! So while most kids can get themselves to my daughter's school on foot, the staff may have problems. Especially as the roads jam up with people driving like idiots. So you get a school-full of kids and hardly anyone to control them….

That said, her school isn't closed today, but not too DEVASTATED as is last day of term!

headfirst
    Free Member

I'm sat here at my teacher's desk. looking out at big snowflakes falling. I'm beyond devastated…

andywarner
    Free Member

what headfirst said

13thfloormonk

Surpirsed no-one else has posted this yet, is linking the Dailymash getting passe?

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/angry-parents-forced-to-spend-six-hours-tobogganing-200902041556/

oldgit
    Free Member

The heating thing is well past its sell by date, it's cold all winter.
    Teachers and pupils have a responsibility to get to school. I can understand some issues with teachers living some distance away, but don't the kids live nearby i.e catchment areas.
    I have no facts, but it seems like the schools are affraid of something, and my fear is that it's of litigation?

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

Pah, didn't get snow days. As kids, if there was heavy rain at night we'd pray we'd get a Black Rainstorm Warning or a Typhoon 8 in the morning and not have to go to school. Not as fun staying indoors all day but at least it wasn't bloody freezing like in this country!

ji
    Free Member

When I was a kid, we used to get a bus into town for school. Schools never closed for snow then either…until one year when all the kids from out of town were stuck at school as the buses couldn't get through. We all had to spend the night with friends or teachers (can you imagine the risk assessments that would require now?)

Since then, they shut the schools at the first sight of snow.

grunty
    Free Member

nothing to do with the last day of term?

Lazy feckkers!

miketually
    Free Member

As said above, you have to know that you'll have enough staff to cover the minimum staff_pupil ratio. You have to know that the kids will be able to get home as well as get to school. You have to make that decision very early.

If your kids aren't at school and both parents work, who is supposed to be looking after them?

You? What with them being your kids and all?

Too_Punk_To_Funk
    Free Member

Lazy feckkers!

You're just jealous 😉

metalheart
    Free Member

Here are some reasons:

a) Bad weather: too many people who can't drive their 4×4's are definitely a H&S risk to children… In a rural area its difficult call.
    b) Heating not working (coz the janny forgot to order the oil… genuine that one)
    c) no water. thats closed a couple of schools round these parts in the last month or two.

I'm also pretty sure that when I were t'lad a young feller down the way who lived 1/2 mile up a farm track from the main road (i.e. the bus drop off point) didn't make it home through the snow and was found frozen to death 250 yards from his house. The worst can happen…

metalheart
    Free Member

+1 for miketually (lol)

mamadirt
    Free Member

So the staff can go out and play on their bikes 😛

bangaio
    Free Member

Workshy fop here. My school is open, every other secondary in the borough is closed. Why? Who knows. I live 25 miles away and after taking an hour to get 4 miles gave up and am sat at home with hot chocolate. By the time i'd have got in the day would be finished (end of term assembly at 11) and that would be it.

Most of the time for us the school shuts because of staff travel problems. We have no buses, most kids are local and walk but staff often live up to 30+ miles away which makes things different. No way I'm living even close to the catchment!

At the end of the day it's the head's decision alone.

grunty
    Free Member

You're just jealous

Extremely!

Bimbler
    Free Member

Last day of term – my kids were gutted they couldn't give their cards or homemade fudge to the teachers. Sad scenes.

Too_Punk_To_Funk
    Free Member

Have we done the "What tyres for a workshy teacher who gets to play in the snow all day?" bit yet??? I might be interested 😉

nickc

It's the heads decision, as chair of govs mine let's me in on the proccess out of curtesy. Oldgit, not once did we think about litigation. I tend to think the h&s card is a media invention rather than a real world worry

VanHalen

my wifes school is shut as few teachers can get to school – the head having to abandon his car last night after a 6th form evening may have had an influence.

my daugghters is open but only in the creche form – most teachers are very local.

teachers love snow days.

Sandwich

Posties in my bit of Ipswich decided to go home at 8:30, thinking that H&S had given them a free day. RM regard them as owing 5 hours work 🙂
    Us casuals sorted at a high rate and finished all the work on hand before close of play.

Chevin
    Free Member

I thought I read about some councils worrying if someone slips in the playground they could/might sue the council?

It was in a newspaper so it must be true! 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘The reasons schools shut is?’ is closed to new replies.