Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The perils of owning the latest technology
  • brooess
    Free Member

Have an 11-speed setup on my road bike. Done less than 1000 miles and the chain snapped today. It's waffer thin. Popped into a local bike shop to see if they could fix it, really helpful but didn't have the parts or a spare – 11-speed is so new. Train and taxi back home 🙁

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Nightmare.

I think we've reached overkill with gearing.

Did you notice the difference between 10 and 11 speeds before you had to hitch home?

Surely it makes 10 speeds faster if 11 spds means you have to wait for lifts!!!

Its progress I suppose.

pastcaring
    Free Member

couldn't you of just taken the broken links out and rejoined your chain?

brooess
    Free Member

I was told (possibly wrongly) that 11-speed needs a specific chain tool so didn't worry about taking mine with me. I shall be checking that out with the guys I bought the bike from. Another one of the perils!

richpips
    Free Member

My guess is that as the chain is thinner than 9/10 speed then it's going to break more often.
    Maybe the chain tool would be a wise investment.

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

Is 30 gears not enough for you or something? 😉

tonyg2003

Ditch your campag 11s chain (they need a £100 – IIRC campag tool) and get a KMC 11s.Then you can use KMC 11s extra links.

11s to 10s – virtually no performance difference but the new 11s hoods are a bit nicer to hold. Oh and Super Record is super bling.

njee20
    Free Member

The latest Campag offerings are seriously ugly!

11 speed isn't that new, just not really taken on, can't think why…

Dougal
    Free Member

Campag 10speed needs proper joining tool too, most shops don't have one of those to start with.

It's hardly latest technology, it's been available to purchase for two years now. Bad join in the first place?

markenduro
    Free Member

No reason why a thinner chain should be weaker, it's the rivets on the edges which matter, not the width of the rollers.

bassspine
    Free Member

arguably, the rivets are shorter, so 11 speed is stronger…which is harder to break, a short pin or a long one?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘The perils of owning the latest technology’ is closed to new replies.