Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • The Pendle witches
  • hora
    Free Member

Noticed this on yahoo's most haunted today. Anyone experienced anything 'scary' up there on and around the hill in question?!

wors

Anyone experienced anything 'scary' up there on and around the hill in question?!

yeah trying to ride up it from sabden, thats fookin scary.

djglover
    Free Member

visit any of the town centres to the south, that's fookin scary

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

yeah trying to ride up it from sabden, thats fookin scary.

😆 You're not wrong! Lung bustin'!

hora
    Free Member

😆

Harry_the_Spider

Alice Nutter's house in Roughlee used to be a hostel for the scouts years ago. We used to spend halloween up there setting fire to stuff, playing with knives, fighting and being told ghost stories. Happy days.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Try going up there on halloween.. The police put road blocks out..

Drive along the A59 and look up and you'll see the campfires burning..

Harry_the_Spider

Went a couple of years back. The food in the pub in Roughlee was purest evil.

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

Coincidentally, I'm reading The Lancashire Witches by Harrison Ainsworth. Its tough going but I'm fascinated as the descriptions of the local area are very factual.

Went for a walk a few weeks ago in Newchurch In Pendle. There is an 'eye' built into the Church to ward off evil spirits, and in the grave yard is one of the witches graves. There is no name on the stone slab just a carved skull.

These women were tried and executed at Lancaster for witchcraft. If you were to use the same definitions these days you'd have to hang most of the population of Sabden! 😈

enmac
    Free Member

My wife's maiden name was Nutter. She use to live in Barrowford. We do have back cat. Oh dear, is she a witch?

Harry_the_Spider

From memory Nutter copped for it because she was a Catholic and she had land and power.

hora
    Free Member

Im looking for somewhere scary on Halloween etc to take a few people!

Harry_the_Spider

Radcliffe?

domino

I seem to recall learning a song about Lancashire witches when I was at school. We used to go Waddow Hall (edited – google tells me its in Waddington not Waddinton Hall, it was a long time ago) for Brownie camp and we were told ghost stories each night – how not to get a group of 8/9 year old girls to sleep. I don't remember any of them though apart from that Waddow Hall itself is meant to be very haunted.

wors

Radcliffe?

+1

hora
    Free Member

Why Radcliffe?

Harry_the_Spider

He looked at somebody in a "funny way".

Felofagen
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with Radcliffe

derek_starship
    Free Member

[/quote]Nowt wrong with Radcliffe

Paula's okay. The town is dreadful. Village of the damned at best.

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

hora, try this: Simon Entwhistles Ghost Walks

He does them throughout the year, not just at Halloween. But I suppose it will be his busiest time. They are really good he's a fantastic story teller…

snowslave

Obscure fact for Lancastrians. When playing games like tig or whatever in the playground, you could declare "barley" right? Meaning you couldn't be tigged. That's down to the Lancashire Witches legacy – in theory the village of Barley was not hit by the witches curses.

The "witches" were just catholics I think.

Harry_the_Spider

Wow! I remeber "Barleys" in the playground.

The witches were from two rival families. Stupidity, ignorance, a trader having a stroke after a row and secret religion was enough to get 11 of them executed.

binners

Pendle witches do it on a broomstick. Apparently.

Hora – If you're after somewhere scary, try Jacksons Boat. Its meant to be haunted

And lets be honest: what goes on there can't be any more unnatural than what goes on in the bushes by the side of it. If you wanted to terrify people, take them over there and show them what your evenings consist of. You bummer!

higgo
    Free Member

Obscure fact for Lancastrians. When playing games like tig or whatever in the playground, you could declare "barley" right? Meaning you couldn't be tigged. That's down to the Lancashire Witches legacy – in theory the village of Barley was not hit by the witches curses.

I never realised 'Barley' was a Lancastrian thing. We had it when I grew up in Macclesfield, which obviously isn't Lancs but has strong (mill) connections with Lancs. In fact most of the old butchers in Macc still sell 'Legh Toaster' cheese which I'm told results from an influx of Lancastrian mill workers at some point in history. I can tell you from watching my kids play that 'Barley' is still alive and well (and a safe place) in the playground.

hora
    Free Member

binners your confusing haunted with grim!

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Oh yes, I remember "Barley". The witches were either Nutters or Demdikes IIRC. All blown up out of nothing, but superstition, fear and too much adherence to religion caused most of the problems.

Ducking stools could still have a purpose though!

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

is she a witch?

weeeeelll she turned me into a newt ❗

(i got better)

plumber
    Free Member

I remember staying in Alice Nutters house years ago as a cub scout – nothing scary about it as I recall.

Those villages, walks and hills are still my favourite place to be though. Just love the area.

Plum

Harry_the_Spider

I remember staying in Alice Nutters house years ago as a cub scout – nothing scary about it as I recall.

Apart from the warden, George Shaddick, also known as Woodsmoke. Obviously we called him Shagdick or Fag Ash. The fecker made me walk up and down the stairs 50 times after he caught me jumping down them.

Which troop were you in? I was 16th Prestwich.

plumber
    Free Member

10th Nelson – the memories this post has brought back 🙂

snowslave

Yeah they also filmed whistle down the wind round there in Downham. It isn't jesus. It's just a fella. Great part of the world…

rax92f
    Free Member

Langho – we also stayed up at Bowley scout camp regularly

(in fact i visited last year,after i went over the bars and smashed out a tooth on a brilliant bit of single track that skirts round the boundary from whally nab- the kind warden and helpers helped fix me up and get on my way)

Harry_the_Spider

the memories this post has brought back

Too right.

Trudging up the hill to New Church for the Sunday service.

"Wide games" (remember them? 👿 ) on the circular stepping stones.

More trudging up Pendle Hill.

The freezing cold stone floor in the wash house at the back.

2p phone call home from the call box on the road by the stream.

That odd amusement arcade place.

Cross country trudging to the park in Barrowford.

Night trudging in the woods.

Happy days… It's a very nice looking house now.

plumber
    Free Member

Wide games – man I'd forgotten that,

Trudging up Pendle – yep many times, I had a great view of it from my bedroom window as a kid.

We tramped around that area so much as a kid – biking up pasture lane that was almost Everest like to a 8 year old with a single speed bike. It was the first hill I attempted when I first got my single speed inbred and I made it as a 40 year old – I was so pleased as its the first time I'd ever managed it on a bike.

Also camped at Bowley and went to White Hough? camp school. I count myself very lucky to have had the wild and free upbringing I did. Probably the last generation not to have to be driven to school or not allowed to play footy on the street.

Anyone remember the old witches window in New Church – you could put a coin in the slot and the 3 witches inside would wobble about driven by clock work

Plum

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Anyone remember the old witches window in New Church – you could put a coin in the slot and the 3 witches inside would wobble about driven by clock work

Yep, I lived in the next house up the road as a kid.
    Christ that seemed like an evil place to live when you were a kid totally reliant on a bike to get everywhere. (Why did my mum & dad have to buy a house on to of a 1000' hill ?)

…and 30 years later here I am doing just that for enjoyment. Funny old world, ain't it.

Harry_the_Spider

I count myself very lucky to have had the wild and free upbringing I did. Probably the last generation not to have to be driven to school or not allowed to play footy on the street.

You're not wrong. The knife I carried on camp as a 10 year old would get me sent down today!

I once spent an evening tied to a tree at Great Tower because I had acted like an idiot.

rax92f
    Free Member

i've been on top a few times at 12 on new years eve (my dad thought it was a fun place to be – i was about 14 and more interested in trying to get slow dances…………)

was always loads of people up there in stupid gear – we met a gang in full black tie who'd carried a table and chairs up the quick way from barely and where sat having canapes and champagne…………(and it was pi**ing down and blowing a gale) no signs of witches though…….

rax92f
    Free Member

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Peter_Rose_and_Anne_Conlon

for those that went to st augustines in billington (as did I) mr rose is now on facebook asking all and sundry to be friends……

(i hated choir – we even had to practice on sundays which was prime BMX time!)

Jenga
    Free Member

Did a night time fell race one Halloween a few years ago. Final checkpoint was top of Pendle Hill at 5AM. Totally deserted, but lots of evidence of partying the night before. After 40 miles we were to sh*gged to care about witches or anything else.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘The Pendle witches’ is closed to new replies.