Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The Outer Hebrides
  • Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Hello,

I’m off to the Outer Hebrides for a 6 week trip, sadly I can’t take either of my bikes…..
    I’m staying near Benbecula, can anyone recommend any bike hire/routes to take while up there?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Steve

gavstorie
    Free Member
    hebdencyclist
    Free Member

When you say you’re staying “near” Benbecula, are you staying on it? Or on a nearby island, or in the sea? 😉

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Yep been looking on their for a week or so.

hebdencyclist – Member
    When you say you’re staying “near” Benbecula, are you staying on it? Or on a nearby island, or in the sea?

Not sure yet….. way things are going I think were going to row from Cornwall…
    Will either be Benbecula or North Uist.

Cheers, Steve

honeybadgerx

I’ve been out there a few times with work. Only really road riding, plus the odd track here and there to a beach I’d say. Be careful on the roads, they can be a bit crazier than you’d think. Worth trying to do some sea otter spotting.

globalti
    Free Member

Why not ring the changes and do some sailing or kayaking? Or Scottish Coastal Rowing, a new sport that’s really booming at the moment? The boats are things of beauty: http://scottishcoastalrowing.org/

Based on a Viking longship and superbly seaworthy: http://jordanboats.co.uk/JB/stayles.htm

zippykona

Don’t forget to post pictures.

richc
    Free Member

I went there for two weeks last year and tbh mountain biking would be pretty shite as there aren’t any really big hills and the ones that there are don’t have clear path’s over them (not enough people!) and there are a lot of peat bogs, so you would be pushing a lot. Take a look at google maps + street view.

Its good for walking or road biking, and the beaches are amazing. Swimming is an eye opener as the water is a bit cold, also peak temperature is a bit lower, as when I went last June it peaked at 14C on the hottest sunniest day, and was 7 or 8 when the sun went in, and the wind is something to behold.

You would be very very lucky for bike hire of anything decent!

You also need to bear in mind there are very few people on the islands, and everything shuts on Sundays, and I mean everything!

Its a very special place though as I really liked it, but you need to be happy with you own company and not mind a bit of weather; I wouldn’t fancy it in the winter though.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Hmmm looks like I will have to look around and see what I can get involved in.
    Looks like the local shop in open 10-4 on Sundays so can get some supplies in…..

Cheers, Steve

duncancallum

I stayed on benbecula a few years ago.

Go out on the boat trips the wildlife is unbelievable.

I didn’t take my bike n to be fair I don’t think I missed much. However I love the place

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Will load the camera gear rather than the bike gear then….

Cheers, Steve

bigmandh
    Free Member

I cycled the heb way, through the 10 islands, a couple of weeks ago. The road surface on the uist’s and benbecula is awesome, it’s like Majorca. No joke. If you had a road bike you could do some decent long day rides around the islands and over the ferries south and north to Barra and Harris. Also got the ferry to Uig on Skye where you could do some decent rides to Quiraing and down to portree. Whatever you do, bike or not, it is properly stunning. But really great to appreciate on the bike.

highlandman
    Free Member

See Bigman’s post: the inter-island ferries are very cheap for a foot passenger and Calmac do not charge for bikes, making day journeys from a base practical and a lot of fun. But if luggage allowances are tight and you’re up there for a while I’d seriously consider having a bike of your own boxed and couriered up. It’s not as expensive as you might think.

scud
    Free Member

Myself and two others went a few years ago, no real mountain biking, but amazing fat biking! We went out towards the furthest island then made our way back down along the beaches on the fatties bivvying overnight on the beach. Weather was good and you don’t have to worry about midgies, local are great too, some great actual mountain biking as you get back down to Skye and on to main land near Applecross

zippykona

Scud…post some pictures.

scud
    Free Member

Zippykona……… fill your boots

scotroutes

zippykona – here’s one of mine too.

Bivvy in North Uist..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/opiX2y]Dawn. North Uist bivvy.[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Managed to get a hire bike for the 6 weeks from the place we are working at, Merida Big Nine, not done too much as of yet, couple of runs on some Croft tracks on Benbecula, trip over to Skye as well as Harris and Lewis.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KM1mRw]13902819_10153808915608225_116212558966069573_n[/url] by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KM1nfY]13925415_10153808915758225_415357623567142915_n[/url] by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KM1nVq]13900373_10153808916998225_7201524114824750333_n[/url] by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

Cheers, Steve

honeybadgerx

I don’t suppose you’re working on a new school are you? I ask as I may be out there again for a week or so in the next couple of months…

rickmeister

Only really road riding

Fat bike is where it’s at on the outer Hebrides …

boltonjon

I was with Scud on that one – incredible for fatbiking 🙂

[/url]bleak by boltonjon, on Flickr[/img]

boltonjon

[/url]a1 by boltonjon, on Flickr[/img]

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I don’t suppose you’re working on a new school are you? I ask as I may be out there again for a week or so in the next couple of months…

No but if you land at Balivanich you will see us in the middle of the airfield.

Cheers, Steve

Andy

Nice pic that first one Boltonjon 😉 I was there with Bj and Scud. Great place to take a fat bike!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘The Outer Hebrides’ is closed to new replies.