Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The optician can't see you now, Mr Wheel
  • neilthewheel

My optician told me she would be “wasting my time” (ie – wasting her time) to try and do any more to improve my contact lens prescription.
    I agreed to go through a trial as they told me things had changed in recent years and I could keep coming back until they’d got the prescription just right. Now, at the third visit, she’s saying stuff like, “well, that’s what happens with contact lenses” and, “you’re the first failure I’ve had in 12 months”, plus “you’ve had quite a few appointments now”.
    The problem seems to be that my right eye astigmatism falls between two stools – straight down the middle, whereas the prescriptions are only available for + or – 5 degrees.
    So, the result is blurring at both distance and close-up. I found that driving at night resulted in huge halos around car headlights.
    If anyone can advise, my current trial lenses are:
    Left: 8.4/14.4-0.75 -1.75×175 +2.00 N
    Right: 8.4/14.4-0.25 -1.25×015 +2.00 D
    These are Proclear multifocal toric, monthly disposable.
    If anyone can offer any advice on how to go from here, I’d be very grateful.

Cougar

Second opinion?

nealglover
    Free Member

Second opinion?

Ok, you’re ugly as well.

Badum tshhhh 🙂

michaelbowden

try another optician that uses different makes of lenses, I needed to do this and to be fair to my original optician this was his recmendation.

This does leave me needing the most expensive available two weekly lens, but its the only one that has worked.

Sandwich

Surely it’s you can’t see the optician now?

IGMC

lungman

the biggest problem for you is that there is only 1 or 2 manufactures of toric varifocal lenses. The one you have tried is the most successful one.

The problem could be more than one issue, for some the compromise of varifocals does not work even for a more straight forward prescription than yours.

I agree that after 3 tries I would generally give up as you can waste a lot of time chasing the unachieveable.

Have you had sucess with just distance distance vision? if so the next option would be mono vision. The dominant eye is corrected for distance and the non dominant for near this tends to work better with your prescription type but you will loose some binocular vision.

Its always hard to know what to suggest without the full history and seeing you

Best of luck

wwaswas

Bit of a hijack and apologies to the OP.

I have glasses for distance work and am increasingly finding stuff within 2ft of my eyes is clearer without glasses on.

I wondered whether getting contacts for my distance prescription and then using reading glasses when I need to which correct my contacts for close up work.

I’m reluctant to go down the varifocal lens route if ~I can avoid it as I can see it adding cost and making stuff like riding more difficult as the lower half of my vision would be affected all the time.

lungman

If you don’t have a complex prescription varifocal contacts can work but the overall vision is slightly lower than with specs. Otherwise distance contacts with neat specs will give better overall vision but you have to keep taking them off. So you have to look at overall vision verse convenience.

wwaswas

thanks. Will see what optician says – think it’s not so bad I need glasses all the time for near stuff yet so may work for now as I can put specs on when needed at work etc.

Rickos
    Free Member

Did you hear the one about the optician who fell into the lens grinder?

He made a spectacle of himself.

I thank-you…

molgrips
    Free Member

I found that driving at night resulted in huge halos around car headlights.

Surely that’s not down to the prescription?

Northwind

I gave up on torics entirely, and switched to standard lenses- proved much easier to just deal with the astigmatism than to deal with the torics never being perfect.

neilthewheel

Northwind – that seems a reasonable compromise – I suppose I just ditch the bit of the prescription that says 175 and 015?
    Thanks lungman. Since I mainly wanted contacts for cycling, and there’s less map reading to be done these days what with GPS and that, I might compromise by just going for distance correction. How do I interpret my prescription to achieve that?

v8ninety

Ever considered (frickin’) laser beams?

yunki
    Free Member

eye see…

neilthewheel

Ever considered (frickin’) laser beams?

I’d still have to wear reading glasses, I am told. And it’s expensive.
    That pic is grossing me out. Make it go away.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘The optician can't see you now, Mr Wheel’ is closed to new replies.