Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The One Bike Conundrum
  • funkmasterp

I’m after some opinion and advice on the age old ‘One bike to rule them all’ question. My circumstances have changed somewhat over the last year or so and I no longer ride my MTB so much. It’s what’s best described as a aggro steel hardtail. I’m looking to sell it and what I get for it will influence my next purchase.

Basically I’m looking for a bike I can just pick up and ride. Be it road, off road or tow path. From quick blasts to all day rides. I may also be moving site with work soon, so commuting may come in to it. Funds don’t exist for more than one bike. I’ve gone from three to one (like Dusty Bin) in the last two years.

Second hand is the most likely option and budget is anywhere between £600 and £850 depending on what the current bike sells for and if I can put together a bit extra. I’ve been thinking along the lines of Karate Monkey, Vagabond, Stooge. Something that I can stick guards (and maybe panniers on) for commuting, SS for winter and strip back for other duties. Over time I would look to maybe get two wheelsets and maybe two cockpit options if I found something like a KM.

I know this question gets asked a lot, but any input would be appreciated. In true Singletrack fashion I would also be interested in alternatives or pictures of your all rounder bikes. Hopefully in a few years I’ll be able to go back to two / three bikes rather than N-1

Thanks

core

I would say 29er that can take a tapered (suspension) fork and a seat tube that can take a dropper in one of the more common sizes (30.9 or 31.6)

That way you could almost run it as a road bike on skinny tyres or set it up for proper mountain biking.

MoreCashThanDash

A mate has been running a Charge CX bike as his one and only bike for 3-4 years now. Running 40mm CX tyres off road and 30mm road tyres on road/gravel. He actually has two sets of wheels to quickly swap with no faff.

We don’t ride proper trail centres so it works for what we do. He does talk about a proper road bike longingly at times

funkmasterp

Core – That’s what I’ve got now, but it’s heavy and burly. Not great for riding on roads, absolutely great for going like a nutter off road though. Tbh I find myself less in to the crazier stuff the older I get and having a young family also causes me to not ride like a hooligan as much. That’s why the current bike no longer really suits what I do.

MCTD – Never been much in to trail centres, but do go very occasionally. Off road is likely to be natural local trails. Macc Forest, Roman lakes etc. I’d probably end up doing the majority of leisure riding along the canal or the forest at the moment due to limited free time. I miss the peaks. Is it the Plug your friend had?

Definitely not wanting to go full dark side. If I have drops, which I don’t mind, they are likely to be of the woodchipper variety 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

I too would look at a cx / gravel type bike that can take 40mm tyres and set it up with a cx or even micro double to cover gearing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘The One Bike Conundrum’ is closed to new replies.