Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • The old days
  • stevemakin

Who from the first years of Singletrack is still around and riding bikes ?

jedi

me and give steve the fiver

allthepies
    Free Member

moi – was around in GoFar days

stevemakin

I win £5 for that Tony 😉

mtbfix

the first years of Singletrack

When is this?

jedi

heh heh heh

only cos you knew i was about 🙂

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

when you say the first days of singletrack do you mean like the beginning of goats and sh*t makin tracks, the beginning of us off roaders making tracks or the beginning of this magazine?

I presume you mean the mag…. To which I will answer I have always been a buyer of the mag (followed Chipps from MTB Pro and all that IPC gumpf).

Only really become addicated to this forum thing recently.

stevemakin

when I said Singletrack I presumed that most people would realise I meant Singletrack not singletrack

maybe I presume too much

Trimix
    Free Member

Me.

brant
    Free Member

You meant Singletrack not GoFar? Not Topica UK-MTB?

stevemakin

I presume thats what I meant but all these big words have confused me now

as you were….

brant
    Free Member

And I took Chipps for his first (very very shit) ride around Tod, and first beer… (in the Bramsch, with Steve from Shimano, fiver for three pints… a while ago!)

boxelder

Yep, wasting time here since GoFAR days – 1998??

stevemakin

I'm looking at a photo of you, me and Piers right now taken by some bloke or other (who lost his car keys), halloween 2001 I think

boxelder

I'm looking at a photo of you, me and Piers right now taken by some bloke or other (who lost his car keys),

I've heard about these 'car keys' parties……..

miketually
    Free Member

I've been here since GoFar too, and was one of the £10 subscribers. Forever, in internet years.

genesis
    Free Member

But who goes further back to the days of Mountain Bike World?

mamadirt
    Free Member

I think my first post was back in about 2001 asking about the merits of filing the teeth on an 18T cassette sprocket to make them deeper 🙄 for singlespeed use. I think the general consensus was that it was not the best idea (iirc you replied Brant) but hey, my chain never fell off and I still have that sprocket somewhere (I eventually managed to afford a proper one).

Ooooh, Mountain Bike World – I have every issue.

miketually
    Free Member

But who goes further back to the days of Mountain Bike World?

Pfft, newcomer 😉

Who pre-dates MTB Pro?

nasher
    Free Member

just after the go far days for me… so since STW started.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I remember MTB Pro starting up, and Mint Sauce as a single strip in black and white

Eeeeeeeeh, them were the days !!

tidyman
    Free Member

Nemba,Mastiles lane challenge,Bosley ("downhill",dual slalom,trampoline injuries,"skintight" fluo lycra)Jeez,I

g

old!

oldgit
    Free Member

Yep still riding Steve.
    Logged on after a tip off from a Northern bloke who had just got issue one. I think my first copy came down South strapped to the underneath of a Eddie Stobart lorry, I retrieved at the Watford Gap service station during the night.
    Was just thinking about that singlespeed gang you had in the early days, what was it called?

brant
    Free Member

Anyone else do the Quantock Quest? Telford Nationals?

oldgit
    Free Member

Nah I was a roadie back then and you lot were all scum.

Though my fondest memories of mountain biking were (some might say sadly) the Sandwell days. The scene seemed really exciting then, and you gave me some free kit for soloing your Inbred singlespeed.

tidyman
    Free Member

anyone do the bicycle action dirty weekend?I`ve still got the tee shirt,might be worth something..

brant
    Free Member

bicycle action dirty weekend?

In Harrogate?

Yeah – did that.

colnagokid

NEMBA 91 sticker on me toolbox, does that count?

dans160
    Free Member

Ooo, I remember MTB Pro. When did that stop?

rOcKeTdOg

when was the first issue of MBUK?, the lust started then

Christowkid
    Free Member

I remember using the rec.bicyles newsgroups, picking brains of Chipps, Brant, Yer Man Stevenson and a certain Mr. KB once or twice. They were all there!! That was pre MTB-Pro.
    Then I'd send an email using ELM. Can't remember much about it all, but it was pre windows explorere I think….. '92-ish????
    Black screens, white script, little hampster running round inside to power it…. hey ho.
    Now look at us all!!
    ( leans back beside the fire and basks in the warm glow…….)
    zzzzzzz
    Q

dropoff

So moving on from "who remembers" what about 9Feet.com ?

Drac

Remember the newsgroups too and briefly visited Gofar and then joined the Singletrack forum and never left. I'm pleased that Steve Makin left though never liked that lanky mancaurian ****.

Aidan
    Free Member

Oh, yeah, I remember riding the 9feet trail but I don't remember where it was 😐

colnagokid

I did have have the 1st ever issue of mbuk, gave it to some one else on this here forum. If were only talking begining of STW gofar, Im out. sorry was thrashing meself on the roads on a very expensive colnago! (but Im proper retro)

dropoff

9Feet trail was at Afan. now renamed as Penhyd or something ? Was a fantastic opening party though 🙂

andrewy

Slightly OT, but does anyone else remember the grey Muddy Foxs' in the Freewheel catalog, early/mid '80s? I really wanted one but seemed to be alone in that desire in the road club I was in at the time. That, and Richard's Bicycle Book is what started it off for me 😀

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Still got some copies of Maximum Mountainbike every issue seemed to have Guy Kesteven on the cover, did he ever close his mouth? They did a profile of me in their last ever issue. Showed Chipps GK et al around Machynlleth trails for the first time as I specced out the Mach 1,2 and 3 routes as well as showing Dafydd Davis the potential at Nant Yr Arian which got FE off its backside to make those trails, god I'm old but glad to think I've retained my humility.

Big-M
    Free Member

I remember the old MBUK, black and white Mint, ah happy days… (rose tinted specs firmly on)

The days before trail centres, when mountain biking meant, riding up and down mountains.

zaskar
    Free Member

Followed this site since 2002 but been riding and trail building since '82 but glad so many have enjoyed the sport-ti's only cycling 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘The old days’ is closed to new replies.