Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • The Official STW Fat Club ‘thread for discussions on progress, training, dieting
  • marsdenman
    Free Member

etc etc etc…….

marsdenman
    Free Member

Tip No1 – no charge for this one

Eat Less – Move More
    😀

Surfr
    Free Member

What is everyone planning on doing to make this happen then?

I tested the commute to work on my road bike yesterday but without decent lights and hi-vis, I’ll not be trying it at night just yet.

Morning Sausage and roll at work will be axed in favour of cereal before leaving home. Lunchtime sandwiches will no longer contain fatty may based spreads. Additional cereal bars going out the window too. Plenty of water at the desk for those hungry moments.

Turbo trainer set up in conservatory for 45 minute sessions 3 or 4 times a week. Still putting final build touches to mine and the wifes bikes so as soon as they’re done we’ll be out for weekend rides and I’ll try to get to Nant-yr-Arian or Climachx for a early-bird ride once a week too.

Goal: 3 stone loss or a goood chunk thereof, and to be fit and ready for Dyfi Enduro.

Present state: Not been regularly exercising for years, gave up smoking 6 months ago and enjoy the beer far too much once or twice a week.

alwyn
    Free Member

Only eat celery and do lots of endurance running.

Coyote
    Free Member

Plenty of water at the desk for those hungry moments.

Too much water is not necessarily a good thing.

Eat when hungry, drink when thirsty. It is how your body was designed. Programme your brain to match. Ignore fad diets, that is what they are. As said above, eat less – move more. This is diamond advice and often overlooked in favour of “quick fixes”. Your body is programmed to burn fuel and store excess. Unfortunately it also reluctant to let that excess go without a fight. Also ignore so-called *celebrity* diet advice, i.e. Liz Hurley’s cabbage soup nonsense. *Celebrities* are not real people and have little better to do with their lives than binge and then sell miracle weight loss cures to the rest of us mortals. Before you eat, think. If you are honest with yourself then you won’t go far wrong.

Endurimil
    Free Member

Also add the Eddie Mercx methodolgy, Ride lots.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I already move as much as I can and I don’t want to cut the proper food as I need the fuel for all the moving about. I’m just going to stop eating all the cakes, sweets and biscuits that are always on offer around the office! That should make a difference. I just need to stop eating stuff because it’s there.

Someone once said free food contains no calories but it was a lie!

aleigh
    Free Member

if you just cut out the sugar you can’t go wrong! in my experience trying to buy stuff without sugar is near on impossible (apart from foods that contain natural sugars of course) but once you get used to eating this way the weight drops off – and you don’t tend to crave it anymore either which therefore means the cycle of eating crap is broken!

beej

Keep a food diary – the act of having to write down everything you eat makes you consider your choices a little more. Don’t forget the calorific drinks too.

lard
    Free Member

a good free online food diary is at: http://www.thedailyplate.com

It’s a livestrong website and allows you to put in your weight, it calculates how many calories you should eat for your target weight

woffle
    Free Member

I’ve stopped the evening snacks – if I get the munchies then I’ve started having a bowl of cereal instead. We’ve also got a family blanket ban on buying chocolate or crisps – if they’re not in the house then I can’t eat them.

I’m also planning on upping the cycling even more. July last year I started doing 50 miles a week commuting and this has gradually increased – I want to be averaging 100-120 miles in Jan/Feb as well as increasing the intensity. Best thing I bought to help motivate me was a Garmin – I can see the improvement in HR, speed etc and the training functionality gives me tangible target. It wasn’t cheap but I’d recommend one if you’re planning on putting in more miles to try and get fit / lose weight.

So far: in six months, performance wise I’ve gone from 7 (very hilly :wink:) miles in 25+ minutes when I started, to the same 7 miles in 19 minutes. I’ve gone from a 35″ waist to a 31″ and I’ve lost about 2.5 stone.

The aim: I’ve still got a small belly I want to get rid of, I reckon I should be about 12 stone something and a 30″ waist and I’m way off where I want to be fitness wise – ideally I’m aiming to start doing some (semi) competitive cycling in the summer, something I’ve not done for about 10 years…

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Yesterday I went out on my bike for the first time in…. sodding ages! I think it was the Yeti’s first outing in 12 months due to bits having stopped working on it ages ago and not having the motivation to fix it. I managed 4 or 5 rides last year, 2 of which barely count as rides due to the berevity of em.

Wasn’t a long route – about 9 miles I think. Took about an hour to get around as I was getting used to this wobbling and vulnerability of a mountain bike again (my other ride has a big ass engine in it). Loads of fun though, and today I am pretty sore! Going to build up slowly, but the loop I used seems a decent length to build some fitness and loose some lard on, then once I have knocked the rough edges off I shall go out and find some folk to play with on a weekend for a longer but more sociable jaunt.

Beside that going to try and move more towards a low-ish fat, high fibre diet as that worked wonders last time. Will try and keep the booze under control too, but having just moved to a new area I will probably find myself in the pub on occasion to try and get to know some folk. And the beer in the Lakes is divine nectar!

Right – out to walk the dog, then up to Falkirk for the day.

bigsi
    Free Member

Eat less at lunch times.
    Eat more fruit and veg.
    Cycle to work when its not raining, its only 2 miles into work but i will take the long route home.
    Cut out most carbs in the evening.
    Only drink beer/wine at the weekend and as i don’t binge drink anyway i can’t see me drinking more than 3 pints a week.
    Cut out the fatty takeaways, went for a curry and a few beers on Saturday evening and i have put on 4lb’s.
    Start riding a bit more on my own where i can ride at my own pace without the regular breaks so it helps to burn more calories.

miketually
    Free Member

Cycle to work when its not raining

If you ride in when it’s raining too you’ll lose even more weight.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

eat only when hungry works for me!

bigsi
    Free Member

Cycle to work when its not raining

If you ride in when it’s raining too you’ll lose even more weight.

Living on the south coast means it never rains,, well thats what they told me when i moved here 😯

miketually
    Free Member

Living on the south coast means it never rains,, well thats what they told me when i moved here

It never rains here on the tropical side of the Pennines either.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

I have to agree with aleigh…I shall be cutting out sugar and eating plenty of protein, and lots of low GI foods.

Glad you’ve been out on your bike RobS. As for the pub, well, I’m afraid you won’t catch me or MrFC in one ever, oh no! 😉

See you in the Farmers/Rose and Crown on Friday night! 🙂

juan
    Free Member

lost 2 kg only by commuting to work.

Try to go from 3 to 5 meal a day but don’t eat more than one handfull at each time.

Plus swap pies for fruits and proper chocolate

sofatester
    Free Member

Move to Africa. It’s strange, over there they don’t have this problem with weight loss and lack of exersise 😐

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Grazing is my problem, we have a biscuit barrel at work and i’m constantly having biscuits from it.

So that’s stopped. As has milk and sugar in my coffees. I’ll be out on my bike more too. Well, my wifes at the moment until my replacement mech arrives! 🙁

I’m hoping to lose 20ish lbs by the end of the 12 weeks. Hoping to have lost 10 by the beginning of Feb.

takisawa2

Hoping to add swimming into the equation…twice a week, 50 lengths a session. Whatever I do has to be based around family commitments. (1 @ 3yrs & 1 @ 18months = no time spare before 8pm)

Will endeavor to keep up the mid-week night ride(s). If not on the Chase then an “urban” off-road route I’ve cobbled up.

Was commuting on road bike & towing the kids to nursery with the trailer but to be fair to them its too cold, so have agreed with the mrs no commuting with the little ones till Feb. 😥
    Will hopefully strip the road-bike down for a respray now.

As for diet, cereal with dried fruit for breakfast, salad/fruit for lunch & snacks & a SENSIBLE evening meal. Above all NO snacking after evening meal.

Oh, & my mammoth tea consumption will be cut because of the Singletrack tea mug I’ve bought. Its like a dinky china cup!!!

Good luck to all.
    PT

paddlemyowncanoe
    Free Member

My killer is the booze. Not the calories in it, but the sod-the-rules munchies.

I’m interested in Joe Friel’s experiences of the Palo(lithic) diet – if he uses it, can’t be bad. Anyone tried it?

marsdenman
    Free Member

But seriously though – for me…..
    out with the daily bag of crisps (McCoys….) and out with the daily bottle of beer (500ml variant….) – except weekends when the odd bottle or two will be consumed…. (never claimed to be a saint….), increase fruit intake……

That is pretty much all I did when we started this last time, lost about half a stone, now all back on again….. 🙄

I also plan to commute on the bike. Initially i’ll be taking it to work on the train, just riding home (8 miles, all ‘uphill’ on the canal towpath and more than likely in the rain – Marsden and surrounding area is home to many, many reservoirs, they put ’em here for a reason…. :?) .
    Once my fitness is up (and towpath hopefully dries out……) i’ll be aiming to do the return trip….

Liking the idea of the food diary as well, i’ll download that, should help keep me honest.

Regards and best of luck etc etc
    Chris

nsaints
    Free Member

Allot of sensible advice here from someone who has lost 7.9 stone through cycling and weight/lifestyle management
    <http://frank.kinlan.co.uk/&gt;

epo-aholic
    Free Member

3 days in and i could murder a chocolate bar!!!!!!!!!

decided to go for the complete detox, no sugar, no caffine, no processed food and drink plenty of water. I have to say energy levels are really low, been munching dried fruit and nuts between meals and eating vastly smaller portions (ie. one sandwich instead of 2, etc) not looking forward to das off when i go out on the bike, i’ll last till the end of the road at this rate!

how is everyone else getting on?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Eat less (once the Christmas chocs are finished, had another go at them tonight so nearly done) and get back on the bike once my back is back upto it (next week or two).
    Keep pondering the commute but no showers at school, get sweaty when I ride and it takes about 1 hour. I am sure it will happen, one day…

Jamie
    Free Member

paddlemyowncanoe – Member

My killer is the booze. Not the calories in it, but the sod-the-rules munchies.

I’m interested in Joe Friel’s experiences of the Palo(lithic) diet – if he uses it, can’t be bad. Anyone tried it?

Amen brother. Tonight i just had 2 pints, but beer gives me the right munchies…to the point where i cannot risk having anything ‘nice’ in the house really. Right i have a date with the last few chocolate hobnobs :mrgreen:

Stu_N

Going for The Plan A Diet which works without fail, the total detox/ freak diet never works, it only lasts a few days.

Plan A Diet is an “eat less sh*** and exercise more” sort of diet – thought I might as well give it a name!

So riding into work an extra day a week and probably a longer road ride at the weekend which I need to do anyway should cover off the exercise more.

Small changes in diet going OK so far, things like:
    – porridge with a tsp of honey for breakfast instead of crappy cereal or toast which doesn’t last
    – nothing from the chocolate machine when I get into work (I have a box of mini Toblerones in a drawer, one of them will kill the chocolate craving which is far better than a bar of Dairy Milk)
    – salad bar instead of a hot lunch at work
    – black coffees instead of lattes (can’t stomach a skinny latte)
    – a banana and tea when I get into work, maybe a Nutrigrain if I ride in. So no toast or (worse) bacon or black pudding roll
    – a couple of oatcakes before I ride home for an enduring energy lift, keeps me from getting the munchies in the evening.

Stick to that and I’m down 1-2lb a week. Where I struggle is keeping the weight off once lost…especially in the autumn/ winter when riding less…

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Foxy – you will probably see me in one of those fine establishments at some stage, though I am enjoying my “local”, The Swan, at the moment.

Not expecting to do well this week, mid way through the worst week that it is possible to ever have. Feeling a bit down, resorted to a bag of prawn cocktail just now and debating a beer to follow up. Very down, very sad.

Tomorrow is a new day though, will try and sort myself back out again and start looking to the future. Can’t believe I have a wedding to photograph at the weekend too…

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

The Palao diet thing is worth looking at – basically it makes you eat the stuff that we are designed to eat. Kind of done it years ago… by living with a tribe for 4 months in Amazonia and was in damn good shape when I got back. Have the book somewhere… but then I am an archaeologist (or was) and so should be able to work it out for myself!

silverside
    Free Member

I’m recovering from flu so eating a fair bit of less healthy food – fry ups etc – as i’ve lost a bit of weight.

Once I’ve recovered i’m back into my usual routine – 3 runs, a long bike ride, a 30 min swim – each week and upping the distance gradually. I will resume some upper body work (dips/shoulder presses/push ups) to assist in MTB handling strength. I will do a second bike ride each week as my endurance improves.

I’ll also learn how to use my heart rate monitor and make sure I do some of my training at lower (fat burning) pace as i have a habit of doing everything near race pace until i get tired… good for speed but less so for improving aerobic fitness.

phinbob

Hello to you all and well done so far. All the better eating plans above look great.

If I were to offer one piece of advice, it would be on motivation. You may find it easier to resist that snack, or to get out of bed an hour earlier to exercise if you have a really strong positive mental image of what you are working towards.

It might be how you look once you have lost that weight, or it might be situational, enjoying a climb in the sunshine or shopping for smaller clothes. Whatever it is make the picture real, detailed and practice thinking about it so that it comes to mind really easily.

When faced with a decision, picturing this image will make it easier to make the right choice.

I have found this a real help myself, over the last year.

Phinbob (was fatbob but I’m 21 kg lighter now)

bigsi
    Free Member

Ok so i just got off the scales (couldn’t resist a mid week peek 🙄 ) and have lost 2lb this week so far without it really hurting me, went for a steady ride yesterday evening to offset the packet of crisps i had at lunch time,,, just got to keep it going now 😉

Good tips from all above but the general feeling that i am getting on this is to eat less and exercise more as per marsdenman.

Keep it up 8)

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

I’ve put on 2lbs, and i’ve been careful about what I eat…

🙁

epo-aholic
    Free Member

how about this……..

first weigh in today and i’ve lost 2.9kg in 4 days!

blinkin’ flip what a fat barsteward

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

I’ve lost 1lb!!

grynch
    Free Member

I lost a kilo last week, by friday that is… but went to a wedding this weekend.. and maybe a pub or two in the free time ( we don’t have proper pubs here so I had to make up for lost time )

afraid to get back on the scale this friday

Surfr
    Free Member

I was down by 3 lb on the weigh-in day but have crept back up by a lb now. I blame the 1 and a half bottles of white wine and a few LARGE baileys on Friday night with the wife. Had a little shock when I went to enter my calories into the daily plate on livestrong the next morning. Definitely cutting back on the booze this month!

scotabroad

Two things for me;

Cut out all mid week drink, even small glass of wine, i firnd it promotes the munchies too much and it disrupts sleep. Sober sleep is far more beneficial for your health and general well being – honest 🙂

Second thing measure chest and waist – use this as a true guideline on how your body is changing. Initial weight losses can be a mixture of fluids/ glycogen/ body balance “stuff” that I dont quite understand but it does not necessarily relate to fat loss IMO…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘The Official STW Fat Club ‘thread for discussions on progress, training, dieting’ is closed to new replies.