Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • The official MUSE OLYMPIC song
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Band – muse – British
    Genre – dubstep* – British
    Spoon’s verdict – shit – British

*apparently, must be an even wider genre than I gave it credit for

Northwind

I really, really like Muse. But that’s not very good.

MSP

It’s as if they were missing something to inspire them 😉

Only caught the last minute, but sounded like a load of self indulgent shite. Shame, I used to like Muse – great in concert, but sadly this seems to keep in line with the way they have evolved over the last couple of years.

PrinceJohn

Any links?

Edit- found a thirty second clip on the BBC website, sounds a bit like queen…

ocrider

The whole song is up on youtube.
    I usually consider them to be a little tongue in cheek with their style, but this time Bellamy & Co have overstepped the mark between pastiche and pure piss.

Either that, or it’s always been Brian May hiding behind a big curtain.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

ARRRGGGGH! MY EARS!

Just when you think things can’t get any worse…

Shibboleth
    Free Member

It does sound rather like a school lunchtime band club having a go at a Queen parody…

snakebite
    Free Member

Queen/ELO, probably a grower…maybe.

PlopNofear
    Free Member

Muse are hardly dubstep. All of their current albums are just normal rock/pop. It’s only in the trailer for their newest unreleased album that it sounds a lot more electronic.

Drac

That’s just awful and yes I’m lost how it that dubstep?

unklehomered
    Free Member

dubstep??? are you confused?

I am anyway, Bellamy has a massive vocal range, but here barely moved from outside one uninspiring semi octave… kept expecting him to launch into something, or the music to launch into something, or something to happen. But then it stopped and it was over and nothing ever did…

hels
    Free Member

There you go unklehomered you have worked it out, it’s a metaphor for the Olympic event itself…

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Not exactly Dubstep, not sure where you got that from.

I did hear Mr Blue Sky, Russian propaganda music and, I may be wrong here, Don’t stop me now

grum
    Free Member

Quite like Muse and they would seem a good fit to do a slightly cheesy epic anthem, but as above that really seems to get into pisstake territory. And dubstep, WTF!? 😕

DezB
    Free Member

At least we still have Duran Duran to look forward to 😐

Hey, good job the Olympics is about sport not music eh?

ohnohesback
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not exactly Dubstep, not sure where you got that from.

Taken from the Sun and NME reviews, like i said not what I’d call it.

Brown
    Free Member

I’m a massive Muse fan, (ok not massive, I’m about six foot), but that’s utter bobbins.

DezB
    Free Member

Checked the NME and I can’t see “dubstep” mentioned to do with that song.
    The Sun: “Muse.. are set to release their sixth album, The 2nd Law, in September and recently released a video preview in which they showcased a dubstep influenced sound.”

So nobody really said it’s dubstep, did they..?!

rewski
    Free Member

I like it, nice strings, builds well, your judgement maybe clouded by the Olympic association.

DezB
    Free Member

or by the fact that it is crap ?

scuzz
    Free Member

Well that’s a shame.

Cougar

TBH, it could be worse. There but for the grace of dog we could’ve ended up with Englebert Humperdinck.

I agree though that it sounded like it was building up to an exciting bombastic crescendo but then just fizzled out. It’s a bit like my sex like, only with more wailing.

momo

Worst song ever!

Well maybe not quite, but it really is poor. Muse really have dissapeared up their own backsides!

nealglover
    Free Member

Of course nobody on here is going to say they like it.

For the next month or so STW is the 2012 Official Forum for endlessly moaning about anything to do with the Olympics.

Northwind

Full version does work a bit better than the 30 second snippet. But it’s a bit all-over-the-place isn’t it.

grum
    Free Member

Of course nobody on here is going to say they like it.

For the next month or so STW is the 2012 Official Forum for endlessly moaning about anything to do with the Olympics.

Or maybe they actually just don’t like it because it’s rubbish?

timraven

Just listened to it on 6 music and it’s as crap as the rest of their recent rubbish.

I hope our athletes performance is better.

rewski
    Free Member

@ nealglover – I did.

GregMay
    Free Member

The start is quite random…I was waiting for the red banners to unfurl and ICBMs to be paraded.

Mih to the rest of it, I’ve heard far worse.

DezB
    Free Member

I hope our athletes performance is better.

Amen to that, brother. 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

🙄

Drac

I’m indifferent about the Olympics as I am every time it’s on but that song is just awful.

jimification
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s terrible but people above have it bang to rights with the ELO / Queen spotting.

We should just use this and have done with it…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSTivVclQQ0[/video]

scuzz
    Free Member

To be honest, if I had their fan base, I’d probably see how much I could get away with too.

Northwind

Fair point- I’ve just paid £55 for tickets to see them in October while saying “Well they used to be great live”. Muse fans- we have nobody to blame but ourselves.

deviant
    Free Member

I’m not a Muse fan so to me it just sounds like all their other stuff, they have a distinctive sound, mainly due to that bloke’s vocals….

….that said i dont mind it, it builds nicely and the strong guitars were pleasing to hear as i had feared the official Olympic song would be some bland, turgid effort with singing school children or something equally as cringeworthy….failing that i half expected the organisers to go completely in the opposite direction and get someone achingly ‘yoof’ like Professor Green or someone of his ilk to embarrass the nation on a global scale.

This song is about as good as i could have hoped for given the circumstances.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I only half-listened to it just now on 6 Music but it didn’t offend.

ransos
    Free Member

I thought it was on a par with much of their output…mind you, I saw them live about 10 years ago, and I thought they were rubbish then, too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘The official MUSE OLYMPIC song’ is closed to new replies.