Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The New Transit Custom Sport vs The VW T5
  • womble72
    Free Member

Was all but ready to get a T5 kombi but the prices are a bit :-O Then I clapped eyes on a Tranny Sport (new shape) and quite like the look plus the spec/price seem reasonable. Reviews say they are car like to drive and are a worthy contender for a T5… Any owners of both vehicles on here care to try persuade me to join the Ford or VW family?

welshfarmer

At the legal speed limit of when stuck in a typical traffic jam I bet there is very little difference TBF. It all comes down to personal preference, cost of ownership coupled to kudos/image and not a lot else. Both are nothing more than a steel box on wheels with an engine. Some of each will prove unreliable, many won’t. Only you know if the extra initial outlay is worth it.

jam-bo

I know which will be worth more in five years time.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    I know which will be worth more in five years time.

Good, how much more does it cost to buy? I’d be more interested in a cost of ownership comparison than the old “Residuals” line.
    Look at the deals and see what comes out best.

womble72
    Free Member

Given the how expensive they are now 2nd hand, I’m guessing the T5 will be worth more come resale time. I’m looking to keep whatever I get for a very very long time, so the lower mileage/newer transit looked more appealing than a higher mileage/slightly older T5. But maybe newer isn’t a sensible buy in this case?

maccruiskeen

Reviews say they are car like to drive and are a worthy contender for a T5

I hired at 6 seater custom (not in sport spec though) a few weeks back. Theres a lot to like about it but compared to the last generation of transits, which have a really comfy ride, (or compared to anything really) it was quite jarring – sort of felt like I was driving with too much air in the tyres or like theres no pre-load in the suspension. It was on delivery milage so I don’t know if the suspension mellows. But with 6 people, dog, 4 bikes and luggage it was no less rough. In broad terms I liked it, but the ride was a surprise and the driving seat is ace but the other seats are hard and had the passengers wishing they’d brought a cushion after a few hours.

Its bigger on the road than it looks and the wing mirrors are tucked in quite close to the body which creates quite a noticeable blind spot behind you. If you were on a covert mission you’d have no idea if you were being tailed.

Definitely drive one before you buy, if they’re ‘car-like’ I’ve no idea what car they are like.

welshfarmer

All I would say is, if you have ever aspired to the VW family then it is better to follow your heart and not your head. Otherwise you will always hanker after one and ownership of anything else will always feel wrong.

I always wanted a defender but couldn’t justify the fact that they cost twice what a similar age/condition Discovery did, while the disco could do everything the defender could, and in far more comfort. It took me 8 years and 4 discos before I finally got my defender. I wish I had done it sooner.

marcus
    Free Member

But if you get a VW, you can hang one of them flowery garland things from the rear view mirror.

maccruiskeen

If you get a transit you can zip tie a filthy old teddy to your grill

geoffj

I’m no t5 fanboi but the latest transits are fugly as fug!

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’ve spent a lot of time travelling up and down the country this year in a mate’s Transit Custom and it’s great. all mod cons, inc the all-important heated seats, seems to handle well and it’s got good brakes. which is a good thing.

Drove a Transit Custom and a nice T5 recently in my quest to finally end up with another pick-up. Neither drove like a car, the Transit had more ‘toys’, but the VW was definitely a nice drive. The pick-up beats them both hands down though in every way barring loadspace.

Residuals are very poor on the transit too

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘The New Transit Custom Sport vs The VW T5’ is closed to new replies.