Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • The new protein thread
  • bikemanspen
    Free Member

I’ve just ran out of my usual big tub of high 5 protien and fancied a change!
    What are you guys using and why ???

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

http://www.theproteinworks.com

Good stuff, relatively cheap, can get a massive bag and loads of flavours to choose from – I’d recommend choc mint.

I imagine it’s a lot cheaper than High5 as it’s not bike-specific…

If you use code GT79665 then you’ll get a free little bag of a different flavour so you can try that (250g bag if i remember)

Disclaimer: I will also get some free stuff if you use the above code – if you are the type who hates people that post sports pursuit links then feel free not to use it.

hammyuk
    Free Member

myprotein.com – nowhere is cheaper, loads of variety, from a small bag to HUUUGE quantities.
    Don’t bother buying the flavours – you’ll get bored.
    Buy unflavoured and then order the flavours you want. Raspberry is really good, banana, vanilla, toffee, etc all great!!!
    Good trick is to use juice instead of milk – increase the powder slightly but its a completely different texture and not as filling as milk can be.

ds3000
    Free Member

Might still have time to edit protien…

_tom_
    Free Member

I use myprotein as its cheap and the flavours are good. They have a discount on new flavours at the minute, I just got 1kg of caramel flavour for about £12 and its lovely.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Optimum Nutrition ultimate whey is about the best of the, cheap stuff. Chocolate mint is lovely, as is banana and strawberry.

8kg for £80 here

wrecker
    Free Member

The protein works diet whey 97.
    Isolate so minimal lactose issues (I can’t have normal whey), 97% protein, zero sugar and the caramel mochacino is really really nice. Bit more spensive than standard whey but it’s worth it. Had the myprotein iso pro 97 too and it’s as good but the flavours aren’t as nice.

bikemanspen
    Free Member

Cheers there’s a couple of very good ones there! So it’s now decision time

mrblobby
    Free Member

Myprotien here too, very good. Almost a bewildering variety of products. Usually mix their instant whey it with some instant oats, and a little maltodextrin to make a good recovery drink.

dudeofdoom

I Use TPW…

Love the protein pancake and the protein porridge they do…..makes a nice change….an the big peanut butters ace.

I actually don’t mind unflavoured whey sometimes the flavours make it yuk….but did find the TPW flavours good.

Don’t forget you can chuck frozen banana an a dab of peanut butter in the blender with your whey and make some yummy smoothies,

scaled
    Free Member

I’m disappointed at the lack of bacon in this thread 🙁

dudeofdoom

Musclefood for bacon an steak 🙂

dudeofdoom

When I’m lifting the food bill gets a tad nervesy 🙂

crosshair
    Free Member

Whilst I want to be open minded about this sort of stuff, I can’t help but find it a bit ’emperors new clothes’. I did the Brecon Beast on a litre of water, a Peperami, a Flapjack , a Marsbar and a small bag of Jelly Babies. Did I sell myself short by not using this sort of stuff in my training/nutrition regime?

poah
    Free Member

eat some tofu lol

JAG

I’m coming round to the idea that my diet doesn’t contain enough protein – I’d also like to be stronger when riding.

I’ve been watching what I eat but it rarely get’s above 20 grams of protein in a day. That’s lower than the recommended daily amount for someone who doesn’t exercise (56g). As I cycle I feel like I need more protein to build more muscle etc…

I investigated powders and then realised that I could just eat the right stuff. So that means I’ve increased my intake of Tuna (25% protein or 30g per 140g tin) and Peanut Butter (about 25% protein by weight) in Sandwiches mostly. I’m also eating more eggs (about 6g per egg) either scrambled for breakfast or just hard boiled with my lunch.

I think that’s going to help me before I need to buy powders etc…

Gary_M
    Free Member

Whilst I want to be open minded about this sort of stuff, I can’t help but find it a bit ’emperors new clothes’. I did the Brecon Beast on a litre of water, a Peperami, a Flapjack , a Marsbar and a small bag of Jelly Babies. Did I sell myself short by not using this sort of stuff in my training/nutrition regime?

How many miles/hours are you doing a week? Protein is for post exercise.

crosshair
    Free Member

@Garym, sorry, I was referring to the whole kind of High 5 range of potions and stuff rather than just protein- bit of a topic drift oops.
    Last 28 days- 21 rides, 391miles, 23000ft and 27h35.
    I just guzzle a glass of milk for post ride recovery?

cruzcampo
    Free Member

My protein true whey or impact whey, cookies and cream flavour mmmmmmmmmm, mixes in shaker to perfection

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

My protein vanilla. Buy two shakers as one will end up smelling worse than death when you leave it in your bag after gym.

mrblobby
    Free Member

crosshair, whole can of worms there on this forum 🙂

I take the “potions”, I reckon work for me. But then I often have to squeeze training in around loads of other stuff, so it is partly a convenience thing and I could probably improve my diet significantly to reduce the need. Find a good recovery mix really helps with night time sleep and achey legs after harder sessions though.

mikey74
    Free Member

I think everyone pretty much agrees that you need protein, especially if doing a lot of exercise. The difference comes in where individuals get it from. Some, like you maybe, get enough from their diet, others, need supplements if it isn’t provided by their food.

I try to get enough from my diet, but recently I’ve been considering trying protein supplements to make it more scientific.

crosshair
    Free Member

Ah, oops, sorry! Genuinely hadn’t looked in on one of these threads before.
    With my ‘season’ at its peak, I’m probably thinking about stuff a bit harder than usual.

MrBlobby, perhaps I’d rattle a few of your pb’s if I hit the hard stuff then 😉 😀

I’ll step away from my derail and leave you guys to discuss flavours 🙂

iamroughrider
    Free Member

i did aprox 25 miles on a crap heavy bmx and felt weak for 2 days after. Reasons – didn’t take my protein. Had a pint mixed up and felt strong and good a couple of hours later. So in this case it worked wonders.Thing is I had some rice and chicken after the ride. Plus I find it stops you eating loads after a ride ( just don’t take too much )

wiggles
    Free Member

Tip, buy the unflavored whey from my protein (as it is cheaper and has higher protein content) then get the flavour drops (a bottle lasts forever) and you get more for your money and still good taste.

skids
    Free Member

myprotein unflavoured tastes really nice with water, really creamy taste and it’s much cheaper than the flavoured versions which imo taste like shit anyway

cruzcampo
    Free Member

The reviews speak for themselves and I only take after the the gym, or a very long ride, one pouch can last 3-6 months

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/true-whey/10530104.html

Impact whey is the bang for buck option, not quite as nice as true, but £15 cheaper for same pouch size, nearly 8000 5**** reviews…

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html

isitafox
    Free Member

As above, Myprotein and I use unflavoured. 1 scoop protein, 2 scoops powdered porridge oats with 300ml water/skimmed milk mixture and it tastes superb. The unflavoured protein just tastes like creamy milk, I can’t handle the sweetness of the flavoured versions!

If you’ve not ordered from myprotein before use referral code MP24976472 and you should get a discount (10%?) on your first order (or if you have just sign up with a new email address)

philwarren11
    Free Member

myprotein for me. I use the impact whey, chocolate or vanilla.

I also use the diet impact whey for meal replacement now and again if i’m in a rush.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Last 28 days- 21 rides, 391miles, 23000ft and 27h35.

Maybe if you used protein, and other energy products, you’d have a higher average speed and be able to do longer rides 🙂

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I get mine from The Protein Works, whey 100% in chocolate silk, tastes good. I alternate between that and hemp protein with cherry juice in it, and Osmo acute recovery at the weekends.

poah
    Free Member

out of interest how many of the people that take protein suppliments have normal stools?

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

The Protein Works also have a 10% off today apparently, just got an email.

Stools are as normal as ever

dudeofdoom

Yep did a shop @TPW someone got all the pancake mix though 🙁

Got the Dessert though an some hazelnut choccy butter – think Nutella wiv out added sugar .

I factor in a bit of bran or cereals /fibre/veggies…. If you don’t you won’t be a happy bunny…

(Had to manually extract once not a good thing 🙁

hilldodger
    Free Member

I use PhD stuff from H&B but only buy when they have their monthly buy 1 get 1 half price offer, not a great fan of the store in general but have good deals and a decent points card.

mikey74
    Free Member

I was just going to ask about H&B. I was in there today looking. I might buy some sachets to try them out.

sadexpunk

ive always found H&B to still be more expensive with their ‘buy one get one for a penny’ than myprotein/bulkpowders/TPW’s normal price.

mikey74
    Free Member

Maybe so, but as a “buy some to see” exercise, it’s more convenient as I have one 100m from my office.

finbar
    Free Member

Another vote for http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk here – founded by some ex-employees of Myprotein I believe, and I’ve found better products and better service from them.

Dunno if it’s frowned on, but if anyone wants to register on Bulkpowders and use the referral code AD136417, you get £5 off your first order of £15 or more, and I get £5 too. Thanks.

chrispo
    Free Member

FAGE Greek yoghurt with 10% protein – 17g of it in a small pot, 50g in a big pot, available from your local supermarket

Much tastier and more natural than powdered shakes

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘The new protein thread’ is closed to new replies.