Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The new Orbea kids bikes?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Look fantastic, my lbs stocks both those and frog, Santa decisions, decisions….

orbea

Anyone got a kids orbea?

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Yep got my lad the MX 20 team for his 6th birthday recently
    Think its fantastic, more of a mtb than the hybrid isla bikes we have had before (which are also great).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, the frog bikes are a bit more hybrid like too, quite stretched.

fanatic278
    Free Member

With three kids I’ve been through a lot of bikes. Had Isla, GT, Specialized, Frog, Orbea and Cube.

The best was the GT. Light and with suspension forks that actually worked.

Orbea has been good so far. Bit heavy maybe. Suspension is rubbish. Pretty colour though, and that matters more than anything (for a 9 yr old girl).

Frog is too stretched. I got rid of it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

She’s always had frogs mind, 55 then a 62, next would be a 73. Doesn’t seem to mind the long TT, tbf she generally rides on cycle paths with her mum and I, not off-road, so it’s not a huge issue…

Goldigger
    Free Member

I’ve spent ages looking at kids bikes recently and come to the conclusion that most other brands have cheap heavy parts on. Most have a freewheel cassette which in my opinion limits the upgrade path.

Have the orbea MX20 team disc on the way for my nearly 6 year old son.
    Went for this as its light, tubeless rims, freehub cassette rather than one of those screw on freewheel jobs. So room to upgrade their if needs be.
    Shimano hydraulic brakes rather than tektro cable actuated disc brakes, have read the tektro are apita to adjust.
    Thumb shifter rather than gripshit.
    If I feel the need to add a suspension fork then I’ll get a spinner air from Poland for €120.

sprocker
    Free Member

My son has the mx24 which was about £330 I think with v brakes. It’s been great, decent weight, Kenda small block 8 tires do the road and off well. Lots cheaper than an Isla and look good as well. My daughter has the Genesis core 24 inch which I don’t rate as much as the Orbea spec or finish wise.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Orbeas look interesting, but tough to get sized buying online with so little size info.

Can someone with a 20″ give me measurement from the top of the saddle to the ground and then a length measurement of some sort so that I can compare with an equivalent Frog.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Doug, email sprockets in Kilmarnock as they stock both, Dave is always up for a good deal as well.

fieldini
    Free Member

Got a Orbea MX 20 Dirt for my 6 year old daughter, she loves it. Wish I had a bike like that when I was her age. Definitely a viable (and slightly cheaper) alternative to islabike or frog imo.

natrix
    Free Member

the frog bikes are a bit more hybrid like

New Frog mtbs with air shocks are on their way https://www.frogbikes.com/lightweight-kids-bikes/mountain-bikes/ 🙂

GavinB

I got Orbea Trail 24s for my boys, and they have loved them. Swapped out the Kenda tyres (wire bead) for foldable Rocket Rons (tubeless), and stuck on a couple of 30t N/W chainrings (getting rid of the heavy bashring and S/S chainring. Doing that saved about 1kg. The fork is very basic, but it is an air fork, so I just kept dropping air out until it actually sagged correctly and they’ve been fine.

Good brakes, simple-to-use single ring gearing and they look like ‘proper’ mountain bikes to them. Can’t think of many downsides to them.

Doh1Nut

I ended up with an Orbea after much searching – I wanted something with nice short chainstays and good standover.
    MX 24 (10speed deore + hydro-discs + alloy rigid fork) – the kit is all proper stuff – really pleased with it.
    Will look into the chainring etc so see about changing for N/w
    Wheels seem a bit heavier than i was hoping – might all be in the tyre

essexbiker
    Free Member

Yep just got the MX24 Dirt (rigid forks) for my 8 yo daughter. Good quality and spec for the money (I got the discounted 2017 model) nice and light with proper shifters, single chain ring, nice and simple. Daughter loves it. Recommended.

Bream
    Free Member

At home we have Islabike, Frog and Hoy already but last week I ordered an MX20 Team for my daughter after researching for months. In the end I just felt the Orbea offered the best balance and having seen a MX24 at a race recently I thought the build quality was good.

Not sure more excited, me or my daughter lol

g5604
    Free Member

Yep just got the MX24 Dirt (rigid forks) for my 8 yo daughter. Good quality and spec for the money (I got the discounted 2017 model)

link please ! 🙂

lister

My daughter has got a MX Trail 24. She loves it.
    I’ve stuck a smaller nw ring on it and then a sunrace cassette with a big old 1st gear on it. She can grind up long climbs now.

It’s been a great buy.

robf
    Free Member

How did your daughter get on with her MX20 Team?

I need to buy a new bike in the coming days to replace an Isla bike.

My choice is between Orbea MX20 team – Canyon AL20 – Islabike Beinn.

I think the Orbea looks really nice but so little information on weight etc. out there.

36 spoke wheels look o.t.t for a little person – are the wheels heavy?

BillOddie

Make sure you budget for new tyres, most 24in wheeled bikes seem to come with Kenda SB8s which will be about as much use as a chocolate fireguard at this time of the year.

Also, don’t discount the Saracen Mantra 2.4 if looking at a 24in wheeled bike.

My 2 have them and the eldest is doing laps of the Monkey and FTD at Cannock on his.

BillOddie

Double post…

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Mine has a Mantra 2.4 too which I chose over an Orbea. £399 from Edinburgh Bicycle made it cost effective too. I don’t think I’d have dropped £580 on it.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Greg, did you get the MX20? I’m looking at it for boy’s birthday in May.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Holy thread exhumation Dan! No, I ended up going for another Frog mate, wee yin loves them. Give Dave at Sprockets a shout, he’ll do you a deal on an Orbea mate, they look cracking bikes, but wee yin prefers a more hybrid type bike, no really interested in off road as yet.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘The new Orbea kids bikes?’ is closed to new replies.