Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The New Hope Cranks
  • cheekyboy
    Free Member

Apologies if this has been done before, did a search and could not find anything.

Well I received my new hope cranks yesterday and like the juvenile that I am I scurried off to the garage to fit em, shock horror the actual crank shaft is too big for my already fitted Standard Hope bottom bracket !
    Scurries back to the house checks Hopes website, lo and behold its a 30mm diameter shaft, yes I know I didnt fully read the spec as all good home bike part fitters should, however am I asking too much for Hope themselves to emphasise this on their web pages ? they appear to have gone balls out promoting this product, why cant they offer the new crakset complete with new bottom bracket, the crank itself is offered in several different options, slightly annoyed as I have had to order a new BB at a cost of 70quids.

Rant complete.

otsdr
    Free Member

Several different options for the crank times several options for the spider/ring times several options for the BB… doesn’t sound very easy to keep in stock.
    Have you bought the standard BB as new? Maybe you can exchange it for the correct part.

wiggles
    Free Member

every review and press release i saw mentioned this… plus if you already had a bb30 chain set you would have just slotted them in and not noticed, so how do they know what size you already had?

I know it is a bit annoying but you can’t really blame hope.

davewalsh
    Free Member

simondbarnes

What a pathetic rant

Northwind

wiggles – Member

plus if you already had a bb30 chain set you would have just slotted them in and not noticed, so how do they know what size you already had?

They don’t, but 24mm is still the default axle, if you’re making something nonstandard it does make sense to make it really obvious, if only to stop having to accept returns. Not required, but sense.

simondbarnes

if you’re making something nonstandard it does make sense to make it really obvious

What, like putting a picture of it on their website? Or listing it as having a 30mm oversized axle?

Northwind

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-single-spider-crankset/rp-prod133149

Non-obvious. It’s there, when you go and look it’d make sense to have “30mm” front and centre, not down in the fluff. It’s more important than the type of aluminium it’s made of or whether there’s a patent out for the splines…

And totally unambiguous (that could be misunderstood as meaning there’s a 30mm oversized version if you’re skimming, Otherwise people will inevitably make a wrong assumption, like above.

Basically it’s in company’s interest to inform their customers well, they have to deal with the fallout even when it’s not really their fault.

JonathanTompkins
    Free Member

http://www.hopetech.com/product/crankset/

5th down in “key features”. Reasonably obvious I’d say.

Sancho
    Free Member

/\ /\ /\
    Well said, its as obvious as an obvious thing.

knowing how many standards there are out there, then surely it makes sense to figure out what you are doing first.

Also I wouldnt take any size as standard now. So many variants of everything.

Northwind

…and again, apparently less important than marketing fluff. Will everyone read past the first couple of points that mean nothing to most people?

TBH when I want to hide something in a report, I hide it in the fluff 😆 Hope aren’t hiding it intentionally, they’ve just put it somewhere it’s going to be missed, when it makes sense to put it in big letters at the top. “FOR SOME REASON WE’VE MADE CRANKS THAT DON’T WORK WITH THE STUFF YOU PROBABLY HAVE”

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not even sure you would know [ well i would not ] what it meant as it still does not say WONT FIT STANDARD BB which is the level I operate at.

Should I have hidden that point lower after some fluff?

Yes the Hope web site is much clearer so I now know I would need to pick an axle length as well but I would not have got that from the CRC website.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

30mm axle is v common and been out for ages so if you can’t find that on their webpage you not looking hard enough. or not doing you own research not there fault.

Well the other thing is if you went to the LBS they would know these things and advise you or have to sort it out at there cost. or you can not take it as you where not given the right info.

TooTall
    Free Member

Try buying a headset. That’ll blow yer mind.

bigrich

should have bought it from a shop.

MSP

still does not say WONT FIT STANDARD BB which is the level I operate at.

Whats a standard BB, square taper, HTII GXP?

simondbarnes

There is no standard bb / crankset. Hasn’t really ever been.

leeroybrown
    Free Member

I’ll buy your old one if your selling it?

coatesy
    Free Member

I’m interested to see what he’s bought for £70 that’ll fit a BB30 axle into what sounds like a standard frame (and possibly the resultant rant too) 🙂

MSP

One of these I would have thought.

http://www.hopetech.com/product/bottom-bracket-30mm-threaded/

Needs a special BB tool as well.

coatesy
    Free Member

Interesting, couldn’t see anything on their site (or CRC),have to get my eyes sorted.
    Edit. easily visible on consumer site,couldn’t find it on B2B site.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I did phone the retailer up and asked if they sold the correct BB for the crank I had bought, they initially said that Hope had told them there was no need to change the BB, we discussed this over the phone whilst both looking at the Hope web page, it slowly dawned on them that they were also unaware of this and that they didn’t even stock the required BBs or the tools to fit them. Ive found one shop online who sells the tool.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

leeroybrown – Member

I’ll buy your old one if your selling it?

If and when I get this sorted you can have it 🙂

coblck
    Free Member

Well got bottom bracket and tool next day delivery from westbrooke cycles also great price. Happy it’s 30mm as well gives me a chance to use stiffer axle with my traditional 73mm bottom bracket.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘The New Hope Cranks’ is closed to new replies.