Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The new 27.5 inch.
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Anyone feel the need to jump on board and buy/try one of these bikes? I really can’t see three different wheel sizes surviving in the mtb world, i think one of them’s gotta give.

Unless things maybe go down the route of 26 for downhill, 27.5 for all mountain, and 29er for XC and marathon racing. Cant see it happening though, all the faffing around and having 3 bikes where barely any parts are interchangeable if you need to grab say a wheel off a different bike as an emergency fix.

Rorschach
    Free Member

:0)

anotherbike
    Free Member

No. My 26″ wheels go round just fine…

sam69
    Free Member

29er no other bike come close.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Well seeing as there’s been 1,000,000 threads starting with almost identical posts, yes I think there is enough interest in it.

Unless things maybe go down the route of 26 for downhill, 27.5 for all mountain, and 29er for XC and marathon racing. Cant see it happening though, all the faffing around and having 3 bikes where barely any parts are interchangeable if you need to grab say a wheel off a different bike as an emergency fix.

You’re right, 29er for everything is a much better idea. Dirt even did a test, a 29er 4″ bike was faster than a 26er 5″ bike, a 29er 5″ bike was faster than a 26er 6″ bike.

I reckon we’ll see 26ers like we do hardtails now in 5-6 years. You’ll tell everyone they should have one to make them a better rider, learn skills, etc etc etc, but when you go out to the shed you’ll pick up the FSer 95% of the time.

andyl
    Free Member

I enjoy my 29er. I enjoy my 26er (especially after riding the 29er as the 26er feels more alive. I would happily swap to all my bikes being 27.5 if I get the wheels off the ground mischief of my 26er and the amazing added stability of my 29er.

racefaceec90

sod the clown bikes 😉 i like 26″ wheels.

bluebird
    Free Member

I thought in that Dirt article that one guy was faster on a 26 and the other was faster on a 29.

munrobiker
    Free Member

a 29er 5″ bike was faster than a 26er 6″ bike

No it wasn’t. One bloke was faster on one 29er, another bloke was slower on another 29er.

Which is as good an argument as any for choice and not ramming the bloody things down our throats.

I have wondered if you could just ram 26″ wheels in a 27.5″ frame if the world goes that way. I have no interest what so ever in other wheel sizes but given that the difference between the two is this much [———–] I can’t see why putting normal wheels in would do much harm if a nice frame existed.

honourablegeorge

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Dirt even did a test, a 29er 4″ bike was faster than a 26er 5″ bike, a 29er 5″ bike was faster than a 26er 6″ bike.

26er was faster in the first case.

honourablegeorge

munrobiker – Member

I have wondered if you could just ram 26″ wheels in a 27.5″ frame if the world goes that way. I have no interest what so ever in other wheel sizes but given that the difference between the two is this much [———–] I can’t see why putting normal wheels in would do much harm if a nice frame existed.

26 wheels would drop the BB on a 27.5 bike by an inch and a half – enough to cause problems.

munrobiker
    Free Member

George- no they wouldn’t. It’d be 0.5″ (Given than 27.5″ isn’t actually 27.5″, it’s 27″, and it’s half the difference).

Also, the 6″ 26er was quicker (a Trek Slash) than the 5″ 29er (a Rumblefish). We’d all be buggered if a 5″ 26er were quicker than a 4″ 29er because then the marketing man would be wrong. 🙄

honourablegeorge

munrobiker – Member
    George- no they wouldn’t. It’d be 0.5″ (Given than 27.5″ isn’t actually 27.5″, it’s 27″, and it’s half the difference).

Duh, sorry, you’re right. I should drink less/more.

DT78
    Free Member

Why stop at 29? Why not 30/31/32?

honourablegeorge

DT78 – Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYt6IqaHk_Q[/video]

6079smithw
    Free Member

^That is amazing. I want one

mtbmatt
    Free Member

There are no common rim sizes that currently exist bigger than the 700 road rim (29er).
    Without that, its about creating something totally custom, like the 36er.

bigdean

This somethin thats been bugging me. 29ers look and feel right for me (am 6’6″ ish) and have loved the inbread single speed so much started thing about full suss.
    Well did another peak ride on the trusty xxl 5 spot and i cant think of a better bike without spending stupid amounts.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘The new 27.5 inch.’ is closed to new replies.