• This topic has 37 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • The most important question of 2018
  • dannybgoode

Ok so I know the year is but a couple of days old but I do not apologise for the hyperbole – this really is a most pressing matter.

Should cutlery be placed handle up or handle down in the little holder thing in the dishwasher.

I’ve always been a handle up man but Mrs Danny insists I load handle down and it just feels so wrong.

kayak23

It is wrong.
    Why clean your cutlery then proceed to pick it up at the eating end with your urine soaked hands?

Handle outwards.

badnewz
    Free Member

If sharp knives are pointing upwards, you could trip and do yourself in.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Been dun.

But for what it’s worth, handle down means the eating part gets the food washed down and away from it.

I’ve never come close to falling into the cutlery tray in the dishwasher so do not consider this a significant factor.

What’s more important, is why my wife is incapable of sorting the stuff into corners to make unloading simpler.

1) I wash my hands before unloading the dishwasher.
    2) at quite an early age, I learned not to piss on my fingers.

mikey74
    Free Member

Knives: Handles up, for obvious reasons. Everything else, handles down, as it allows the water to circulate around the used end better. You don’t have to grab them by the used end when you take them out.

Edit: Plus, as others have said, I don’t tend to wee on my fingers and do wash them on a regular basis anyway.

kayak23

2) at quite an early age, I learned not to piss on my fingers.

I feel that not everyone shares this skill of yours 😐

andytherocketeer

Forget cutlery, but my former flatmate, with 2 Masters degrees (and made sure people knew that), complained that the dishwasher that came with the apartment wasn’t very good, and didn’t drain properly.
    Glasses apparently have to go in face up, not face down.
    Too much education clearly uses up all of the brain cells usually reserved for commonsense.

Non-handle bits should point to the best exposure to water.

wiggles
    Free Member

I am that person who fell on an open dishwasher*.. Luckily the knives were pointing down so all I got a few bruises! but handles up 100%

I dont have a dishwasher so mine just go in the bowl hiding under the bubbles and despite the 50/50 odds are always blade first when I grab them

*as a child

Drac

Given the cutlery tray is designed to handles down there is your answer, including knives as as it’s quite easy to pick them up without stabbing yourself or a small child’s face.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Phffft…like I would admit to knowing that … 😀

vongassit
    Free Member

Cabin fever?

chakaping
    Free Member

Knives: Handles up, for obvious reasons. Everything else, handles down

+1

Obvious innit?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Whoa there, this subject is way too controversial for me I’m afraid.

This is how wars start…

Drac

Listen to Jivehoney.

Makes you think.

Onzadog
    Free Member

By knives, we are only taking about table knives. Our dishwasher has a knife rack on the top draw to keep the clumsy, safe.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Two kettles, wonder what she was up to?

Makes you think.

bruneep

one tea pot, one kettle

Drac

Two kettles, wonder what she was up to?

Makes you think.

Oh dear!

Drac

By knives, we are only taking about table knives. Our dishwasher has a knife rack on the top draw to keep the clumsy, safe.

Of course just table knives you don’t put your other knives in the dishwasher at all.

the-muffin-man

Of course just table knives you don’t put your other knives in the dishwasher at all.

^This!

Normal cutlery – handles down so they clean better. You can stab yourself on a fork just as easily as a table knife.

Proper sharp choppy knives – always handwash.

linchpin
    Free Member

Sadly I remember reading about a 3yr old boy who died from falling on something sharp on a dishwasher drawer. Handles up for me. Mine don’t seem to wash significantly differently either way.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Oh yeah 😀

Thanks old people.

djflexure

Just get a Miele – separate shelf for cutlery 😉

codybrennan
    Free Member

Safety first….handles upwards. This really happened:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/may/29/kirstyscott

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just get a Miele – separate shelf for cutlery

😆

#PeakSTW

(I have one. )

hodgynd
    Free Member

Me too !

Cougar

Our dishwasher has a knife rack on the top draw to keep the clumsy, safe.

DrawER. Have some standards, man.

Sadly I remember reading about a 3yr old boy who died from falling on something sharp on a dishwasher drawer.

Handles down for me. You want to wash the bits that go in someone’s mouth, not have them festering in the bottom*

I have neither a dishwasher neither a 3yo boy, so I’m pretty safe.

(* – which TBH is a good rule for life generally)

maccruiskeen

Why clean your cutlery then proceed to pick it up at the eating end with your urine soaked hands?

Politely decline invitation to Kayak’s dinner party. I’m sure I want to hold either end of his forks 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Our dishwasher has a knife rack on the top draw to keep the clumsy, safe.
    DrawER. Have some standards, man.

I’m sure that’s what I typed. I can only blame autocorrect. I’m sure it is programmed to make me look as stupid as possible.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Festering in the bottom ?
    I’m not entirely sure that you have grasped the concept of this Cougar ..up or down at the end of the cycle they come out perfectly clean & dry ..its more a question of safety ..so for that reason it has to be down ..that is handle up blade down..

Drac

Safety first….handles upwards. This really happened:

I’ve had incidents where people have slipped carrying a knife in the kitchen, accidents happen sometimes they are freak ones.

bearnecessities

I’ll be that guy (I’m sure this has probably been done many time before).

..but a pack of sponges from Wilko and the sink maybe?

Of all of the modern affordable conveniences, many of which are great (take a bow, jetwashers, washing machines, combi boilers, slow cookers etc) a dishwasher just seems counter-intuitive on every single level, even if I had a family of 5 I can’t see how they make any sense!

Dishes and pans gets dirty > wash > dry > put away.

Or

Dishes and pans get dirty > stack in a machine > wait until machine is full enough to warrant a cycle > dishes and pots are now encrusted with broccoli and weetabix > argue with partner about how machine is stacked > throw expensive tab in £300+ machine > kill polar bears whist machine throws near-boiling water about the place for 2 hours, etc.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Totally get where you are coming from there Bear..the kitchen is always in a state of disarray..no matter what ..and the only way the system works is if you put the contents away as soon as the cycle has finished ..but even then some cups / dishes have accumulated while the bloody thing is on … 😆

Drac

A family load is enough for a dishwasher.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I don’t have a dishwasher, so I just piss on the cutlery whilst in the shower. 3 birds, 1 stone 🙂

bearnecessities

A family load is enough for a dishwasher.

Of all people I expected you to go sponge.

bruneep

that the people or accidents?

Drac

Of all people I expected you to go sponge.

Where’s no fun in that?

Bit of both Bruneep.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘The most important question of 2018’ is closed to new replies.