Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • The most bizarre thing you have ever experienced
  • SaxonRider

On a similar note to the thread on the closest you have thought you have come to dying: what is the most bizarre thing you can remember having lived through?

Mrs SR and I were staying at a hotel in Rome and had gone out for dinner one night. On the way back to the hotel, we encountered a group of young Greek men hanging outside of the hotel. I don’t know what they were there for, but they had arrived earlier in the day for what I had assumed was a football match or something. Whatever the case, they were acting all macho, and made us feel very uncomfortable.

That night – around 3 in the morning – we were awakened by an almighty BANG, and when I got out of bed to look out our 8th floor window, there was smoke billowing out of the whole base of the hotel.

By now, smoke alarms were going off, but we could hear little other activity (we were facing the back of the hotel, so could not see the street). We decided, seeing as there was no way out of the hotel other than the emergency stairs that led straight into the lobby, we would just wait in our room until the hotel people gave us instructions.

After waiting for awhile, we just drifted back to sleep.

In the morning, we woke up to a virtually silent hotel, got dressed, and went down for breakfast. From about the 3rd floor down, the stairwell was covered in a fine white dust, complete with bloody footprints on the steps and handprints on the walls. It was really disconcerting. When we got to the lobby, well… it wasn’t there. The entire thing had been blown out. What was left was blackened, there were no windows left, and the bar was reduced to rubble.

Amusingly, there was a makeshift desk where one of the hotel receptionists was working away as if nothing was out of the ordinary. I went over to ask him what happened, but because I speak absolutely no Italian, he just looked at me and indicated Mrs SR and I should go down for breakfast.

Whereas the breakfast room had been full before, it was empty except for the two of us, so we ate and then went out for the day.

We scoured the papers for news, but there was indication that anything had happened, and to this day we still have no idea except to suppose it was the Greek men who were not seen again.

maccruiskeen

I think you’ve won your own thread

maccruiskeen

I think you’ve won the near death one without posting on it too

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Driving home from Cumbria about 10yrs ago on the M6. About 9pm. Lorry about 3 cars in front of me decides to drive across 3 lanes and into a bridge. Carnage and dust, debris everywhere. Managed to steer and avoid most of the chaos.
    Stopped to try to help the lorry driver but due to debris and mangled truck couldn’t get near. Motorway was closed for 24hrs. I got home 5 hrs later. 😥

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

Staying on the 37th floor of a pretty swanky NY hotel one night, I got in the lift to go out for a show. The bell hop pressed the button for the lobby, and warned me that there was an incident going on down there, and not to be alarmed. When the doors opened, about 12 inches away a man was lying unconscious on the floor, being given CPR by a paramedic. I literally had to step over him to get past. The fire brigade were busy taking a revolving door off its bearings so the stretcher could come in.
    I went out (to watch The Producers) and when I came back, all was well. I asked the concierge if the man had survived, and he said yes. Rather indiscreetly he went on to say, “have you heard of a band called The Rolling Stones?. He’s one of them.”
    Truly bizarre night.

MoreCashThanDash

I once met a woman who thought I was marriage material. 😯

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

magic mushrooms

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I once met a woman who thought I was marriage material.

You married her didn’t you?

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Watching an advertisement for “men who like cat sex” on iTV. Sheeba “resistance is futile”. You make your own mind up.

MoreCashThanDash

I once met a woman who thought I was marriage material.
    You married her didn’t you?

Oh yes. She now knows she was wrong, but will never admit it! 😉

Bregante

As a young PC working in North Manchester in the mid 90’s, I wasn’t long out of my probation and working on nights on my own. We had an abandoned 999 from an address on a large council estate in the early hours of the morning. I arrived at the house which was in total darkness and looked to be abandoned and when I went to the door it was slightly open but there was no reply to my knocking or shouting.

I went inside and tried to turn on the hallway light. Nothing. I walked in the lounge and could just make out a woman on the sofa with her back to me. She was holding a doll and was wearing a hospital gown. I spoke to her several times but she didn’t respond so I approached her slowly while asking why she had called us.

As I got to the back of the sofa she dived forwards onto the floor screaming NOW! – DO IT NOW!

I genuinely believed I’d been set up and was about to be shot, stabbed, or whatever so I rapidly got out of the address and shouted for back up. After a few minutes it became apparent that nothing was happening so we went back inside. She had wandered off from a nearby secure unit and had returned to her family home which was now basically derelict. Scared the bejeezus out of me for a couple of minutes. 😀

beej

Coming home from work one day, my neighbour greeted me out the front. He’s a colleague/friend from work so I know him pretty well. He told me that there was a man in his back garden, with my garden chairs and a collection of cleaning materials. He’d reported it to the non-emergency number and the police would be over at some point.

The neighbour was renting, and the house was for sale.

He’d arrived home to discover this chap, and asked him what he was doing. The man explained that it was a lovely house, and it was where he lived now. He’d seen the for sale sign and decided he’d take possession. Obviously he couldn’t gain entry but as a house proud owner he’d walked the 10 minutes to our local One Stop and bought paper towels and various cleaning sprays, and proceeded to clean the windows and frames before getting a bit tired, and liberating my garden chairs so he could have a bit of a rest.

He then dragged one of the chair to the front of the house and set up a little camp in the sunshine.

The police arrived, and asked the man his name, which he didn’t want to give, and his address. “Here, this is where I live, this is my house!”. After a few more questions they found some ID on him, called it in and when they got an answer suddenly grabbed the guy and cuffed him. We then heard them telling him that he was wanted in Aberdeen (I’m in Berkshire) as he’d missed an appointment (parole? bail?). They put him in the police car and drove off.

He had a strong African accent so our theory was he may have been an asylum seeker who’d skipped off. Poor chap was probably mentally ill too, he was convinced he now owned the house next door.

mattsccm
    Free Member

The chap having a good wash in the stream that we rode past this morning. Ares shinnying in the sun. Camper van 20 yards up the road. This wasn’t in the middle of Scotland where it wouldn’t be out of the way but in Redbrook, Wye valley

anagallis_arvensis

I’m not sure any of it was real!

RoterStern
    Free Member

Living through a massive 7.6 magnitude earthquake in Taiwan would be pretty high or should that be in the close to dying thread? Weird experience seeing your house bounce around. The epicentre was only 50km away which killed thousands.

Apart from that the Yuenshui firework festival at the end of Chinese new year has to be the most bizarre.[video]https://youtu.be/vC88NV6Bet8[/video]

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

spirits…

My ex and I were sat on the sofa, holding hands kind of a loft playing with each others thumbs….as you do….all of a sudden a wisp of what looked like smoke came from her thumb and just as quickly disappeared!

I put it down to her deceased father warning her off me. She didn’t listen.

The ghost of Princess Diana has visited my moms house. She has a large display cabinet fronted with glass with Doulton in and commemorative plates and the like. There was a charles and Diana plate, it was sat on one of those plate upright stands that hold the plate at a tilted back angle. When she came down stairs one morning the plate was broken and laying forward against the glass, which is basically impossible from its previous angle. None of the other ornaments etc had moved.

When my father passed away, and right after the funeral, my right front tooth hurt me for about 10 days. My father had a very wobbly front tooth near the end of his life. The pain went and I never had it before or since.

cbike
    Free Member

My girlfriend’s neighbours constantly moaning about where I park. There are 12 spaces, two maybe three cars there ever. They make you move, kick her door and damage it. Some of them don’t even own a car!!

I had a van there this week. We had to call the police. They helped me park it in the most inconvenient way we could. Hilarious.

leffeboy

Mahousive earthquake as well. It weird because you can’t run anywhere as just standing up is difficult enough. You view all these massive structures in a different way when they get shaken around like nothing

jekkyl

I had a bad do on a pill once, ended up convinced the whole club were there to take the piss out of me and out of my dancing. Whenever I saw anyone talking they were saying ‘that’s him, tell others’ very strange. I treated drugs with a bit more respect after that.

jimw
    Free Member

One of the things that comes back to me in sort of flashback regularly was an incident in Robin Hood’s Bay, Easter ’86 or ’87, not sure exactly which at the moment.
    I was sitting outside having breakfast in the garden of the holiday let on the Sunday morning after arriving the previous night about 1/3 the way down the hill (weather was good) at about 8 am. I heard this “bang, bang, bang” noise coming down the hill and looked round to see a young girl, about 7-8years old, dive to the ground up against the wall on the opposite side of the road, immediately followed by a JCB which was clearly out of contol. The banging was the front shovel hitting the tarmac I guess the driver had tried to slow it down by dropping it to the ground. The JCB missed the girl by a gnats whisker. Her mother then appeared and was obviously traumatised.
    It is that image of the terrified girl and the noise of the bucket hitting the road that sticks with me
    The JCB tried to negotiate the bend in the street that is about 2/3rds down the steep hill, failed, and rammed into the corner of the house on the left taking the whole front off. The JCB then tipped over on its side. Myself and a couple of mates ran down and pulled the unconscious driver out ( I realise now not the best idea). The front of the house was a mess, you could see into the upstairs bedroom, I remember a wardrobe still against the wall etc.
    About five minutes later the owner of the house walked up the hill-she had gone to the bottom of the hill for an early walk-if she had been in the house who knows what would have happened.
    We were interviewed by the Yorkshire Post a bit later on. It was my first experience of what I had said being ‘reinterpreted’ by the journalist or the editor ( e.g. Altered to make more sensational)

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Sat round the kitchen table in Mrs RRR’s student house with herself and a few house mates.

As clear as day I heard someone run up the stairs. I looked at her house mate but didn’t say anything.

We then checked the house. Front door still bolted from inside, every room checked. Only time I’ve genuinely thought I experienced something supernatural.

tymbian
    Free Member

One evening 25+ years ago ( i was early to mid 20’s ) I met a beautiful young female in a Munich cafe. We drank coffee, then a few pils ( not pills ) we talked, giggled, cried with laughter and generally had a great time in each others company. When the cafe closed I was invited back to her flat where we watched telly ( quietly as her young daughter was asleep ) and drank wine, giggled some more etc.. long story short we got very naked there on the sofa and got extremely entwined in a very rude and totally natural way..it was fantastic. Everything seemed surreal in a ‘I can’t believe this is happening to me’ kinda way. We dressed, sat and had coffee talked some more..about 4:30 AM she says you’ll have to go now as my husband will be waking up shortly to go to work…

jimdubleyou

When I was a teenager at college, I delivered pizzas on a moped.

About 10:30 at night, I saw this orange glow above the housing estate, weird I thought then carried along the road.

I then caught a glimpse of an orange flying saucer, with lights flashing along the side of it – Close Encounters type stuff. Amazed, and scared at the same time I rode a little closer then it disappeared in the dark.

30 seconds later, it came back and I could read the logo “The Future’s Bright, the Future’s Orange”

zippykona

Earthquake for me as well. Sitting on my hotel bed in Sydney the door starts banging and the floor rippling under my feet.
    I couldn’t fathom it so went to answer the door which i thought someone was knocking on and as I looked down the corridor an American girl was shouting earthquake! I just said OH abd went back inside my room.
    I bet she thought I was cool as ****.

LAT

There is a house in the New Forest close to Burley. It is a modern building with a large glass area. It sits on its own, but is in no way off the beaten track. Many years ago I was approaching by bike and chuckled to myself because it looked like the man inside the house was cleaning the very large windows while stark naked. While reflecting on my mistake, a post office van started reversing back up the single track road away from the house. The driver had a very startled look on his face. It turns out that the window cleaner was indeed stark, bollock naked.

I was also on a bus traveling to the station one day. During the journey I saw someone get run over. When I eventually got to the station I made a call from a phone box (this was 20 odd years ago in a far off land). Hearing a commotion behind me, I turned to see that a man had dropped dead not 5 meters from me. That was more grim than bizarre in itself, but it was a bizarre coincidence.

lunge

Nothing compared to what’s been mentioned so far, but anyway.

Sat in a backpackers hostel in San Diego, talking rugby with a kiwi girl. The obligatory questions of where you’re from comes up. With promoting it, turns out she lived and worked in the same small, poxy town that I grew up in in the back end of the West Midlands. She even drank in the same pub as I used to, I suspect we had been there drinking at the same time. Very odd indeed.

Also, walking through London, with my (now ex) girlfriend. Literally bumped into my Mom and Dad. Nothing odd there you say, bar that I didn’t know they were going to be in London, and they didn’t know I’d be. We certainly didn’t know where each other may or may not be.

giantalkali
    Free Member

I travelled a couple of hundred miles north on holiday to Buxton, only to meet my next door neighbours walking down the street. Weird, had no idea they were even going on holiday, they were supposed to be looking after the cat.

Brighton beach, Fat Boy Slim concert with a quarter of a million people in the crowd. I bumped into my brother and shortly after, the boyfriend of my girlfriend’s sister.

BillMC

Was in a pub and an old bloke walked across the floor, blue blazer, cravat, loud brogues and went through the door. No problem with that, apart from the fact that the door had been blocked up for years. I put it down to excess fun and then the guy I was with, an ex-army captain, said ‘did you just see that?’ Oh dear.

Was in Antigua, Guatemala, and a group of 4 in a pickup truck went around town for over an hour mugging people and then stabbing them. It was bizarre and caused much hysteria. I got a taxi for 6 blocks and legged it pronto to my room.

yunki
    Free Member

My mate had gotten his hands on a bag containing a rather unusual cocktail of ketamine and PCP..

Now everyone knows that you shouldn’t use ketamine intravenously right? cos it will kill you stone dead… If you really feel like you have to inject that shit then you inject it intramuscularly..
    Unless of course you mix it with the correct amount of PCP, as the stimulant effect of the PCP will keep you alive
    (this is probably a very exact science so don’t try this at home kids!)

What I have found with most drugs is that you have time to administer yourself with the dose, then put your equipment down and sit back at just about the time the drug hits your brain (or whatever it does).. But not so with this cocktail

Sat in a mutual aquaintance’s bedroom in the squat that we inhabited, we embarked upon our mysterious journey…
    Before we had managed to deliver even a quarter of the dose, we turned to each other, and without speaking, we communicated the following conversation via some freaky psychic channel

‘holy **** shit’ says I, ‘are we **** dead?’
    ‘I don’t know’ says my chum, ‘but if we are I don’t suppose there’s any way back’
    ‘well we may as well finish the hit then right?’
    ‘I can’t think of a logical reason not to at this point’
    ‘we’re having this conversation in our minds right?’
    ‘yes. It would certainly appear that way’
    ‘this is by far the most bizarre thing that I have ever experienced’
    ‘yep. Me too…. by far

What followed is somewhat blurry in my memory, but closely resembled a scene from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and didn’t really make much sense until we regained our wits later that night in the local night club, walking around in a manner very remeniscent in it’s physical aspect, of the first men on the moon

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I was walking with my 1 year old in a buggy when I heard some bangs coming out of a very fancy building across the road (Makati, Manila). As people began to run, I joined in and went into the nearest 7/11 where the doors were promptly locked by a policeman who was loading up his shotgun and crouching next to the counter.

After 10-15 minutes and many shots, there was screeching of tyres and some 4x4s with blacked-out windows sped in either direction.

It turned out that the owner of the building had died and rival brother and sister had immediately sent their personal heavies to take over the building and secure its ownership.

Quite frightening!

Smudger666

bizzare – i guess this counts….

late 80’s, student at aberdeen uni. was walking home from old aberdeen to hillhead halls through seaton park at about 2.30am. spotted a car parked well into the park on a walkway with headlights on and a couple of folk milling around in the lights. approaching cautiously with images a of drug deal or something dangerous going on you can imagine my surprise to find a ‘glamour’ shoot in progress. after ogling a rather foxy lady for a few seconds, honest, i casually sauntered past the pair, bit them a good morning and watched her scramble for some clothes.

🙂

egb81
    Free Member

Now everyone knows that you shouldn’t use ketamine intravenously right? cos it will kill you stone dead

Err, I’ve had it IV twice and I’m alive to tell the tale. This was in a hospital though. It’s a hell of a pain killer and taken IV you go from screaming agony to tripping in a matter of seconds. I was very entertaining for several hours after that, rambling about hell mouths, badgers vs racoons, dwarf airports and a variety of other things that no one else could see.

The oddest thing I’ve ever seen was North Korean children in Pyongyang ‘protesting’ about how much they liked one of Kim Jong Un’s new flagship policies. North Korea is a strange place, well worth a visit.

nickewen
    Free Member

I genuinely have no rational explanation for this one so any suggestions would be most appreciated! Everyone, other than the three of us that were there, thinks we’re mental.

About ten years or so ago, me and a couple of pals, probably about 20 yrs old at the time, decided last minute to head to the Lakes for a wild camping trip. Armed with little more than a cheap 3 man tent, a couple of slabs of Stella and some sleeping bags we drove West. We arrived in the area surrounding Keswick (I think) in the light and had a reccy into some woods after leaving the car in small parking area off the road. Once we had found an appropriate spot to camp/drink we went back to the car to collect our gear and walk the 15-20 minutes back to the spot at dusk.

We set up camp and then set about the Stella. At about midnight we realised we’d left some essential kit in the car (probably a ten deck of Lamberts or something..) and being the Geordie hard lads we were decided that all 3 of us should make the trip.. The last little bit of the walk back to the car was about 250 yds along a relatively narrow but quite straight bit of B-road lined either side with woods. We’re walking this last bit towards the car drinking our bottles, carrying on, chatting shit and such like, under a clear night sky lit only by the moon. Happy days. Then.. all of sudden a bright flash lights up everything (and I mean EVERYTHING!) including ourselves for about a second or so. I remember the flash duration as it was just long enough for the 3 of us to all look at each other with a shocked/disturbed/WTF/scared look slapped all over our dials.

Needless to say we absolutely legged it back to my mams 1999 Ford Fiesta in pitch darkness. Unfortunately, the “Finesse” model did not have central locking and this being a 5-door car meant that once I had fumbled the key into the lock and opened my drivers door and then had to reach over to the passenger side, open that, and then reach over the back and open the rear door as well! All the time my two mates clawing at the handles like their lives depended on it! We sat in darkness, the only car in there, for about 5 minutes.. We contemplated writing off the camping gear for about 10 seconds before concluding it would be completely wrong to leave all of our gear in the woods (waste valuable Stella) and so went back to the tent to drink the remainder of our night away around a camp fire.

I’ve never been able to explain this. It wasn’t lightning as it was a clear night and there was no noise. It was too long for a camera type flash and there were no speed cameras on that stretch of road. The only irrational explanation is that the three of us were abducted by aliens before being quickly rejected from the probing/testing programme for being complete idiots.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

A girl I know used to work as a webcam girl, told me when we were drunk.. out of “curiosity” I used to try and catch one of her shows but she was never online when I looked.. so occasionally I’d watch another random British girl on there (strictly for research purposes of course)

A few months later I got wasted at a mate’s leaving do, was chatting to one of his girlfriend’s mates for a few hours, she had a good sense of humour, got on pretty well.. she then told me what she did for a living.. at which point I suddenly realised she was the girl I’d seen online.. hadn’t realised up til that point.. (“Hang on.. I’ve f*cking w*nked over you!” was my exact choice of phrase).. she thought it was funny, didn’t mind in the slightest, just didn’t want her boyfriend to know that I’d seen her.. she ended up writing a blog about me, kinda flattering!

Couple of years later I googled her name, have since discovered she once made custom videos for someone which involved pooing on her phone. Nice.

johnx2
    Free Member

[expanded then deleted]

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Mahousive earthquake as well. It weird because you can’t run anywhere as just standing up is difficult enough. You view all these massive structures in a different way when they get shaken around like nothing

Apparently was in a 6.4 in Greece. The rumour was that the govt. said it was a 5.7, because anything over that they legally had to compensate for structural damage.

Had aftershocks for several days after and actually got quite blasé about them.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Sat in a mutual aquaintance’s bedroom in the squat that we inhabited, we embarked upon our mysterious journey…
    Before we had managed to deliver even a quarter of the dose, we turned to each other, and without speaking, we communicated the following conversation via some freaky psychic channel

‘holy **** shit’ says I, ‘are we **** dead?’
    ‘I don’t know’ says my chum, ‘but if we are I don’t suppose there’s any way back’
    ‘well we may as well finish the hit then right?’
    ‘I can’t think of a logical reason not to at this point’
    ‘we’re having this conversation in our minds right?’
    ‘yes. It would certainly appear that way’
    ‘this is by far the most bizarre thing that I have ever experienced’
    ‘yep. Me too…. by far’

What followed is somewhat blurry in my memory, but closely resembled a scene from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and didn’t really make much sense until we regained our wits later that night in the local night club, walking around in a manner very remeniscent in it’s physical aspect, of the first men on the moon

Genuine tears

😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

An advert today on STW for a folding mountain bike with 26″ mag wheels?

That’s pretty trippy.

Kahurangi

The Mrs and I were had gone to Innerleithen for the weekend to enjoy a round or two of Golf. Walking in to the No. 1 cafe for lunch we bump in to my sister, who lives in Dublin, leaving.

There’s also the time I met an angel (a real honest to God flesh and blood angel) but I really don’t want that tale to reach the public domain that is the internet.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

15 years ago I went to certify someone dead who’d been found. Not my patient or practice. They were lying peacefully face up on the floor of an empty room entierly surrounded by empty perrier bottles, all stood up neatly.

never found out what happened with that one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘The most bizarre thing you have ever experienced’ is closed to new replies.