Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • The Mint With the Hole
  • Shibboleth
    Free Member

Bought some Polos the other day, ate the first one and thought it tasted weird – a bit bitter with a funny texture. Looked in the packet and their was a maggot chrysalis inside it!

Took pics of it and contacted Boots (the retailer) and Nestlé. Both seem rather concerned, and rightly so, but who is my beef with? The retailer or the manufacturer?

philconsequence
    Free Member

ahhhh i have some polos in my car, i didnt have this problem. have you considered it might be you that is the problem?

lets ask other STWers, has anybody else had this problem?

😛

SaxonRider

There’s probably a real, legal answer to your question, but TBH, I would probably have a beef with both.

That’s just sick. 😯

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I once found an apricot with a LIVE ant inside.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But your beef is with the manufacturer – the retailer couldn’t reasonably have expected to think there was a caster in your packet of Polos, whereas the manufacturer should have checks in place to ensure their confectionary doesn’t have casters in it.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I thought so Mastiles… I’ve sent the packet back to them as per their instructions – might not have been the best thing to do, but the caster is in a bin. The photos are enough evidence I would imagine…

Boots wanted me to send it to them too…

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Boots have just replied to say that they’ll work closely with Nestlé on this matter, but I think they’re more than happy to let them carry the can…

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

sealed packet? manufacturer fault

atlaz
    Free Member

My ex once found a sharp piece of metal in a box of cornflakes. Kelloggs said “Thanks” and sent them a voucher for ONE box of cornflakes.

mogrim

My ex once found a sharp piece of metal in a box of cornflakes. Kelloggs said “Thanks” and sent them a voucher for ONE box of cornflakes.

Did you ex suffer any harm? Why would he/she expect anything else?

donsimon
    Free Member

What’s worse than finding a maggot chrysalis in your Polo mint?
    Finding half a maggot chrysalis! 😯

GlitterGary
    Free Member

You should have bought the fruity Polos, you would have got one of your five a day if you had.

philconsequence
    Free Member

wwaswas

contact your local environmental health.

if you hand them back to boots or polo people they won’t be seen again.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I don’t think there’s any long-term harm to my health, but I did “eat my breakfast backwards” on the concourse outside Euston Station which was rather embarrassing to say the least…

uplink
    Free Member
    Shibboleth
    Free Member

Imabigkidnow – Member

sealed packet? manufacturer fault

I can see how this could become a grey area. The “seal” is only crimped foil – wouldn’t be too difficult for a maggot to wriggle his way in…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

IIRC from my brief period doing law at college, your beef is actually with the retailer – it’s the people who sold it to you that you hold responsible.
    BUT – for maximum hush money, take it up with the manufacturer. Send photo, not sweets, and include the words “envoirinmental health” and “great distress” several times in the letter.

envoirinmental

..and you might want spell check that word

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Take it to the tabloids!!!!

And don’t forget to be holding a small and inconsolably sad child in your arms in the photoshoot.

Cougar

With faulty goods generally, your legal contract is with the retailer. It’s their responsibility to rectify any issues, dealing with the manufacturer on your behalf as necessary.

With something like this though, you’re not pursuing a claim of “well, I bought a pack of mints, and they didn’t work so I’d like a new one” so I don’t think consumer trading laws are your best redress. Dealing direct with the manufacturer must be the only sensible option here, shirley.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Did you ex suffer any harm? Why would he/she expect anything else?

This+1

Reassurance that it won’t happen again = good.
    Compo = paulos crunchy nuts costing more(bad)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We’ve had similar –

A load of vouchers for this, from 2002
    (It was meant to be veggie, too!)

DSCF0300 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

And Mrs PP found this in her mouth after her last swig of Peroni. Free case of beer. Although they claimed it was MOULD, not glass!

IMG_0899 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The “seal” is only crimped foil – wouldn’t be too difficult for a maggot to wriggle his way in…

No reason why it would though. Maggots eat meat, not Polos

jonba
    Free Member

I’m no suprised by the polo, you’ll get a voucher. Take it any further and you’ll probably get threatened by Nestle lawyers.

Can’t see how that maggot got in there other than deliberately. Knowing what I do about food production lines I would say it was virtually impossible to happen accidentally…

Shibboleth
    Free Member

jonba – Member

Can’t see how that maggot got in there other than deliberately. Knowing what I do about food production lines I would say it was virtually impossible to happen accidentally…

It was quite obvious it had been there a while, it had left its mess inside the mints. Could it have got in their as an egg and hatched? In my experience of maggots from my fishing days, they don’t need a food source to turn into casters – they hatch with a little black food sack visible beneath the skin…

jonba
    Free Member

sorry that was the maggot in the korma, I know less about polos/dry foods than I do about putting liquids in containers.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I complained a few years back when i got a packet which had no holes in, they responded that there was a batch in which this had happened and they had enclosed the holes in the envelope. But they must have fallen out.

and paulo’s crunchy nuts are dear enough as it is

Cougar

I complained a few years back when i got a packet which had no holes in, they responded that there was a batch in which this had happened and they had enclosed the holes in the envelope.

I remember Aero doing the same thing on That’s Life a good few years ago now in response to a “my Aero had no holes in” whinge.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Update: Just got a letter back from Nestlé with a cheque for 30 quid.

Seems a bit derisory to me, all things considered. What do others think?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

depends – what do you want?

an apology?

more money?

I think I would be happy with £30 and forget any more hassle

AdamW
    Free Member

What would you expect as non-derisory?

One miiiilion dollars?

Keep the 30, you’re over 29 up.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Update: Just got a letter back from Nestlé with a cheque for 30 quid.

Seems a bit derisory to me, all things considered. What do others think?

Seems reasonable to me, that’s about what I would have expected.

It’s more than Mrs PP got for the glass in her mouth incident above, and it’s potentially nowhere NEAR as bad!

RobHilton
    Free Member

OP v, much like: Donoghue v Stevenson

I nearly ate a blade from a potato chipping machine from a chip shop once – just caught a glimpse of it sticking out of a very fat chip, which thankfully the curry sauce hadn’t covered. I took it back to the shop and they offered me free chips for life, but I wasn’t in the mood for eating anymore so I just gave it back to them.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

£30 seems beyond reasonable to me. Anything over the cost of a packet of Polos was quite generous.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Take the money and stop hasstling them, they paid out yeah.

I complained to Boots the Chemist a couple of months ago (boring story) and got a Giftcard with £25.00 already on it. I wasn’t asking for compensation or anything like that, just a simple complaint but enough for me to write a letter (shop advisor irritant).
    Makes me think they have a shedfull of Giftcards with £25.00 on them.

Long gone ar the days of crates of beer appearing on your doorstep, or buckets of meat.

stevestunts
    Free Member

I received a detailed letter about the production technique of Skips crisps, after complaining about a solid, uncooked one I once found in a packet.

wwaswas

Long gone ar the days of crates of beer appearing on your doorstep, or buckets of meat.

Did Boots ever put beer or a bucket of meat on your doorstep after you complained?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I found a moth baked into the bottom of a floury bap once. Free baps.

Mmm baps.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I got a Kit Kat without any wafer in, so it was solid chocolate.

It was like winning the lottery!

MrsToast
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘The Mint With the Hole’ is closed to new replies.