Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The Minefield of Tow Bars and Bike Racks…. please advise
  • viv
    Free Member

OK – so just bought an astra hatchback. What sort of tow bar is best and what sort of bike rack is best???

It will be carrying an orange 7+ ( 45lbs ) and a lapierre froggy ( 37 lbs ).

Helpful hints and tips will be much appreciated…..

spooky_b329

Only two types of towball…swan-neck (often removeable) or flange (two bolts).

Flange will be best as you can find a rack that will bolt on rather than one that grips the towball itself.

Bikerack…look for one that is bolt on (bolted part stays on when you remove the rack) and that has wheel trays, rather than two prongs that you hang the bikes on at precarious angles. Look for tilting versions if you still want to be able to get into the boot 🙂

gusamc
    Free Member

Check where tyres sit in relation to car exhasut
    Get a light bar that works
    Consider access to the hatch – with rack on and biked up
    see 1" motorbike straps / tie downs for attaching bikes
    consider a decent locking cable if leaving unattended ..

If you can take out the rear seat cushions (actually out,leaving backs in) can you get both bikes and wheels across behind driver and use hatch for luggage. Faster, safer..

stumpyjon

Start with the Thule racks, best quality (IMHO) but expensive and then work down to the cheaper ones if you can't manage the cost. I bought the rack and got the towbar fitted by the same people, I worked on the basis that if there was any incompatibilty then they'd sort it.

My whole rack towbar combo came to best part of £ 800 with all the extras I got but it's been worth every penny. Might seem a lot but when you've got £ 5000 worth of bikes on the rear it puts it a bit more into perspective.

steveh

http://www.aistoncycleracks.co.uk the best tow bar racks I've ever used (and I've owned pendle and thule as well). The wheel support rack is like pendle's version but stiffer, better built and easier to use.

The only fit flange type towbars and the website is very basic but give the guy a call he's really helpful. They're also cheaper than the opposition as well.

Mackem

The new Thule raceway platform thingy looks damn good. No need for a towbar. Released in th next few months I believe.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

I have a dislike of towbars – numerous whacked shins! I bought a flange type towbar to fit my Thule rack to, but had electrics route via side pocket in boot rather than permanently fastened to bracket, plus the bracket itself can be unbolted easily(2 bolts just below rear bumper). This means towbar is only fitted when I need it, as I can fit 3 people & bikes & a long weekends worth of kit inside anyway.
    Towbar comes in useful for those reaaly muddy trips, or when I have need for more seat space / more bikes (4 on rack).

Andituk
    Free Member

My Thule 908 was bloody expensive, but well worth it. Stupidly easy to attach, 2 minutes tops to put the rack on the car and the bike on the rack. Bikes are securely held too, no chance of them coming off.

Like I say, expensive, but not as expensive as the bikes I trust it to hold at 70+ on the motorway.

turin
    Free Member

I recently got the BUZZ RACK BuzzRunner 2 from roofbox (sorry cant do linky) it cost £175 comes with a lock to lock the rack to the towball plus two individual locks for the bikes, not sure about the loading but I have had a garry fisher cake and specialized stumpy on it from edinburgh to wolftrax on a number of occasions and its been faultless. It has moveable tyre holders and adjustable tyre clips, 2 stage tilts, can put either bike on or off without interfering with the other one, folds up for hanging up/storage has a lighting board included. Its nice and chunky without being a pain. It also has a big lever for securing it to the towball which can be applied using your feet and doesnt need any tools to do so like the cheaper/older thule

Im sure that the thule will do all of the same and I did look at them but i do not regret buying it and would thoroughly recommend it.

turin
    Free Member

just checked on roofbox and they have an exdemo one for £135

viv
    Free Member

stumpyjon – exactly those two bikes cost me more than the car…… Im willing to invest in a rack

singletrackbiker – The clip n strap style I used on my mums 206 bent all the boot panels up – total mess…

cheers for the links guys – think ill go for the flange type and look at the thule's maybe

GasmanJim
    Free Member

Atera Strada (from Roofbox) is superb. Clamps to any towball and has a (? unique) sliding mechanism to allow unhindered access to the boot. Really easy to fit. Mostly aluminium so quite light (won't eat in to your towbar nose weight allowance).

br
    Free Member

Don't get the cheaper Thule rack (the Ride-on?), I've got this. It works and has safely carried 3 bikes for hundreds of miles at speed, but the dearer ones with the wheel trays are better.

dab

ive got the cheaper ride on for 3 bikes was just over £110 all in with £10 of that a new plate from the motor factor

its still going strong after about 6 seasons use and i wouldnt go for a roof mounted rack again

makes next to no difference to mpg and yes the bikes get a little dirty but you'd be washing them when you get home anyway so no loss

security, just lock a cable through the eye on the towbar and into the frames and did i say that its rock solid with 3 bikes at ahem national speed limits 🙂

well worth the investment and into the bargain ive even towed the clubs bike trailer so it came in quite hand to have a tow bar fitted, also means if i need to go to the dump or garden centre or to get wood i can borrow a neighbours ifor williams trailer too ,,,saves the inside of the car getting messy

edit re above comments on the wheel trays ..would agreed with 2.35's it can be a bit hit and miss but at the time i didnt want to pay £250+ just for a rack

i got my rack and towbar fitted for way less than that !!!

Wiksey
    Free Member

+1 for the Aiston.
    It's made out of box section steel so strong and sturdy. Not as pretty as the Thule racks but not had to buy any spares for mine, unlike the Thule that went before it.

rig
    Free Member

I use a Maxraxx – http://www.maxxraxx.co.uk/ – great even with x4 bikes.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

+1 for aiston.

I'm just off the phone with the owner actually – lost one of the wheel support bits so need a new one
    'how much will that be?'
    'ooooh dunno, fiver for postage?'

Awesome service.

Good racks too – though if you're lazy like me and leave it on all the time it will rust in winter. Plan on stripping and galvanising mine at some point.

Also worth considering the weight of any of these setups – heavy rack + 3 bikes waaaay out behind the axle = very unhappy suspension. My old primera didn't like it much so I can't see an astra taking the pain. Had to buy a land rover to sort that out, better biking car anyway…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘The Minefield of Tow Bars and Bike Racks…. please advise’ is closed to new replies.