Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • "The middleway" 27.5" Mountain bike wheels what's all that about then?
  • merlinshearer
    Free Member
    merlinshearer
    Free Member

cheers Rorschach!

gee
    Free Member

It’s about this…

GB

stevewhyte
    Free Member

If you dont want a 29er then get a 26er, 27.5 is a joke.

gee
    Free Member

Well it is a little bit, but for those of us who like 29er, ride a 29er and had a 26″ bike sitting idle it’s a nice little upgrade if the wheels fit in your frame ^^

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Fair point.

chiefgrooveguru

I ride a 27er most of the year…

kimbers

if i was in the market for an 853 hardtail i think a jamis dragon 650b would be top of my list

merlinshearer
    Free Member

good point folks – never thought of squeezing 27.5″ wheels into my 26″ wheeled frame! mmmmmmmmmmmm

chiefgrooveguru

How many people have actually measured their 26″ tyres? Seeing as mine measure dead on 27″ I can’t entirely see the point of another standard for a 2% change…

cRaNkEnStEin
    Free Member

What forks do you use for a 650b bike? Do you run a 26″ fork with the 650b tyre almost touching the arch (see pic above) or do you run a 29er with a massive gap? Will 650b herald the comeback of the archless fork, Maverick SC32, etc? Is there a new 650b fork size?

kimbers

some forks fit 650b, fox i think? but obviously clearance is limited
    rockshox have a 650b revelation, white bros have the loop fork, magura have a few 650 forks in their new line up and fox have some of their 34mm forks for 2013

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/fox-2013-new-ctd-damper-34-forks-and-more-33747/

Magura goes big

cRaNkEnStEin
    Free Member

More choice, great! When can I expect the first 29er fat bike?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its all about more stuff to sell you.

gee
    Free Member

You run a 26″ fork with the wheel having good clearance from the arch… Fox are the best fit. A 29er fork with a smaller wheel wouldn’t work as the geometry would be all over the place.

GB

Dickyboy

A 29er fork with a smaller wheel wouldn’t work as the geometry would be all over the place.

I may be talking out of my arse but please explain why 3/4 inch one way is okay but 3/4 inch the other wouldn’t work?

snowpaul
    Free Member

totally agree with TJ – more stuff to try and sell you – wonder when people will realise this?

the rider is the most important bit !

cynic mode!

paul

bigrich

Marketing douchebags trying to wedge another product into a saturated market.

b45her
    Free Member

if your using 26″ fox forks check that the tyres clear the fork crown at full compression , the brace of the lowers may clear but the crown can stop the front wheel dead in a g-out / hard landing .

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’ve always thought we have different frame sizes so why not different wheels sizes in adult bikes.

Choice is a good thing.

Otherwise we would be stuck with one type of generic bike.

honourablegeorge

snowpaul – Member

totally agree with TJ – more stuff to try and sell you – wonder when people will realise this?

You do understand that the reason that bike companies exist is to sell bicycles, right?

And that selling different sized wheels isn’t some sinister plan, it’s them responding to demand?

And that having a choice is a good thing?

And that there’s zero chance that anyone is going to come to your house and force you to buy a new bike, or change your wheel size?

codger23

rode a 27.5 (Jamis) and a 29″ the other day alongside a 26″ – the 27.5″ was the more natural ride coping with terrain more easily, with the benefits of better rolling but quicker to haul up slopes than a 29″ – definitely converted as felt less beat up and fresher on the 27.5 – will wait until there is a better selection of tires and forks but definitely preferred the 27.5 – never saw a sinister plan just enjoy riding any bike off road – cannot afford all the bikes I would like but this is definitely a step in the right direction- now if only I could get a test bike!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘"The middleway" 27.5" Mountain bike wheels what's all that about then?’ is closed to new replies.