Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • The Man Who Cycled the Americas BBC1 22:30 tonight.. proper good telly
  • Carpediem
    Free Member

Mark Beaumont, who broke the record for pedalling around the world is back on the road. This time the adventure promises to be more exhilarating and agonising – Mark's journey will take him from Alaska, USA to Ushuaia, in southern Argentina; cycling the length of the Rockies and Andes, 13,000 miles through 12 countries. He'll also attempt to reach the summits of the highest mountains in North and South America. For nine months, Mark will self-film his intimate adventure at bike speed.
    Mark crosses into northern Mexico…….. watch the rest 🙂

plecostomus
    Free Member

Wont Need to watch it now that you've told me what's going to happen!

richpips
    Free Member

Thx for the reminder.

bigsi
    Free Member

I'll be watching it on iplayer tomorrow a its past my bed time 😳

yetiguy
    Free Member

dont forget the "flying scotsman" straight after (Graham Obree)

tinribz
    Free Member

Watched last week's on iplayer, seemed to cover alot of ground in one episode Alaska to Mexico. Not sure what to say about his bike, was that a Rohloff?

Lazgoat
    Free Member

What's amazing is that he only has one cycling top!

postierich
    Free Member

Its annoying me now talking about kidnappings and killings all the time!
    he annoyed me last week when I attended his uk tour too!

Nick

lol at the fecked external bb bearing, wonder if he'll start a thread on stw about it and have a good old moan 🙂

WTF
    Free Member

What tyres should I use for cycling round the world ?

Andy

Should of gone square taper and king headset. Anyone that comes round these parts knows that….. 🙄

curtisthecat
    Free Member

…and bloody well moaning about the spicy food. Its Mexico for **** sakes!

tinribz
    Free Member

He looked real nervous tonight, but as usual a lot of editing.

Also, how can you be so in to cycling and not know how to change a headset?

Flying scotsman looks good, sky+'d it.

Tiger6791

Notice Guatamalan the guy with the wood on the back.

Rigid forks
    Narrow Bars
    Thumb Shifters

Bet he's on Retro Bike

BigJohn

Enjoying it and booked to see him when he comes to Stafford in May.

Although I bet everybody will have nicked the bike parking places outside the theatre.

Had to walk away from Flying Scotsman – It's that awful cheap British movie style, with mega-unrealism and the wrong Brian Cox.

druidh
    Free Member

Nick – Member
    lol at the fecked external bb bearing, wonder if he'll start a thread on stw about it and have a good old moan

Guess who had to send a BB and fitting tool out to him……

druidh
    Free Member

WTF – Member
    What tyres should I use for cycling round the world ?

Schwalbe Marathon XR actually….

sambob
    Free Member

i take it you were more than slightly involved druidh? and the flying scotsman isnt on iplayer yet 🙁 will it be later on?

Sancho
    Free Member

the man is nothing compared to Steve Bottomley who has just got back from a trip around South America with Angela Mudge, their trip sounded far more interesting, that would make good tv, instead of a guy filming himself riding a bike and not really saying anything or seeing anything. a very boring programme.

badnewz
    Free Member

The rider is one of those boring Scots, who for what they lack in imagination they more than make up for in determination.

miketually
    Free Member

I liked it, but it's such a shame that they've crammed 9 months of riding into three episodes!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I watched a bit of last nights episode and didn't find it all that enjoyable really. What he does is impressive, but he's not a particularly interesting commentator and the over-dramatizing of the bike problems (oh, my BB is wobbling – I need a national level race mechanic to fix it, oh, my headset is worn – the end of the world is nigh) a bit tedious.

Dave
    Free Member

I liked the bit where he struggled to order food when they didn't have pizza, "luckily mark has somehow managed to order fajitas".

miketually
    Free Member

I liked the bit where he struggled to order food when they didn't have pizza, "luckily mark has somehow managed to order fajitas".

In Italy, that would have been impressive. In Mexico, not so much.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Also, much as i enjoyed it – who the hell goes through the Americas and cant eat spicy food! what a waste 😥

Dave
    Free Member

Don't most people not try to learn at least a little of the predominant language of the countries they're headed too?

miketually
    Free Member

He could/should have been learning/practising Spanish while he was riding through the US and Canada.

Maybe it was a hangover from his round the world attempt when there would maybe have been too many languages? (Though between English and a bit of French and Spanish you'll be ok most places I'd have thought?)

BigJohn

Yes but the sign over the cafe did advertise Pizzas.

And Spanish is quite different in different countries.

ocrider

I liked it, but it's such a shame that they've crammed 9 months of riding into three episodes!

I dont know if making it any longer would make it any more interesting. They have tried petty hard to make mechanical problems into end of the journey situations,but I was disappointed that he didnt have any comedy toilet moments in Mexico, which surely happened, right?

Also, not enough puncture repairs.

ocrider

"luckily mark has somehow managed to order fajitas"

Harry Hill, were you watching?

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

shame that they've crammed 9 months of riding into three episodes!

my thoughts exactly, I was looking forward to this but it covers a lot of ground in each episode and I can't help but think we're missing a lot of interesting things along the way.

Why couldn't he have a cameraman with him all the way, or more of the way, why did the 'bbc cameraman' have to leave him?

Anyway, I enjoyed it, it's all good, more cycling on telly please!

uplink
    Free Member

I've seen both episodes now & won't be bothered if I miss the 3rd one

They've missed a trick somewhere with this – poor editing didn't help

If you blinked you could miss a whole country, I know they only have 2 hrs or so to show 9 months riding but it would have been good to see daily or weekly stats etc. miles covered, punctures, breakdowns – that sort of thing.

& I don't need telling every 2 minutes how many calories he's burning

I would have thought it worth while sending a spares pack forward somewhere & do a big service where everything like the BB & headset gets changed – then again, I would have expected him to have a bit of mechanical knowledge.

Tiger6791

I would have expected him to have a bit of mechanical knowledge.

Maybe he just rides his bike instead of researching every component and doesn't care about how a headset works?

Still enjoyed it but did wonder what happened to America?

uplink
    Free Member

Maybe he just rides his bike instead of researching every component and doesn't care about how a headset works?

That's obviously the case & he's happy with it
    Me, if I was doing that sort of ride & had zero mechanical knowledge – I'd at least attempt to understand the simple bits like BBs & headsets a bit

although – they say ignorance is bliss 'n all that

Kuco

I watched his around the world record attempt last year and that's put me off watching this. I know he was against a time limit but all he seemed to do was moan the whole time.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I think he's said before he doesn't really think of himself as a cyclist, it's just a tool for him. That said, you'd think you'd have the tools/spares/knowledge to sort out a BB for a trip like that, especially for when you leave the US.

I think he comes across quite well, although I agree that the efforts to edit his problems into show-stopping events is a bit annoying.

Andituk
    Free Member

Why couldn't he have a cameraman with him all the way, or more of the way, why did the 'bbc cameraman' have to leave him?

Because then people on internet forums would say "He didn't even do it alone!!! He had a support crew!! He's not a real man!!" etc etc etc

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

I like watching this guy's herculean efforts to put as much of planet earth as possible between himself, his family and friends!

10/10 for effort.

3/10 for not taking enough risks with the local cuisine.

😛

However, he remains a buttoned up, Scottish distance cycling vegetarian, who cannot change a headset.

This is significant.

Of what, I do not know.

robholland
    Free Member

I thought it was weird, doing a tour like that and not having spares, like a bb, there only small items. If he used a decent headset it probably wouldn't have gone as well.

firestarter
    Free Member

i presumed the lack of knowledge on bike repair was to make it more tv worthy , edge of the seat (sort of ) for non cycling viewers who werent internet repair men. maybe it wouldnt have packed up if it wasnt a superstar one fitted with a rock 😉

as for the spanish he seemed to be able to chat a bit to locals when not ordering food so that was odd. not as odd tho as the fact that most food down that way is called the same in uk as it is over there lol

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘The Man Who Cycled the Americas BBC1 22:30 tonight.. proper good telly’ is closed to new replies.