Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The Lynx Effect – Kielder
  • franksinatra

It lokos quite likely that Lynx could be (re)introduced to Kielder very soon.

Independent News Aticle on Lynx reintroduction

I think this is great news, especially for an area which is very dependent on tourism but seems to struggle to find a unique selling point.

Should certainly make the trails more interesting if you think there could be a big cat waiting to be startled just around the corner

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I imagine the osprey they’re so proud of might find cohabitation a little less appealing.

Better tourism needs better infrastructure not novelty wildlife.

Drac

How will it effect the Osprey?

franksinatra

Looks like their primary prey would be roe deer and rabbits. I guess there is some risk to Osprey but it is not cited as a risk in any of the various documents I have read on this proposal

fasthaggis

Do they eat midge?
    COuld be on to a winner there.

Drac

Yup given Ospery eat fish there’s not much completion over the food source either, it’d be interesting watching a Lynx hunt a Osprey but not very likely to happen.

Better tourism needs better infrastructure not novelty wildlife.

It has that.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    How will it effect the Osprey?

I imagine – and I’m no expert – that having a (fairly good) predator suddenly introduced to your home range is a little disconcerting, especially one which can climb trees/nesting perch stand things and happily swims. I maybe wrong mind but i guess they’d take it the same way i would the in-laws moving in next door.

Edit: re infrastructure physically getting to Keilder is lousy unless you live there, no routes by public transport, an hour and a half from Newcastle which is 10 minutes closer than the lake district despite being half the distance.

franksinatra

The osprey nesting is well monitored and locations known Surely they could stick some vaseline or something on on the tree trunks below the nests

franksinatra

I went to Kielder last monday (from the borders). It is a long way away and felt slightly Twin Peaks. A long way from anywhere, hardly anyone there and slightly directionless. However, I loved what they are doing with the art trails and it is a beautiful place.

Drac

I imagine – and I’m no expert – that having a (fairly good) predator suddenly introduced to your home range is a little disconcerting, especially one which can climb trees/nesting perch stand things and happily swims. I

Or the Lynx can carry on hunting small mammals.

infrastructure physically getting to Keilder is lousy unless you live there, no routes by public transport, an hour and a half from Newcastle which is 10 minutes closer than the lake district despite being half the distance.

That’s the best part leave it that way please, very much part of it’s beauty and appeal.

Oh there is a bus route though.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

That’s the best part leave it that way please, very much part of it’s beauty and appeal.

Very true, but it won’t help tourism doing that, otherwise it’d be busy already. – the lakes is the perfect example, all the best bits are best because they’re too far from a car park for most people.

Or the Lynx can carry on hunting small mammals.

Hence the in-laws comparison i doubt they’d hunt me down and kill me (at least not for food) but I’d find living next door unpleasant and be looking for somewhere else to live pdq.

Drac

Kielder gets surprisingly busy.

I’m not sure Osprey have such a complex thought pattern.

dissonance

but I’d find living next door unpleasant and be looking for somewhere else to live pdq.

There doesnt seem to be any credible sources claiming that lynx have a negative impact on ospreys.

yetidave
    Free Member
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘The Lynx Effect – Kielder’ is closed to new replies.