Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The light greens will love this
  • aracer
    Free Member
    matt_outandabout

ooh, nice. I do like the charger idea, but surely more to go wrong?

Welcome to my world. Work already has 10 of these in the store, plus my own wee one in ano black 8)

Stoner
    Free Member

that looks just such an unimaginably expensive solution to a problem that doesnt exist! 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

that looks just such an unimaginably expensive solution to a problem that doesnt exist!

As I said in the thread title 😉

matt_outandabout

It does in developing countries, and more and more we use tech outdoors. On multiday canoe trips (in Canada for example) being able to charge GPS, some small lights or headtorches etc makes real sense.

zokes
    Free Member

It does in developing countries, and more and more we use tech outdoors. On multiday canoe trips (in Canada for example) being able to charge GPS, some small lights or headtorches etc makes real sense.

Sadly it’s bugger all use down here in Oz as solid fuel stoves are banned in most places….

chewkw
    Free Member

If I am going to a very remote area I would like to have one.

Kevevs
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=flY6DMCe4uM[/video]

IanMunro
    Free Member

Hopefully it gives out more than the 1watt shown in the picture. I’d imagine a lot of chargers will fail to work on less than 2.5

cynic-al
    Free Member

DIY is teh way ahead.

IMAG0588 by alan cole, on Flickr

rootes1

probably better to use solar for charging widgets – panel on backpack, roof, tree etc rather than only charging when cooking etc.

good idea though – perhaps on a slightly larger scale would be better

tazzymtb

so you buy a contraption made from metal either virgin or recycled, which still needs large scale energy input in the making,not to mention the plastics in the charging pod (made from oil) then have manufacturing inputs, packaging, printing and transport and shipping inputs…..which you then use to burn sticks?

surely just build a fire from sticks and save the planet just that little bit more.

green gadgets and the tools that buy them really don’t look at the full the life cycle analysis of their products do they 😆

Stoner
    Free Member

someone (aracer probably 😉 ) will correct my electronmathmatics…

but USB is 5v usually?
    my phone has a 2Ah battery, lets say 5v, which is 10Wh
    so it would take at least 10 hrs to charge my phone. Not allowing for losses etc.

Ive used a peltier device to power a stove top fan, at it’s best it produces a pretty woeful current, I just cant see it being sensible way of generating electricty.
    Id suggest it would make more sense turnign it round the other way and making solar panel driven chillers to keep food fresher longer in developing world.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsE4YtzXZe8&feature=g-upl&context=G20f78d5AUAAAAAAAFAA[/video]

aracer
    Free Member

but USB is 5v usually?
    my phone has a 2Ah battery, lets say 5v, which is 10Wh
    so it would take at least 10 hrs to charge my phone. Not allowing for losses etc.

You called? Not too far off – your battery will be a single LiPo cell (all the phone batteries I’ve seen are – though granted I’ve never owned a smartphone), which is a nominal 3.7V, hence 7.4Wh.

It might produce a bit more than 1W though – hard to know without proper figures (and you have more experience of peltier devices than I do). There diagram appears to suggest the power going into their combustion assistance fan, not necessarily what’s available for charging. The absence of any specs isn’t a good sign though…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Have fun. Like a campfire, you can sit around the CampStove and watch the flames dance as you roast marshmallows and tell stories with friends.

😐

andyl
    Free Member

what you need is a lithiated nanodiamond thermionic device to generate the electricity. Still under development though 🙁 http://www.google.co.uk/search?ix=hcb&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=lithiated+nanodiamond

jimsmith
    Free Member

I reckon the peltiers you can buy on ebay and the like are just cheap crap
    they are used for mining vehicles where an alternator is to much of a spark risk, they wrap round the exhaust and power those massive lights
    not availble to the public though sadly
    Ive seen proto stuff with numbers that would make it worth wrapping my stove pipe in em to power the lights in the kitchen…
    an gassifiers are amazing!
    Ive built a whole load for different sized applications
    the one for the storm kettle rocks… I can light up and have it boiled in 5 mins flat

for touring this is the bomb i reckon
    http://bushbuddy.ca/
    plus a ti 0.9l mug

anyone know if the biolites are gonna be imported into the uk
    or a bulk buy anyone?

elzorillo
    Free Member

As this is a bike forum.. how about using some form of dynamo on the bike wheel as a power source for recharging mobiles etc whilst on the move.

jimsmith
    Free Member

‘I reckon the peltiers you can buy on ebay and the like are just cheap crap

didnt quite get to edit this in time
    what i meant is
    there are much better ones in industry…
    they are used for mining vehicles where an alternator is to much of a spark risk, they wrap round the exhaust and power those massive lights
    not availble to the public though sadly’

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘The light greens will love this’ is closed to new replies.