Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • The Libertines? So what?
  • shellac
    Free Member

I was in the pub with Mr Junkie the other month. I was tempted to kick him down the stairs but he nearly saved me the bother several times.

The Libertines give the indie muppets someone to talk about as the rest of em are even more dull then a smack addled whining p•ssbag mentioned above. Hence the hype. Kasabian???? Kaiser Cheifs? Christ.

Too old to get it? You're being sold a lemon.

findo_gask
    Free Member

Dreadful piece of punditry there, Mr Poddy. Those bands might all be crap but they're certainly not similar. (Although the audience for the Kaisers and Kasabian does overlap I guess)

Libertines? Couple of half decent songs (Time for Heroes springs to mind) – but I see them as a pretty commercial, poppy entity. A bit of punk spirit I suppose – but not half as much as they or their fans would like to think.

I suppose they're a bit like the Strokes without the musical chops or the good looks.

coogan
    Free Member

The most over rated band since Oasis.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Libertines, Snow Patrol, Keiser Chiefs, Kasabian, Franz Ferdinand, The Kooks

You think these bands sound all the same?

Wow.

May I rephrase a bit?

If you played me one of their tracks the chances are I wouldn't know which band it is. They're all decent, good singers, fine musicians, I wouldn't turn the radio off, but none of them stand out very much. There's nothing different about any of them that makes me prick my ears up and listen, or make me want to jump up and down. I've got a couple of albums but it's nowt special. Better than Radiohead or New Order by a country mine though, I'll give 'em that.

I'm trying to think of what's made me listen recently, but I've not had chance to listen to the radio that much recently…. The Big Pink, Paloma Faith, a local band called Kenelis and another not so local, Red Jackson. There was a very good band at BBB to, Blue Screen of Death, I must listen to the free CD I got.

I'm a punk at heart though. Best band I've ever seen is Snuff. They wiped the floor with anyone else I've ever seen. 🙂

IdleJon

Does anyone find it interesting that we are talking about a band who have been around for 10 years, and the best references that anyone has come up with are Shakira, Iglesias, Kasabian, Snow Patrol et al. Fingers on the pulse, guys!

Are there any current 'dangerous rock'n'roll' bands at the moment. You know, somebody who's been around for less than a year?

Didzy2009 – Member
    i understand a lot of older people wont get it but they the last of the true rock n roll icon bands.

Didzy, if you were 21 when they were first around you must be 30ish now? Haven't you matured enough to understand that 'kids' never want 'old people' to 'understand' their music. In music terms, you yourself are a dinosaur now.

They have influence loads of bands (alot of shite mind) and will continue to do so…..

Do you want to elaborate on who and how?

Btw, I think some of Doherty's stuff is excellent – not ground breaking, or particularly original, but very good nonetheless.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Better than Radiohead or New Order by a country mine though

😯

Otherwise, what the Bath man ZountCero said +1

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Dreadful piece of punditry there, Mr Poddy. Those bands might all be crap but they're certainly not similar

I never said they were crap. And I don't for one minute think they are. I'm actually sitting listening to the Kaiser Chiefs as I type, thinking I've misjudged them. It's OK, but if it had been on random play I'd have had to check who it was…..

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Snuff, there's a band. There's just been too many good bands in the last few years…..look at No Means No, Drive Like Jehu, CIV, Pennywise, Leatherface, Big black, Jesus lizard. Libertines not even good enough to load the rider for these bands. Rock and Roll, dangerous……..hardly.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

etter than Radiohead or New Order by a country mine though

Otherwise, what the Bath man ZountCero said +1

Sorry. My pet hates those 2, for various reasons. New Order come right at the bottom of my pile as the most over-rated bilge ever recorded, IMO (at least Radiohead have talent) And I've actually seen them live, believe it or not.
    **shudders**
    I'd rather listen to the Venga Boys.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

look at No Means No, Drive Like Jehu, CIV, Pennywise, Leatherface, Big black, Jesus lizard

Bloke I worked with years ago got me into Leatherface, and the Stiff Little Fingers. All on copied cassettes IIRC, long gone… 🙁

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sorry

That's ok mate. As long as you know you're wrong on most levels apart from Level Poddy 😉

nickc

Are there any current 'dangerous rock'n'roll' bands at the moment. You know, somebody who's been around for less than a year?

Sleigh bells, Crystal Castles (espicially live ) 😀

Edit Radiohead and New Order to of my favourite bands

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

coogan – Member

The most over rated band since Oasis.

No no no, you're thinking of Razorlight.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Saw Crystal Castles at Latitude. Dangerous? Yeah. Shite act? Sadly, also yes. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds? Now there's a band you wouldn't want your kids to see 🙂

nickc

Saw them at heaven, haven't enjoyed a gig so much in years. Knew what I was going to get though. Makes a difference. Alice just cracks me up, bless 'er.

Nick cave : within the last year?

donsimon
    Free Member

Fingers on the pulse, guys!

Sorry old chap, I haven't been in Blighty for over ten years and you are correct, my finger is nowhere near the pulse. I had to use this to find an artist that would illustrate my point. I've just had a look at the whole 40 and recognise 6, and that includes Eminem twice. 😯 I've never listened to many of the bands mentioned above.

Benchmark has to be whether John Peel would have played the Libertines? 😉

fatboyslo
    Free Member

Benchmark has to be whether John Peel would have played the Libertines?

Good rule …….

Also refer to Strummerville thread as I think I may have a new favourite new band

The Riff Raff

I'll be hoping they play live locally some time soon….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

@nickc

Nick Cave was at Latitude last year…so about 13 months ago. Hadn't a clue what to expect but they were awesome.

nickc

DoubleD I read that as a band that started in the last year, not played in the last year?

Got to agree though, Nick Cave's still a force to be reckoned with. Really puts it out there, doesn't give a shit, v cool.

manitou
    Free Member

amateur rubbish..heard better bands at my daughters school. Emperors new clothes syndrome.. like that other pile of shite..White Denim, god tey're aweful.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah right nickc, I get you now.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘The Libertines? So what?’ is closed to new replies.