Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The Lazy Mechanics Thread
  • Special_ized_Jamie

I like my bike to run well but at the same time I have always been drawn to components that work well without having to pull them apart and rebuild them every month. I accept that parts will wear out and need replacing but which parts give you the best performance vs time spent servicing them?

I will start the ball rolling with my bottom bracket of choice the Shimano XT for me its always been a fit and forget part.

lister

The Hayes cable disc brakes that came on my 2001 Stinky. Still going strong. I think they have had one cable change in that time.
    Just work, all the the time.
    Can’t fault them at all.

Junkyard
    Free Member

road bike

deluded
    Free Member

RockShox Revelation forks. Got them on my FS & HT – superb & get better with age.

leffeboy

WTB GreaseGuard stuff used to be awesome for the lazy mechanics. Don’t know if it is still around any more though 🙁

ruscle
    Free Member

Hope brakes and bottom brackets. Ck headset.

Garry_Lager

I’m a lazy mechanic – xt drivetrain, bb are great. Had a great run with a hope pro11 rear hub, 3 years without opening it up. Mavic 819s and UST tyres are ultra reliable. To be honest it all works these days.

Only real problem I’ve had on my bike recently is sticking pistons on an xtr caliper. Basically need to throw it in the bin but balking at replacing it as it more or less works.

clubber
    Free Member

my Hope c2 brakes. bought in 96 and only touched twice when I swapped caliper halves a couple of times. still in use and working perfectly.

drofluf
    Free Member

Single speed FTW

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Shimano Deore disk brakes, circa 2007. Bled twice in all that time. Plenty of power and no trouble at all.

nickegg
    Free Member

I never keep a bike long enough to find out how long stuff lasts. Although my wife’s XT BB is still going strong after 2.5 years….so much for Shimano BB’s being crap!

Lummox

Hope brakes, shimano gears, marzocchi forks

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

“WTB GreaseGuard stuff used to be awesome for the lazy mechanics. Don’t know if it is still around any more though”

I remember them they where great, such a good idea, why it never took off I never know, (well prob very low spares sales!)
    Think campag do something along the same lines as WTB.

Hope BB for me.

flatfish
    Free Member

RockShox Revelation forks. Got them on my FS & HT – superb & get better with age.

Unlike it’s rider! 😆

pcb
    Free Member

Hope bottom bracket and headseat

timber

Hope C2’s – only been bled as I wanted some pimpy new Goodridge hoses fitted.
    CK headset and a Cane Creek Solos have had absolutely no attention yet.
    SKF ISIS bottom brackets are good by any standard and fantastic for ISIS.

epicyclo

SInglespeed and rigid. Perfect.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Giga X Pipe BB – buy for £25, fit and forget. 2 months later buy and fit another. No maintenance required as they dont last long enough, just a carry a spare for weeks away.

+1 for pre 2010 Revelations, but doesnt seem to apply to the new ones unfortunately….

transporter13
    Free Member

older marzocchi air forks
    most Hope stuff

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘The Lazy Mechanics Thread’ is closed to new replies.