Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The Law and RTC's [Any Lawyers or Police on at the moment]
  • redthunder
    Free Member

Two mopeds crashed into each other on a road near where I live. I didn’t see the accident. One of the riders was injured enough to go to hospital with a broken arm. But they both agreed with each that they would not take it any further, and one walked off with busted bike and the other taken to hospital by a parent.

Am I wrong in thinking that if someone is injured in a RTC that the Police must called and the drivers cannot leave the scene even with mutual agreement [unless taken to hospital in an ambulance].

PS this was on the public highway.

Has the law be broken?

EDIT RTA to RTC Hot Fuzz like 😉

mrchrispy

gotta report it AKAIK

Stuey01
    Free Member

You are the parent of the kid with the broken moped and want to claim for the damage from the other kid and I claim my 5 pounds.

bruneep

They are now RTC Road traffic collision.

Not an accident, always someone/thing to blame.

Reportable I would have thought. Why are are bothered if you saw nothing?

redthunder
    Free Member

@stuet01
    No not the parent or related or know them in anyway.

@brunepp
    What if they were drunk, doped up, uninsured etc. What will they do when they run someone over in future.

Stuey01
    Free Member

@stuet01
    No not the parent or related or know them in anyway.

So what do you care?
    Do you have reason to believe they were drunk, doped up, uninsured etc?

Edited as was being a bit unecessarily narky.

redthunder
    Free Member

@stuet01

Wait till they crash into you or someone close to you.

All I want to know is , has the law been broken ?.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Do you have reason to believe they were drunk, doped up, uninsured etc?

Perhaps they just came to an amicable arrangement that suited them and avoided creating a load of unnecessary work and expense for the police, insurance companies etc

redthunder
    Free Member

@stuet01
    OK. Kewl.

The two youths on the bikes have been behaving like twits on these things all day long. Riding on the pavements etc. No helmets, wheeling. Generally anti-social stuff on bikes. Luckly it was those two who collided, I’m not really that worried.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Having done some quick googling I think they technically are in breach of the law as there was an injury.

Regardless of that why not report the anit-social behaviour. Police probably won’t do anything first time, but repeated instances would move them to action.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Yes, they both have a duty to report if either party was injured.

And the riding on the pavement, no helmet etc also illegal.

Remind me, are you in AvSom or Glos?

And did you make a note of the indexes?

redthunder
    Free Member

Got indexes and photos. Yes A&Som.

Drac

The two youths on the bikes have been behaving like twits on these things all day long. Riding on the pavements etc. No helmets, wheeling. Generally anti-social stuff on bikes. Luckly it was those two who collided, I’m not really that worried.

Did you ring the Police?

redthunder
    Free Member

@drac

yes.

thegreatape
    Free Member

The only RTC that doesn’t have to be reported to the police is one where no one is injured and no third party property is damaged i.e. your car is the only thing damaged. All others must be reported to the police as soon as possible and at most within 24 hours. So yes, those involved have committed an offence if they didn’t do so. Of course they may have gone to the police station later on, that counts. It is not absolutely obligatory to call the police at the time, although definitely sensible. The police will always attend an injury RTC if called, and any non-injury one if the road is blocked, there are allegations being made and so on. If no-one is hurt, the scene is safe and all parties have exchanged details amicably then the police might not attend, depends on the policy of the relevant force.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I saw a bloke smoking a spliff earlier. I didn’t report it to the police.

Am I going to jail/Hell/Coventry? 😐

redthunder
    Free Member

@elf

Yes 😉

nacho
    Free Member

How can Elfin see from London to Devon?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Funnily enough, it was actually on Devons Road. 😯

Redthunder; ‘Yes’ to which one? Or all three?

Cougar

TGA > are you sure about that?

Two cars scrape each other, only damage is each others’ cars, the police must be notified?

Citation?

Cougar

‘Yes’ to which one? Or all three?

Is there a difference?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Spose not really.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cougar – yes, going by the book. Section something in the Road Traffic Act, don’t have it to hand, I’ll dig it out shortly.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cougar – my apologies, I am mistaken and you are correct. In fact, on reading S170 of the RTA 1988, it is not as straightforward as I set out in my original post. The obligation to report it arises if you do not exchange the required details at the scene, and in the case of injury, also produce your insurance certificate at that time.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

<sigh>

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

redthunder – Member
    Got indexes and photos. Yes A&Som.

Email or call your local Beat Officer, explain and ask if he would consider issuing them with a Section 59 order (Police Reform Act 2002) – one warnings and if they receive a second warning within 12 months their bike gets seized.

scraprider
    Free Member

normally if the road is blocked or an injury , or if requested , breach of peace etc any 1 of them 3 , imo

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Margin Walker – Member
    <sigh>

Please don’t be sad MarginWalker.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘The Law and RTC's [Any Lawyers or Police on at the moment]’ is closed to new replies.