Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • The last Defender
  • matt_outandabout

Foxhound
    £1m each give or take – I followed 6 being delivered up in Elgin last week.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocelot_(vehicle)

timber

Japanese pick ups may tow broken down Land Rovers, but Land Rovers tow the Japanese pick ups out the crap. That’s my experience of working with them in the environments they are designed for.
    Could be hanging on to the current 130 at work for quite a while.

durhambiker
    Free Member

My fondest Defender memory was from my time living in mid Wales. My Ford Focus got stuck in the snow, so I abandoned it and walked down to the village. Had breakfast at the pub and then started walking the 3 miles back home. Farmer stopped to offer me a lift home, which resulted in me sitting under the Ifor Williams canopy in the back of his 90 pickup with Meg the sheepdog. As he drove off back to the village, I realised my house keys were in my car, 2 miles away.

RustyNissanPrairie

So what will the MOD be supplied with from now on, or has the contract with LR ended? Would be odd to see the squaddie mobile being a Hilux/Ranger etc (and what would the REME do without Landys to fix )

The last UK LR military contract was 1996 IIRC.

Sad day at Solihull. 😥

professor_fate
    Free Member

^
    So the MOD has just been repairing an old fleet for the last 20yrs, blimey 😯
    Guess it makes sense to keep on going with the old buses until the spares run out 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My favourite Defender memory….(As we’re doing them!)

A summer day, sitting outside the Grubber at school (Think tuck shop, but with bacon sarnies!). There was a mini roundabout by it, and a beaten up old Landie was stopped, waiting at the roundabout when a 911 screeched in to the back of it. The 911 hit the towbar on the back, leaving a near perfect triangular dent in the Porker’s bonnet.

Driver of the Landie got out, calmly walked around, and delicately brushed the paint flecks off his towbar. Smooth.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

When they had the spare wheel on the bonnet my mum needed to sit on cushions so she could see out.

mark90
    Free Member

So many memories and good times (yes that as well 😉 ) in Land Rovers, made some good friends too. One memory that springs to mind…..

Driving an unassuming series looking vehicle with a nice aged patina (Alf), I pulled up at some traffic lights behind a bunch of yoofs in a couple of warm hatches with bean can exhausts reving their little engines. A few blips of the throttle had the V8 signing a tune. The look on their faces as they turned around 😀

And another was taking a break from driving along Parkamoor one quiet day with Mrs90 8)

Klunk
    Free Member

I got my 2nd road bike (first fullsize) as a result of the of the short load space of the 90, my mate had the bike in the back sticking out over the tail gait, his brother reverse it into a tree forgeting about the bike and bent the frame 🙂 I managed to straighten it with a seat post.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Surf trip to Woolacombe in my ’84 110. Pulled up in the early hours. Couple of hours sleep on the bench seat in the back, a few swigs of Talisker and a Dawn surf. Then Fitted 13 longboards inside whilst we went to the pub.

Used to use it as a mobile log store as well.

Got rid as it was horrendously underpowered for towing and was fed up of fixing things.

Driving it used to put a big grin on my face though.

RustyNissanPrairie

I fix it and drive it, and my Mrs does the cooking….

Chicken breast wrapped in Parma Ham is 25 miles at 60mph, prawns are from our house to Hebden Bridge, sausages are about 15 miles, bacon butties, potato dauphinoise, beef bourguignon, burgers….

Always get some funny looks pulling into a m-way services and pulling the bonnet ‘another broken down Landy’ until my Mrs starts pulling tinfoil out and unwrapping piping hot food!

matt_outandabout

Rusty – superb…

ourmaninthenorth

Has there been some sort of “be out in your Defender” day today? I’ve seen lots everywhere – either that or yesterday’s end to production has made me notice them all the more.

Never owned one. Not even sure I’ve driven one, but I recognise them for they icon they are.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Has there been some sort of “be out in your Defender” day today? I’ve seen lots everywhere – either that or yesterday’s end to production has made me notice them all the more.

Weather was a bit iffy here today, including a bit of snow. Didn’t see a single landy on the road. 😆

cozz
    Free Member

went out in mine unto chatsworth house, saw about 6 defenders and one series 3, waved at them all

Lionheart
    Free Member

Rusty – Love the cooking on the engine! Did salmon once, worked well. We have had an S1, S2, S2alwb and a 110. Loved them all, brought a smile nearly every time we went out in them. All of our were surprisingly reliable. Reminisce over the hum of the tyres and rolling noise of hubs, gear box and diffs etc.. But mostly pointless unless you need one.

v8ninety

Ha! good effort with the cooking there. Nothing so ambitious, but many a winter’s trial I used to wrap a pastie or two in foil and wedge then against the manifold for a nice warm* lunch… 8)

Edit; *and occasionally oily…

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘The last Defender’ is closed to new replies.