Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The Lakes for a total beginner
  • sharkattack

My other, sexier, half is days away from receiving her first proper bike and she’s badgering me to sort out our first riding trip ASAP. We’ll probably break the bike in at Hamsterley as it’s our closest but we’re well overdue for a weekend away.

Can anyone recommend anything in the Lakes? I really don’t know my way around over there. I’m thinking something fairly mellow to start with. She’s pretty fit but has no ‘skillz’ yet. Is there anywhere we can do a 2-3 hour loop and take in some scenery without me scaring her pants off? I don’t want to lead her into hike-a-bike territory just yet. Preferably near Keswick. She loves the campsite with the posh shower block. The one down the hill from Whinlatter. I’ve never ridden there either. Worth a look?

Sorry to be vague but I’ve never been over there with a bike. It would be nice to have some idea what to head for before we get there.

Thanks

munrobiker
    Free Member

It is only an hour or so but the Rydal Water loop is perfect for that and will still be good fun for you.

sharkattack

I just found this very comprehensive list of routes with maps and everything. Loads to look at there.

Looking at all those maps and how organised everything seems to be can I just turn up in the nearest tourist info to wherever we stay and grab one of those maps? It’s almost too easy.

boxelder

Of those you’ve seen, I’d suggest:
    Lonscale and Glendaraterra
    Feels like you’re among the mountains and you can extend it up to Skiddaw House
    Tarn Hows and Tilberthwaite
    Lovely range of trails and scenery, with oodles of quaintness and pubs/cafes – but still some really good riding.
    Whinlatter as a reserve option

scaredypants

Yeh, I’ve had the wife up that Lonscale/Glendaterra route (fnarr)

She’s not a biker at all but she made it with only a couple of ded short walks and really enjoyed it. (was a nice warm, sunny day though)

martinhutch

Whinlatter blue is excellent for beginners.

Lonscale could be intimidating (or not!). There are serious drops off to the side at certain points, but if she’s fine with that, and happy with some walking, could be good.

Claife heights and the Windermere lakeside track is excellent, very scenic in places with very little technical stuff unless she’s going well (although a little further from Keswick).

boxelder

A ride along the BWs that go around Cat Bells on a sunny evening is always pretty good – the BW is extended now on the west side from Skelgill to Littletown (Upgraded from footpath). Don’t be tempted to go up over the col though……
    the BW from Braithwaite is good in either direction too (if a bit prickly at the south end here
    Swinside pub pretty good now – and quiet as everyone will be herding into the new Weatherspoons in town…..

sharkattack

Thanks for the pointers. Looks like we’re spoiled for choice. Think we’re going to Hamsterley on Sunday so we’ll see if she qualifies for a big weekend!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘The Lakes for a total beginner’ is closed to new replies.