Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)
  • The House Of Commons debate on cycle safety #cyclesafe
  • GrahamS

Anyone following it, or the The Times live blog:
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3329483.ece

Some interesting stuff being talked about – hope it amounts to more than talking though.

D0NK

just read austins speech, sounds promising, see what happens.

AlexSimon

Listening to it all. A surprising amount of good sense being talked. Only the odd bit of nonesense.

AlexSimon

It’s on live here (although they’ve suspended for 20 mins)
    http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Player.aspx?meetingId=10088

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Makes a change from MPs fighting in the bars, I suppose…!

Good to see that this has made it to the House.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

D0NK – Member

just read austins speech, sounds promising, see what happens.

Nothing

The two critical things – assumed liability and 20 mph limits will simply be shouted down by the motoring lobby as has happened any time they have been mentioned before.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Speed limits are only arbitrary, though, aren’t they, TJ? More of a voluntary thing, wouldn’t you say?

D0NK

assumed liability and 20 mph limits will simply be shouted down by the motoring lobby

🙁

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    The two critical things – assumed liability and 20 mph limits will simply be shouted down by the motoring lobby as has happened any time they have been mentioned before.

Good.

GrahamS

Always frickin naysayin… 😀

D0NK

Good

🙄

think teej might be right tho graham

AlexSimon

Even if those two things don’t happen, there still could be a lot of good to come out of this.
    The Times printed a good list of cycling myths today to hopefully put a lot of nonsense to bed.

aracer
    Free Member

Nothing

So what have you done recently to promote cyclist road safety, TJ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why do you not like assumed liability or 20 mph limits Druidh – they are the two things that would do the most for cycle safety IMO.

Aracer – I am simply sceptical about the outcome of this given previous experience.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Why do you not like assumed liability or 20 mph speed limits Druidh TJ – they are the two things that would do the most for cycle road safety IMO.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

WTF are you on about CFH? making things up again? 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

Makes a change from MPs fighting in the bars,

aye none of the public school boy restraint stuff a proper head butt and then attack your mate when he intervenes then have a go at the rozzers as well [ according to radio 4 PM anyway]
    Can you tell which party he belongs to yet Cpt 😉

aracer
    Free Member

I am simply sceptical about the outcome of this given previous experience.

Though this campaign does seem to have got more happening quicker than anything else I can remember. What previous initiative has a PM put his backing so firmly behind? Also all sorts of good stuff at http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3306950.ece

Is your MP on the list (mine isn’t 🙁 )?
    Ian Austin, Maria Eagle, Tessa Jowell, Kerry McCarthy, Andrew Smith, Lilian Greenwood, Susan Jones, Kate Hoey, Alison Seabeck, John Leech, Mark Lazarowicz, Ben Bradshaw, Zac Goldsmith, Sir Gerald Kaufman, Nia Griffith, Sadiq Khan, Jeremy Corbyn, Heidi Alexander, Stella Creasy, Tony Cunningham, Jim Cunningham, Karen Buck, Martin Horwood, Andrew Slaughter, Meg Hillier, Jason McCartney, Andrew George, Tom Brake, Fabien Hamilton, Guy Opperman, Julian Sturdy, Rehman Chishti, John Howell, Richard Harrington, Rob Wilson, Jack Lopresti, Mark Hunter, Sir Alan Beith, Simon Kirby, Andrew Bingham, Michael Ellis, Mike Weatherley, Sarah Woolaston, Jane Ellison, Gavin Barwell, Mark Menzies, Graham Evans, Paul Maynard, Nigel Mills, Fiona Bruce, Angie Bray, Tessa Munt, Jonathan Lord, Bob Stewart, Neil Carmichael, Andrew Selovs, Stephen Lloyd, Oliver Colville, Shailesh Vara, Sir George Young, Richard Graham, Norman Baker, Andrew Jones, Julian Huppert, Steve Brine, Robin Walker, Sir Bob Russell, Diane Abbott, Jo Swinson, Seema Malhotra, Rushinara Ali, Stephen Pound and Sheila Gimor.

Drac

Oooh mine is, bloody hell he’s doing something instead of moaning in the paper about something his party implemented.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TJ, you choose to disregard speed limits when it suits you, and yet advocate more stringent speed limits. Seem a little odd to you?

Junky, none of my mates were involved. 🙂 Does sound like a proper kicking off though doesn’t it? I gather the headbutt was actually after the police had initially restrained him!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Teh thing is Aracer the thngs that will make a real difference – assumed liability as in most of Europe and 20 mph urban limits have a huge lobby dead set against them. Assumed liability was recommended recently in parliament and the outcry was huge from all the usual suspects. Same for 20 mph limits.

Of course this is good and its only going to have a positive effect but given all previous experience then I think not getting your hopes up means not being disappointed.

Look how anti “pro bike” measures people are on this site.

aracer
    Free Member

TJ, you choose to disregard speed limits when it suits you, and yet advocate more stringent speed limits. Seem a little odd to you?

<shrugs> I’ll join him on that. Happy to admit to paying little attention to the motorway speed limit of itself (though I’ll slow down for conditions), but I do try hard to stick to 30, and can see how useful 20 limits can be in some circumstances (though I don’t agree with TJ on how widely they should be implemented – I suspect anything which does happen is likely to be far closer to my ideal than his 🙂 ). That doesn’t make me a hypocrite – I just think some speed limits are inappropriate.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I gather the headbutt was actually after the police had initially restrained him!

😯

is it on Youtube yet?

druidh
    Free Member

TJ – assumed liability is giving carte blanche to the tossers who cycle through red lights. Liability should be determined by the relevant authorities, never assumed.

20mph limits might have some impact in a few locations. Local authorities already have the power to impose these where they deem necessary/useful. I fail to see what change in the law is required.

TandemJeremy – Member
    Look how anti “pro bike” measures people are on this site.

Disagreeing with you does not make me anti-bike. It just means we disagree 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

the thngs that will make a real difference – assumed liability as in most of Europe and 20 mph urban limits have a huge lobby dead set against them.

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree that they’re the only important things – I’d suggest better driver training is more important than either (though possibly even less likely to happen!) Only good can come out of this – it may just be the start of a changing of the culture.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

20 mph urban limits will not slow traffic flow in most instances and even incree it in some, will mean far less traffic lights are needed, will reduce casualties significantly. Will reduce pollution and noise

There is no downside to it at all

Junkyard
    Free Member

no down side????

Best thing is better driver training and awareness and enforcement of the law
    I realise that expecting mutual respect and polite drivers is like expecting STW BH to not argue.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

druidh – assumed liability would not do that. Thats the myth raised by the drivers lobby. Go thru a red light you then you are liable. Waht you have said is exactly the arguemnt raised by the anti bike folk – and iits simply not true

Assumed liability works across most of the rest of Europe

As for 20MPH limits – its much harder for loacal authorities to do this. It needs to be a co ordinated national policy.

Again proven to have a significant reduction in casualties without any significant reduction in traffic flow.

brakes
    Free Member

they are talking about introducing a council wide 20mph limit in Islington (a large part of it already is). I think it’s a good thing – traffic tends to pootle at 25mph anyway.
    BUT. Have you ever tried driving at 20mph? It’s really quite hard to do below 25mph, you spend more time looking at the speedo than you do at the road.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

no down side???

Yes – no down side.

Traffic flows remain the same, pollution and casualties decrease. Cycling becomes much more pleasant.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Idiots guide to how assumed liability works, anyone? (in a cycling context)

AlexSimon

Damnit – why didn’t I start a company selling trixie mirrors

aracer
    Free Member

Traffic flows remain the same, pollution and casualties decrease.

In some parts of the country. Round here I can easily average close to 30mph over several miles in town at most times of day. You’re also wrong about decreasing pollution with a 20 limit on a road where traffic can otherwise flow freely.

Not that I disagree with wider use of 20 limits where appropriate – I’m just rather less of a fan.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

It’s really quite hard to do below 25mph, you spend more time looking at the speedo than you do at the road.

It shouldn’t be. Most SatNavs (certainly the latest Garmins) can be set to give a tone when you exceed the speed limit – a £100 after market upgrade that gives any driver a warning they’re going too fast without looking away from the road. I’ve always found cruise control to be more useful in town than it is on British motorways – set it at 30 on the roads in and out of London and no need to worry about your speed creeping up. A rental Renault I had a few years back had a two way cruise control – you could set both a speed to be maintained or a maximum speed (ie cruise not on but can’t exceed 40kmh until it’s disabled).

And if 20mph limits become more common then manufacturers will start responding and deliver tools to drivers that help them as OEM.

AlexSimon

Minister for transport just saying that he’s recently made it much easier for local authorities to expand 20mph speed limits. Reduced loads of paperwork and reduced the need for 20mph repeater signs as long as road roundels are in place.

edited for correct minister!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

assumed liability – as I understand it. the more vulnerable road user is assumed not to have been at fault in any collision unless there is evidence to show otherwise.

http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2010-12/1393

so – car crashes into cyclist – car driver assumed at fault unless they can show otherwise – something like cyclist not using signals or lights, cyclist not having right of way, cyclist went thru red light.

if the car driver is driving within the law they have nothing to worry about.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So in case of complete accident on both sides, would the motorist be liable?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No such thing teamhurtmore. Someone has always made a mistake

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am not seeking an argument here but surely accidents happen eg on icy roads/sun blinding both parties where no one is actually at fault. What happens then? Is the motorist always presumed to be liable?

Junkyard
    Free Member

driver slides on ice bike slides on ice both hit..neither speeding both driving appropriately – if they were cars it would be knock fo knock
    now with bikes what happens?
    FWIW I think 20 mph is a good idea as is the liability as it will make drivers attend to us more. I certainly dont expect the later to become law nor do i think it is always universally true [ and therefore it is an unfair law] nor do I think there are no disdvantages to a 20 mph limit even though I would support it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘The House Of Commons debate on cycle safety #cyclesafe’ is closed to new replies.